Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 06:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times

Advertisements

I've turned down jobs for more money as they would increase my stress levels. My boss wants me to be the team lead when he moves up and I told him no. I've seen the amount of work he puts in and I'm not interested. I'd never really be off as there's always a special project or fire to put out That's the benefit of having your finances in order and not needing the money. I don't completely have a fully funded Freedom Unlimited account yet, but got enough to be able to say no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I bet this thread goes over most folks heads, but how low of a salary would you accept to work in a low stress slow paced position. One where everyday wasn't a fire drill and you actually liked your boss.

I understand we have all been brain washed to believe that the more more money we make the better off we are. But would you take a pay cut to move to a career that wasn't a daily battle of stress, backstabbing, rushing, and being dumped on?
The salary of the low stress job should be enough so as to not to stress me out about current and future monetary commitments.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:19 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
In my experience over 30 years of working that seems to be the formula...low stress=low pay,high pay=high stress.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd42 View Post
I volunteer as a bathing suit inspector - got a hat, shirt and badge - best "job" EVER! Zero pay => negative stress
Don't be too sure about that choice. They make bathing suits for everyone.
https://hobbydb-production.s3.amazon...25.33_20PM.png

Old 07-16-2021, 10:36 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
I bet this thread goes over most folks heads, but how low of a salary would you accept to work in a low stress slow paced position. One where everyday wasn't a fire drill and you actually liked your boss.

I understand we have all been brain washed to believe that the more more money we make the better off we are. But would you take a pay cut to move to a career that wasn't a daily battle of stress, backstabbing, rushing, and being dumped on?
I don't think like that.

The more money one has the better off s/he is in a financial sense - without derivative thinking there's no valid counter argument.

It's seems like you've been overmatched by a job or jobs. Don't project that on everyone else.

Last edited by EDS_; 07-16-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 10:42 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Having no money will cause you stress in just about every other aspect of your life.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:58 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,268 times
Most of the jobs I've had that paid well were either soul sucking high stress, constant rush, deadlines, office politics filled hells capes, with 60+ hour weeks so I could not even enjoy all that money I was making because by the time I rested up it was time to go back to work. or extremely physically demanding job's.

While jobs I actually enjoyed and had the free time to have a life I was usually living paycheck to paycheck, sad those are usually my only choices but I will pick low pay / low stress every time.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:59 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I've experimented with this. I left a medium pay but low stress job for a high pay, high stress job. The grass is always greener. When I'm super stressed at my current job, I think back to how life was just fine when I had less money and I always came home at the same time and calm. But back then, I remember thinking how I need to make more money and never would get there at the previous employer.

You're basically trading one stress for another. I do wish that my wife would be less concerned about what other people's houses look like and just be happy with ours. I feel her stress for wanting bigger and better coming through at all times, which was part of the reason for going for the high pay job. I do love the intellectual stimulation at the high stress job, but I miss being stress-free after work and on weekends.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:08 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Quote:

No. I once did that. I was fired from my job as an outside insurance adjuster. Lots of stress trying to meet quotas, and a nasty, demanding supervisor. I think I lasted about 6 weeks. So I went to work at my friend's parents liquor store, part time, for minimum wage. I figured this will be an easy, low stress job. I stocked shelves and refrigerated display cases, mopped the floors, bagged ice from the ice maker, ran deliveries, and filled in at the cash register when needed. One day the owner's wife comes in with two bottles of vodka in her hands and was screaming at me. "You put a quart in with the fifths. We could have sold a quart for the price of a fifth." I was ready to quit but the owner came in and smoothed things out.

I learned then, always go for decent money and learn to handle the stress. I have turned down higher paying jobs, but I never again went to a lower paying job. The best bet is to find your niche. Something you enjoy and are good at and pays enough money to be comfortable. At that point, stay put.

Last edited by bobspez; 07-16-2021 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 11:26 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:

Your condescending post does not go over anyone's head.

High stress creates growth opportunities. If your life is too easy, you probably will never amount to anything. Look at most of the scions of wealth, Hollywood stars' kids, etc. Mostly worthless and mostly drug addled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics