Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 04:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
screw them - they took the money they need to pay it back like the millions of other kids and young adults that have
This is all that needs to be said. Guess schools didn’t teach them how the real world works, and they didn’t attend the school of hard knocks, well guess what, knock knock your installment payment is due again soon. Figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 04:32 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The issue with the student loan debt forbearance is that many didn't continue paying on their debt at 0% interest, nor saved the money from the forbearance. So where did this money go? It very well could have went to trips/experiences or a new car for them. The best decision students could have made was pay what they could on their student loan debt, so that all their payment would go to principal reduction.

The students who were really hosed with the forbearance were the students who refinanced their Federally funded loans to private loans with SoFi. Those students received a cheaper rate, but had to continue paying their student loans throughout the entire pandemic. I would recommend any student to seriously consider all options when refinancing their Federally funded loans to private loans. You have so many perks available to you under the Federally funded loans compared to going private just to get a 2% rate cut.
Particularly if you are in a public interest field/job and can join the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. For me, this forbearance has been wonderful. Even if this thing is not extended again past May 1, I would have been able to keep at least $10k in my pocket during the pause while adding having that time count as if I was making payments.

If I have to resume payments in May, I'll definitely get through it, but I won't exactly shed a tear if the pause continues

Old 02-23-2022, 08:29 PM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
Good.

Maybe this will drain some of the liquidity out of the economy and reduce the amount of money chasing too few goods and services.

Maybe they'll seek a second job (or in some cases, a first job) in order to pay them off, thereby helping with the labor shortage.

This is a win, win for society.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:09 PM

46 posts, read 63,717 times
Why all this talk of loan forgiveness?? You signed an agreement... You got your money and education. The deal was you pay it back. Time to honor your end of the agreement. Have some integrity and self responsibility people! It's not like there aren't jobs to be had.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:07 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Why all this talk of loan forgiveness?? You signed an agreement... You got your money and education. The deal was you pay it back. Time to honor your end of the agreement. Have some integrity and self responsibility people! It's not like there aren't jobs to be had.
I think it all depends on what you mean by forgiveness as there is an actual Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that people also signed an agreement for whereby the balance of their loans are forgiven in exchange for making 120 timely payments while employed at a qualifying public interest job.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:59 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Anyone else worried what impact this will have on the markets and economy?

Over 40 million people haven't had to make student loan payments in nearly 2 years. People freaked out when their monthly child care act payments dried up, whats going to happen when inflation hits 10% and people have to start making those $500 student loan payments again?

I'm genuinely starting to get very worried.
A lot of those people have good paying jobs and can make those payments.

Know any young doctors? This has been a huge win for them as they carry house sized student loan debt in many cases.

Gotta pay your debts folks.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Because politicians keep dangling in front of young voters like a worm on a hook only to yank it back out of reach after an election.

That's why so much talk continues.

Well that and the scam callers.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How is student loan debt tax deductible?
The interest is.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:30 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How is student loan debt tax deductible?
You should receive a form 1098-E from your lender. Deductibility of student loan interest is phased out for high earners.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p97...link1000178281

Old 02-24-2022, 01:30 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think it all depends on what you mean by forgiveness as there is an actual Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that people also signed an agreement for whereby the balance of their loans are forgiven in exchange for making 120 timely payments while employed at a qualifying public interest job.
This is a really good point and, to be fair, we should definitely distinguish between blanket forgiveness versus Public Service Loan Forgiveness. I assume the OP meant the blanket forgiveness for all federal student loan borrowers despite what job they have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics