Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 02:59 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I own multiple six figures in gold but only through Gld ….I have no reason to take possession of it

Not something you should be concerned about since you can't through GLD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 03:02 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
You could be watching craigslist for a safe. You can score a used jeweler's safe for free every once in awhile.
The only bad side is paying a rigger to move it. Bullion isn't expensive if you buy it by the gram. If you're sitting on a stack of 1 oz bars and the SHTF and you want to buy a chicken to feed your family, are you gonna part with a $1900.00 1 oz bar or a 1 gram bar?

As far as gold bond funds/shares/whatever you call it, There's a saying on another forum, "If you can't hold it. You don't own it."

Gold breached $1900 a few times. Has SHTF yet?

Old 02-25-2022, 03:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
You do understand though one would liquidate GLD and buy physical right? It should be pretty obvious the poster doesn’t want physical and hence GLD was utilized instead

Quote:
Gold breached $1900 a few times. Has SHTF yet?
Are you purposefully missing the point or is that an accident?

Old 02-25-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
It's good to keep some precious metals at your home stored in a safe,
It is? For what practical purpose?

Old 02-25-2022, 03:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Bullion isn't expensive if you buy it by the gram. If you're sitting on a stack of 1 oz bars and the SHTF and you want to buy a chicken to feed your family, are you gonna part with a $1900.00 1 oz bar or a 1 gram bar?

Problem here, again; is the premium.
The less in weight you purchase, the more you pay.
Example being a gram of gold is at $61 spot today, buying that gram will cost $85.
That's roughly 25-30% mark-up, when typically ounces carry 8-10% premium(mark-up).
And in an STHF, precious metals won't be worth anything until later in the game; by then you'll starve to death.
As chickens will be in such short supply, nobody that has them will want your gold grams.
In this line of prepping thought, you're better off buying such things as freeze dried coffee, sugar and booze to barter with.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:55 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Actually one could take possession with Gld ….but it is likely going to require more shares then typically individuals hold

Can an Investor Take Physical Possession of the Gold Backing His/Her Shares of SPDR® Gold Trust?

The Trustee of the Trust, The Bank of New York Mellon, does not deal directly with the public. The Trustee handles creation and redemption of the orders for the Trust's shares with Authorized Participants, who deal in blocks of 100,000 SPDR® Gold Shares (each a “Creation Unit”). An individual investor wishing to exchange the Trust’s shares for physical gold would have to come to the appropriate arrangements with his or her broker and an Authorized Participant.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:53 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It is? For what practical purpose?
In case you need to immediately access some. I strongly recommend against keeping more than about $5K worth of precious metals in your home, however.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
I recall last time I visited APMEX website,it is the largest precious metal dealer,it offers a service where you can store your gold in US vault,Europe(Swiss) or Asia (Singapore) vaults,they do not operate these vaults,but they can arrange t o ship yours there.
Of course we are talking large quantity

Old 02-25-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
In case you need to immediately access some. I strongly recommend against keeping more than about $5K worth of precious metals in your home, however.
Again what practical purpose would I need immediate access to precious metal?

Old 02-25-2022, 05:40 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Krugerrands are a good sized unit to have your gold in. Not too small, and not too large. Just 1 oz. coins. I sold all mine, years ago. If I'd held on to them and sold today, I'd made an add'l $1000 per oz!

Now, as far as silver goes, some say that this element is due to appreciate more strongly than gold. The problem with AG is that you'll need to store a couple tons of the stuff, to make a decent amount. That's a logistical nightmare, I'm sure.

Problem with BOTH gold & silver? It takes too much room to have a solid value in dollars. Gold bricks are $756,000 roughly. (400oz X $1890ea.) That's too big, bulky & heavy, for only $756k. Silver is even worse.
Easiest way to carry A LOT of money in goods? A pocketful of 5-6 carat cut diamonds will surpass that $756k, easily. They're light, travel well, don't show up in metal detection at airports. Just a smuggler's paradise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics