Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
And we are supposed to believe that NYT and WaPo are not biased in their "reporting"?? Wiki is left leaning as well. Consider All sources then make your own judgments. FWIW, the article had reasonable points to make.
The best way to appear fair and balanced is to sprinkle in some truth, reason and common sense amongst the propaganda. Make no mistake, the Epoch Times is as hardcore, white wing messaging as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 09:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Do you mean like an "early bird special"? I haven't seen anything like that in ages.
Happy hour specials usually have discounts on food and drinks. Usually 4-7pm

Old 08-16-2021, 10:37 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, there's a joke about this

Pessimist studies English
Optimist studies Chinese
Realist learns how to use AK-47
I don't understand the pessimist/optimist part. Why does studying a language make you an optimist or a pessimist? Seems I'd be more like to study Chinese if I was a pessimist, expecting them to conquer us or something.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:40 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Do you mean like an "early bird special"? I haven't seen anything like that in ages.
Most diners here have early bird specials. Some of the nicer places at the shore do, too, cause most people spend the day at the beach go home and shower and head out to eat at 7 or so, everyone shows up at once while it's empty at 4:00, 5:00, etc. If you're in an area with a lot of chains they don't usually have these special hours.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:53 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I like the "early bird specials" because they usually are smaller portions. I don't like the large portions served in most American restaurants. I hate wasting food. And I don't do doggy bags without an actual dog at home.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:48 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Oh okay well let’s ignore the obvious

Quote:
The Epoch Times is a far-right[12] international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement.[17] The newspaper, based in New York City, is part of the Epoch Media Group, which also operates New Tang Dynasty (NTD) Television.[18]

The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[20] promotes far-right politicians in Europe,[3][5] and has backed President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[21] a 2019 report by NBC News showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[18][22][23] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation.[18][24][25] In 2020, the New York Times called it a "global-scale misinformation machine".[21] The Epoch Times frequently promotes other Falun Gong affiliated groups, such as the performing arts company Shen Yun.[14][26][21]

Per wiki which although not completely solid certainly far exceeds your credibility
Had never heard of Epoch Times before seeing this. Thanks for the warning. I'll pass.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:57 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
You need to get out more. A lot of restaurants do happy hour food and drink specials.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default You live in Canada??

Food is my major outlay now. I almost never go out to eat any more and I"m surrounded by great places, but they don't have competition and you're paying to the building. They sure aren't paying the help much. The same for grocery stores: they DETONATED the original union agreements in the early eighties but food prices are now controlled by location, supply chain control, and central control. We'll be slimmer come next year.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:41 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Seems like everything is crazily spendy.

I was looking at simple metal-poles that are used mainly as posts for chain-link fences.
They used to sell for ten to 12 bucks a pieces...........but now I see prices in the
26 to 30 dollar range.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I stay stocked up regardless of prices or inflation so I can always just sit out buying some things for years if I need to.

I tend to always have at least two years worth of paper products, kitchen items, bath items, detergent, etc.

Sometimes I'll have three -- or MORE years of something...and I'll get down to two years' worth, and psychologically I feel like that's a low stash. Even though it's still two years. Strange, I know. But I wasn't running around like crazy when there was no toilet paper to be found. I got to sit back and just watch the frenzy. I'm not a pepper by any means. I just think it's best to be as prepared with as many "needs items" that one does use daily, weekly, mostly.

I haven't been as low as "just" one year's worth of paper towels, toilet paper, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, toothpaste, bath soap, dish detergent, laundry detergent, spices, plastic food storage bags, lotion, candles, cleaning supplies, weed killer, plant fertilizer, furnace filters -- in YEARS!

(And that's just off the top of my head.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics