Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:36 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,859,409 times

Advertisements

Like Mathguy said, it isn't about profit, it's about profit margin. More than that, it is about return on equity and return on investment. They have to spend to drill and refine...those are capitalized assets you amortize over long periods of time, and the payback periods are long. There is risk associated with exploration...you may spend all the money drilling only to find no oil. That would be a zero return. There is a price tag you attach to any risk...if an enterprise cannot look forward to making a profit margin, no one would want to take the risk. I am not defending the oil companies for what they charge, nor do I have the appetite to analyze and prepare a dissertation. It's just what business does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 AM

77,977 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Like Mathguy said, it isn't about profit, it's about profit margin. More than that, it is about return on equity and return on investment. They have to spend to drill and refine...those are capitalized assets you amortize over long periods of time, and the payback periods are long. There is risk associated with exploration...you may spend all the money drilling only to find no oil. That would be a zero return. There is a price tag you attach to any risk...if an enterprise cannot look forward to making a profit margin, no one would want to take the risk. I am not defending the oil companies for what they charge, nor do I have the appetite to analyze and prepare a dissertation. It's just what business does.
Yeah, and it's easy to torture numbers....lets say a company makes profits of:

10, 30, 10....well they had a 200% increase! but only a 67% decrease the next year. ;-)

Last I checked, McDonalds made 3.5billion net income on 22.8bil of revenues or >15%.
Exxon-Mobile made 40bil on 400bil of revenues....10%

Garmin made 855mil on 3.1bil of revenues....>25%

Granted we could look at equity and not revenues and get into recognizing capital gains etc. but I'm just making the point that "Big Oil" is to the far left what global warming is to the far right....it's a political hack topic.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,508,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What a poor analysis. You mention increase in profits as that is bad in and of itself....and nowhere address their actual profit margins.

Let me give you a little math lesson...

Bob makes $10 profit then $20 then back down to $10.
His increases are 100% and -50% yet he is back to the same level of profit...how is that?

Math is hard.

P.S. If my company made $100 of profit but made $1000 the next year....is that bad? Well it's a 10x increase, it must be....lol
However, when the price of oil & gas goes up beyond what is reasonable it causes inflation in virtually every single commodity on the earth- both directly & indirectly. Nothing gets to you that doesn't have oil/gas effect it's price in a dramatic way.

When oil companies charge unreasonably high prices and make unreasonably high profits the strong ripple effect destroys the economy and genuine hardship to families.

No one would begrudge a fair & reasonable profit. But I think this is above that and the oil companies have a shared responsibility to understand the effects of their product and it's effect on the world. People are, literally, starving to death now in some areas of the globe over unreasonably high oil & gas prices. I would submit that if gas & oil companies continue to make it a point to be one of the main sources of the problem, then thay have to face regulation and be forced to be part of the solution.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,638,996 times
Short-term profit generally kills long-term survival. So what? The initial investors have already taken their profits out before the companies die. The few that made fortunes from Enron kept the money while the pension funds were looted. What happens to the rest of the society and economy is nearly irrelevant.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,017,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
However, when the price of oil & gas goes up beyond what is reasonable it causes inflation in virtually every single commodity on the earth- both directly & indirectly. Nothing gets to you that doesn't have oil/gas effect it's price in a dramatic way.

When oil companies charge unreasonably high prices and make unreasonably high profits the strong ripple effect destroys the economy and genuine hardship to families.

No one would begrudge a fair & reasonable profit. But I think this is above that and the oil companies have a shared responsibility to understand the effects of their product and it's effect on the world. People are, literally, starving to death now in some areas of the globe over unreasonably high oil & gas prices. I would submit that if gas & oil companies continue to make it a point to be one of the main sources of the problem, then thay have to face regulation and be forced to be part of the solution.
I agree that gas is unique in its impact on the economy as a whole. However, whenever anyone starts talking about a "fair & reasonable profit" then I get nervous. Who is going to decide that?

Price controls - whether in the form of "excess" profit taxes or price caps - only lead to reduced supply. The result is shortages because demand remains constant or is artificially inflated. Then what? Should we mandate that oil companies not reduce production?

By the way, the state tax on gas in California is $.45 per gallon plus there is a 7.25% (at least) sales tax. That is way more than the oil companies or resellers make from a gallon of gas. That doesn't sound fair or reasonable.

People are starving to death because of Congress' mandate on ethanol. Rather than letting the market take care of it we have a bunch of insulated DC politicians who are beholden to Big Green. The high price of gas will naturally create competition in the form of alternative fuels that are now cost effective. It might cause some pain in the transition period but in the long-run the economy will be better off than if lawmakers rush into to try and "fix" things.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

Errr....destructive monetary policy trashing the dollar is the reason oil and gas went up so much (or at least the biggest part of it.) lets not put the cart before the horse here.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Exxon-Mobile made 40bil on 400bil of revenues....10%
In what way is a profit of 10% obscene, abusive or extravagant?

Old 05-18-2008, 06:48 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,773,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It generally isn't, but when that 10% causes inflationary pressures it could be in the oil companies best interests to cut it a bit. Inflation hurts them too...sometimes more than it hurts us.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I didn't say it was or wasn't...it would take more analysis than "gee 40billion is a big number", which is basically the point of my entire post. My personal opinion based on everything I've read and looked at is that it's fine.

I've yet to see a decent economic or financial analysis explaining the profits of Exxon as excessive. The democrats upon taking over congress made a lot of noise but in the end did nothing which indicates to me that this is a political issue and that the profits are not excessive in an actual discussion of people with some degree of education on financial and economic subjects.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM

I think an example is in order.

I love Canadian Maple syrup and pay $10 for a large bottle historically.
Lately, I have to pay $14 a bottle to buy it from Canada.

Some people here are saying that the company selling me the maple syrup is helping cause inflation by charging $4US *more*.....others might say that our monetary policy, hitting the exchange rate has pushed the price up.

If the exchange rate went from 1.4 to 1.0 the Canadian company used to be getting
1.4 x 10 = 14 canadian dollars for their product and is now getting....
1.0 x 14 = 14 canadian dollars for their product

Certainly there is room for a grey area where multiple issues are occuring but I just thought an example might be in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics