Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,356,122 times

Advertisements

one never know,next week,it could be 900,000 jobs created,these days nothing is definite,only death and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 05:57 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,379,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
LOL more anecdotal stories of "WOE is me, worker shortages abound"

Tell me specifically where is the labor shortage then. Why didnt you state where? Give yourself some credibility. I have not seen this labor shortage anywhere I go.
Oh good grief, in the OP I linked directly to an article on the very lackluster and disappointing jobs report. But wait, I'll add more just to please you:

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...ose-wages.html

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4106002.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/labo...loyment-2021-7

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...st-2021-08-10/

Quote:
The percent of small firms reporting open job positions reached a 47 year high at 48% in May’s NFIB Small Business Economic Trends survey. Over 60% of business owners report a shortage of labor, over 20% characterizing the shortage as “critical” to business operations. Over 80% reported a loss of sales due to the labor shortage, 19% experienced serious losses.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=6aa657fa1fb0

There are tons more but I'm tired of cutting and pasting links at this point. Just google Labor Shortage.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:37 AM

21,738 posts, read 9,294,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do you have something more definitive like an article from some life science magazine? What company at least? Is your company willing to pay for all the training?

Maybe the $15/hr was for for H1B visa cheap labor, and priced out all the Americans years ago. Anyone with that education likely cant pay back their student loans anyways. So either they never went that route, or found something pays more. Hence not enough people.

LOL more anecdotal stories of "WOE is me, worker shortages abound"

What is the name of your govt lobby?

Tell me specifically where is the labor shortage then. Why didnt you state where? Give yourself some credibility. I have not seen this labor shortage anywhere I go.
It's everywhere. Go ask any restaurant or small business owner.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,356,122 times
-----
where did you go?your basement?the state prison?

Old 09-06-2021, 09:20 AM

4,884 posts, read 2,980,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
-----
where did you go?your basement?the state prison?

Nursing shortage, teacher shortage, definitely airline staffing shortages.
And if you need any construction trades to fix your house, lead times are WAY up.
LOL, there's always a shortage of correctional officers; one of the worst jobs on the planet.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:35 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,141,405 times
A lot of people woke up in the last year to the possibility that maybe, just maybe they didn't have to settle for subsistence level pay in a demeaning job and those people have been looking for and accepting better jobs before settling for their pre-pandemic dead-end. Those businesses whose existence depends on rock-bottom labor costs are re-examining their business models.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:47 PM

307 posts, read 161,799 times
Around here, places are despearte for help and restaurants are busier than I have seen in years. If you has asked in 2018 if all of the chain restaurants in this area would still be open today, i would have identified at least 2 that I would have expected to close becaus ethey were dead. Now, they are slammed on weekends and busier than I have ever seen for weekdays. Sme for local restaurants. BUT, food service tends to be a crappy job expecially if you rely on tips so they are having a hard time attracting employees.

All other sectors seem to be booming judging by how easily many recent college graduates were hired for career positions and how many mid-career acquaintances were able to switch jobs. I am going to guess that it is regional. Some places just seem to always be hit hard and are slow to recover when there is any economic dowturn or negative event.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:44 PM

19,944 posts, read 8,840,719 times
just look at the number of available jobs from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.....it's all there are people blind?

Old 09-06-2021, 09:38 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,962,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We gave up on a new custom built. Chatting with individual builders in our not very cookie cutter neighborhood - brick layers are book for 9-12 months, painters 12 months plus, do not look for a plumber unless you date one or are family.

Fast food and US chains are offering 16+ and immediate benefits and sign on bonuses for unskilled labor.
The issue is those tradesmen are generally booked with high end housing home developments and such, to the point where it's nearly impossible for an average person with a small project to warrant their time to come out for the estimate, much less complete the project.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:43 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,962,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
And you're in East TN, right? This is very true in Metro Nashville, as well.

Heck, I moved to another suburb last summer and was looking for a new hair stylist. I lost count of how many I called to schedule an appointment, multiple times, before any of them called me back. Most never returned my calls.

I called landscapers. Most never got back to me. Called contractors to get quotes for a couple of jobs. If they ever returned my calls, it took weeks. I've left messages with a few places to get my car detailed. Crickets.
This is correct.

It isn't so bad here because this area isn't in demand compared to middle TN or even western NC.

I had a heat pump contractor out within a week of me calling with a new heat pump in within ten days. My parents had a backsplash for the kitchen done within six weeks. I have enough personal connections to where I could probably get a handyman to do something small relatively quickly.

That said, I've never seen anything like this on the labor shortage, but it's not like wages are budging much here. Sonic here in Bristol is paying $10/hr. In Weaverville, NC, where my girlfriend lives, it's $17/hr. For carhops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics