Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:18 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is just the beginning of this nonsense to fund their spending jubilee... Entitlements, handouts, stimulus, and subsidies will be the MO of the feds in the near future.

I'm telling you everything will be on the table as the fed deficit starts to hit mid $30 T's and demand starts to dry up for them. They will even do things like go after 401k and Roth ira for additional revenue bases and possibly even look at taxing people's assets like home equity.
A spending jubilee is no good unless it's for the rich!
We should never spend on infrastructure! Dumb!
Who needs good internet, good roads and bridges, a good post office, and so on? Screw all that!

What we need are:
Even MORE tax CUTS for the rich! Like 45 gave us! Those are good, but helping the common man is a complete waste of resources! Who needs those losers?!

Billions for the military budget which is bigger than like 10 other major countries' combined! That's what I like to see! Poor kids? Screw em! Poor moms who need help with day care! Let em work from home (we all know there are plenty of work from home jobs!) Or let em find a job where they can take their babies with them to work! (That's easy to do, too, isn't it?)

Here! here! for more money for the military and the rich! We can never help the corporations enough!
I'd like to see a law stating that anyone who makes over $300k a year pays ZERO taxes!

Who gives a damn about the People?! People on social security and working minimum wage jobs should get ZERO benefits and also pay MOST of the taxes!

[in case you didn't get it the above is satire based on how it seems to me, most Republicans think]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We have a housekeeper who comes every 2 weeks with 4-5 employees to clean our house in about 1.5 to 2 hours. That was pre-pandemic. Now, she is lucky if she can have 1 employee. She says all her employees would rather be paid to stay home than be paid to work. She has had to cancel several of her customers because of a lack of employees.

She's pretty mad at our government.
Well, since the wages for house cleaners - usually illegal aliens or uneducated women - is so low, it makes sense.

If the $15 minimum wage was in effect, to give everyone a livable wage, then those maids would be back to work in no time. At $4-8 an hour to clean a house I don't blame them for staying home if they are getting more to do so. I think it was Franklin Roosevelt who said "If you can't afford to pay someone a living wage then you shouldn't be in business."

Did you ever think they are using this opportunity to look for a higher paying job and maybe one where they don't have to clean feces remnants out of the toilet?

Seems reasonable to me. I hope they find a better job, one that pays a living wage.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Here, servers in fine dining restaurants regularly make $180,000 per year in tips.
Yeah sure...
And IF that's true, how many jobs like that do you think exist?
And how many millions of waiters and waitresses do you think there are who have to work for $2-something an hour and rely on tips for the rest?
Can you handle the truth? :
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/waiter-and-waitress/salary

Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Why don't you explain these loopholes.
I have never made that much so I have no idea what loopholes there are.

Most of us do read, however, that Trump paid NO taxes for 10-15 years and recently paid only $750 for the year here in the USA. (I use him as an example since he's a well known rich businessman.)

We do read that many corporations like Amazon, banks, etc paid ZERO taxes...

So I'm assuming that must be some type of what is commonly known as a "loophole" or what you would probably call a very fair and balanced rule that benefits the rich...

If you or someone else here made over a million dollars last year how about you tell us how much you paid in taxes, as a percentage of your net income? Last time I checked I was paying close to 20% I think, before I retired on a paltry social security check.

All I know is, I paid more taxes than Trump for 10 years and I never made more than $50k in any of those years and some of those years I was on Social Security with a small business that made a net of about gross of $3600 for the year so a total gross with s.s. of around $18k.

So, I am assuming that to pay $ZERO when you make over a million dollars, there must be some kind of law or rule that benefits those millionaires. No?
So that's what we mean by loophole. Again you probably call it a fair and balances tax benefit for people who make a lot of money because, of course, so much of that trickles down on the rest of us!

Care to explain to this poor dummy how corporations and the rich pay zero taxes while we dummies pay more than zero, maybe more like 5-15%?

Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I have never made that much so I have no idea what loopholes there are.

Most of us do read, however, that Trump paid NO taxes for 10-15 years and recently paid only $750 for the year here in the USA. (I use him as an example since he's a well known rich businessman.)

We do read that many corporations like Amazon, banks, etc paid ZERO taxes...

So I'm assuming that must be some type of what is commonly known as a "loophole" or what you would probably call a very fair and balanced rule that benefits the rich...

If you or someone else here made over a million dollars last year how about you tell us how much you paid in taxes, as a percentage of your net income? Last time I checked I was paying close to 20% I think, before I retired on a paltry social security check.

All I know is, I paid more taxes than Trump for 10 years and I never made more than $50k in any of those years and some of those years I was on Social Security with a small business that made a net of about gross of $3600 for the year so a total gross with s.s. of around $18k.

So, I am assuming that to pay $ZERO when you make over a million dollars, there must be some kind of law or rule that benefits those millionaires. No?
So that's what we mean by loophole. Again you probably call it a fair and balances tax benefit for people who make a lot of money because, of course, so much of that trickles down on the rest of us!

Care to explain to this poor dummy how corporations and the rich pay zero taxes while we dummies pay more than zero, maybe more like 5-15%?

No.

The rich and wealthy pay nearly all federal incomes taxes in this country....pretending otherwise is 90% of your problem.

My wife's effective tax rate for 2020 was 29.7%, she paid as shade over $232,500 in federal taxes. For a variety of reasons, chiefly because I'm in the oil and farming businesses we file separately, I'll pay a fair bit more than she did but I don't have the effective rate or total because my taxes aren't done yet. Anyway, your notion that people/families who make over $1MM pay no income taxes is invalidated. Exceptions do not make the rule is a notion you should think through.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I cant even believe that people who earn 1M or more annually post on this forum. The rich get loopholes that the bottom 90% will never qualify for. Invest those gains in the country or pay Biden's tax.
Please name 5 of these loopholes you speak of. I dare you. Strike that; I double-dog dare you.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I hope he gets it and taxes the hell out of the rich! Because they have been getting a free ride for far too long, and the GOP gave them way too much of a tax cut... and many made billions off the pandemic... and the pandemic cost our government a lot of money to help people get through it, get vaccines etc...
And now we need those who CAN to give according to ability... and the rich CAN.
In what way would your life be better? If our government, as you say, "...taxes the hell out of the rich!", please tell us 3 things that would be better in your life.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 06-01-2021 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-01-2021, 09:38 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Here, servers in fine dining restaurants regularly make $180,000 per year in tips.

Where is 'Here' and how many 'fine dining' restaurants are there? Fine dining is a rather vague term what is fine dining to me is probably different from what you call fine dining. The most common way may be to determine what the typical bill for a party of two is at the restaurant.

I suspect that there are very few people who make $180,000 year as a server.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah sure...
And IF that's true, how many jobs like that do you think exist?
And how many millions of waiters and waitresses do you think there are who have to work for $2-something an hour and rely on tips for the rest?
Can you handle the truth? :
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/waiter-and-waitress/salary
We're talking Fine Dining, right?

Let's take Michael's. Menus for Michael’s - Las Vegas - SinglePlatform

Appetizer: Shrimp Cocktail $36
Salad: Spinach Salad: $29
Main Course: Prime Sirloin Steak $99 (alternatively, Dover Sole for $119)
Side of Asparagus: $16
Dessert: Bananas Foster $29

That sums to $209 (or $229 if substituting the Dover Sole for the Steak)

For two people, that's $418 or $458

Add in, say, a bottle of wine for $300

Now you're at $718 or $758 before tax & tip. Tax is $59.24 or $62.54, so the total before tip is:

$777.24 or $820.54 before tip.

Tip is $165 on a party of two.

Or, perhaps my favorite, é by José Andrés. https://www.ebyjoseandres.com/

Everything is Prix Fixe at $290 per person, so $580 for two people. Add in a $300 per person for the wine pairing, and you're at $1180. Tax is $97.35, for a total of 1,277.35 before tip.

A 20% service charge is added to the bill - $255.47 for service for a party of two. You're free to add an incremental tip if you like. If not, your total comes to $1,532.82.

Or, perhaps another favorite of mine, Restaurant Guy Savoy. http://marketeammenucaesarspalaceguy...Sav_Forbes.pdf
The tasting menu is $555 per person, but that includes a wine pairing. $1,110 before tax of $91.58 and tip of $240 for a party of two.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Where is 'Here' and how many 'fine dining' restaurants are there?
Las Vegas. Many celebrity chef fine dining restaurants. I love Restaurant Week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I suspect that there are very few people who make $180,000 year as a server.
I'm not referring to Applebee's. Servers at high end restaurants do indeed make a very nice living. Even less costly but quite acceptable restaurants such as The Palm and Joe's Seafood and Charlie Palmer Steak and Heritage Steak and Fleur and Mott 32 and Old Homestead and Craft Steak and Honey Salt and Every Grain and Bazaar Meat and Mizumi and CUT and -- well, there are many -- are packed and servers are well into the $150,000 range.

That was pre-pandemic, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics