Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times

Advertisements

Noticed that MANY tax credits for families filing MFJ phase out around the $160k income range. If you have several kids in school, making just above that feels like a punitive cliff.

It is HARD to get promotions/raises, and seems like hardworking families with children in school are being pummeled by sharp tax policy credit/deduction income phaseout cliffs, many in that same ~$160k range. In some cases it would be better to make less, given the sharp cliff phase out of credits.

Doesn't seem right to me. A more gradual phase out slope seems more "fair" and not punishing hardworking families just making a little more than the cutoffs.

$180k income is NOT rich. Much more in common with $150k income than people making $400k income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:43 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
You have to draw the line somewhere and being a hhld earning 150k or more puts you in the top 18.3% so where do you want the magic line drawn? It’s not about being rich as that’s certainly not how the line is https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ome-in-the-us/

Edit: and being in Houston you are almost 2.6x the median HHLD I think you’d be able to survive with fewer tax breaks

Old 01-17-2022, 11:33 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
In addition to it being, top 20 percentile to be in that income range (agree with low expectations it has to start somewhere), that’s also the taxable income phaseout, not just household income. In other words, they would be AFTER the 25k (ish) married standard deduction and other tax deferred items like 401k. So they’d be making 180+ or more gross.

Additionally, many of the tax credits usually have phaseouts. It’s not like you hit 120 or 160 and it’s always automatically gone. It’s often reduced $50 or $100 or whatever for every $1,000 you’re over until it’s eventually gone. Which means your “you’d be better off making less” claim isn’t true. It’s also not true because if you make an extra $1,000 and got taxed at 24% on that marginal dollar, you still got to keep 76%. Just because you may have lost a non refundable credit that dollar for dollar credit that applies to your tax liability does not mean you’re worse off to earn the extra income that costs you the credit.

And no 180k of income isn’t “rich” because 1 year of income doesn’t speak to wealth, but being in that income range certainly places you on the trajectory to be rich. Ie top 20% tile

Last edited by Thatsright19; 01-17-2022 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-17-2022, 11:35 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Just wait. Once your kids are ready for college, you'll likely discover how pointless it is to fill out the FAFSA.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:51 AM

464 posts, read 314,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Noticed that MANY tax credits for families filing MFJ phase out around the $160k income range. If you have several kids in school, making just above that feels like a punitive cliff.

It is HARD to get promotions/raises, and seems like hardworking families with children in school are being pummeled by sharp tax policy credit/deduction income phaseout cliffs, many in that same ~$160k range. In some cases it would be better to make less, given the sharp cliff phase out of credits.

Doesn't seem right to me. A more gradual phase out slope seems more "fair" and not punishing hardworking families just making a little more than the cutoffs.

$180k income is NOT rich. Much more in common with $150k income than people making $400k income.
In my mind, $160K/year is still a whole lot of money for people to make. When I made that kind of money, I took international vacations and stayed at places where people showed up in the likes of Rolls Royce and Lamborghini. -And still saved way more than I spent. So, yeah, I would consider people who make that kind of money to be in the rich category.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:40 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Because we have a very progressive tax system which a lot of people don't understand (I didn't) until they start clearing that hurdle. They don't publicize it a lot because it doesn't support the 'fair share' narrative.

I used everything I could to minimize the AGI....max 401k, max HSA contributions. Only so much you can do.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:00 AM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
In my mind, $160K/year is still a whole lot of money for people to make. When I made that kind of money, I took international vacations and stayed at places where people showed up in the likes of Rolls Royce and Lamborghini. -And still saved way more than I spent. So, yeah, I would consider people who make that kind of money to be in the rich category.

I make double that and I don't feel rich.
I can afford just about anything I want, but I still look for the best possible deals.
My last stay was $125/night in Miami Beach, compared to some of the $300/night places I saw.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:06 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And no 180k of income isn’t “rich” because 1 year of income doesn’t speak to wealth, but being in that income range certainly places you on the trajectory to be rich. Ie top 20% tile
You have a very odd definition of rich - being in the top 20% percentile (I assume you mean top 20% of wealth).

Old 01-18-2022, 09:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
You have a very odd definition of rich - being in the top 20% percentile (I assume you mean top 20% of wealth).
You didn’t understand what I said. I literally said word for word that 180 income doesn’t speak to being rich because wealth is what makes someone rich. Then I said that incomes puts you on the “trajectory to be rich”…ie potentially…someday.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
$160k HHI........really depends on where you live.

That income in NYC, Honolulu, San Francisco etc., is going to hit differently than it would in Detroit, Omaha or Birmingham. Obviously if you have more kids that makes a difference as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics