Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times

Advertisements

A newspaper article today profiled some struggling families. One was a mother and father and their two kids. I think both parents work, but the mom’s hours was cut. The son is special needs and since he is not attending school currently, they had to buy extra materials for him. Okay, I can understand how that is an additional cost, although surely they had some stuff for him already since he was never at school 24/7.

But what puzzled me was the statement that their grocery bills doubled during the pandemic with all of them being at home all the time. School lunches are cheap or free, so I do get that now they are spending more for 40 or so lunches a month between the two kids. But that wouldn’t double the bill. I assume mom and dad either brought lunches to work or ate out, which would be more expensive than eating at home. So how could their grocery bills have doubled just because they are all at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 07:31 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Somethings are more ..we tend to go through more fruit and snacks being home ...some prices are just higher because of demand and hoarding ....

With us , we do all our normal grocery shopping via instacart or fresh direct ..that actually reduced our bills since keeping me out of the store cut down a load of extras and goodies .

But covid also left us home more and going out to do our photography less ....that has got us in the habit of visiting the many gourmet stores we have once a week and that can be costly but what we buy is sooooo good .

So we have seen bills go down on one side but escalate a lot on another ...but not double

Old 03-14-2021, 07:34 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
A newspaper article today profiled some struggling families. One was a mother and father and their two kids. I think both parents work, but the mom’s hours was cut. The son is special needs and since he is not attending school currently, they had to buy extra materials for him. Okay, I can understand how that is an additional cost, although surely they had some stuff for him already since he was never at school 24/7.

But what puzzled me was the statement that their grocery bills doubled during the pandemic with all of them being at home all the time. School lunches are cheap or free, so I do get that now they are spending more for 40 or so lunches a month between the two kids. But that wouldn’t double the bill. I assume mom and dad either brought lunches to work or ate out, which would be more expensive than eating at home. So how could their grocery bills have doubled just because they are all at home?
Because grocery prices have gone up.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/busin...ing/index.html

Old 03-14-2021, 07:36 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Because grocery prices have gone up.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/busin...ing/index.html
No where near double which was the premise in the article.

The reality is overall we likely saved more than many things went up

Life is always a balance of things going up and things either going down or you buy or Do X instead of Y .

we spent way less on travel , entertainment, long weekends ,eating out etc .even less this year on dental .

So overall we spent more on food but less on a lot of other stuff .

Old 03-14-2021, 07:42 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Haven't noticed an increase and if there was, it was definitely not double. Buying from an overpriced grocery store is still cheaper than eating out (well maybe except Whole Foods).

Old 03-14-2021, 07:53 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Groceries and everything else has gone up. Food banks, drives, ... are everywhere. Here they offer everything from daily school lunch to small furniture.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
food prices have definitely gone up,esp sea food and meat,veggies are seasonal.
but if you pay attention to specials each week,you can get some good deal,I bought some Progressive clam chowder for 99 cents one week when it is on sale,same with Campbell soup,frozen dinner from Stouffer,Marie Calender ,LEAN Cuisine.
if their food bill doubles,may be they just like to eat more,could be boredom.also people tend to eat more in winter.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:59 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
food prices have definitely gone up,esp sea food and meat,veggies are seasonal.
but if you pay attention to specials each week,you can get some good deal,I bought some Progressive clam chowder for 99 cents one week when it is on sale,same with Campbell soup,frozen dinner from Stouffer,Marie Calender ,LEAN Cuisine.
if their food bill doubles,may be they just like to eat more,could be boredom.also people tend to eat more in winter.
Exactly, still good deals to be had. Even if you buy an overpriced can of soup for $2.99, you're still saving way more money than getting takeout or higher priced items like certain meats and seafood.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:10 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Very possible the school was providing breakfast and lunch for the children at no cost to the family before

Old 03-14-2021, 09:11 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Grocery bills might go up but other expenses should go down creating a wash. And I think if someone cooks from scratch which I usually do food should not be that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics