Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 10:25 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Because increased government spending to finance the war does nothing to create economic growth and prosperity. That is because the money to finance that increased government spending is drained from the private sector, either through increased taxes, or increased borrowing. Increased government borrowing drains investment capital from productive activities in the private sector and reallocates it to non-productive government consumption.
So, the plan to deflate the massive global debt bubble is to... incur more global debt? Can you explain this logical Mobius Strip to me?

Old 02-28-2022, 12:59 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm sure it would create all sorts of issues, but that doesn't mean that it isn't doable. Given the response Russia is receiving, I have no doubt the US would go 'financial nuclear' if it is a net gain.

What you think you know, doesn't matter. If Russia can't finesse what they want, I think they will do whatever indiscriminate damage they need to do to reach their goal. They have attempted a softer war to this point. I won't be surprised if that changes if an agreement isn't reached very soon.
You don't seem to get the point - the US can not default on payments to anyone and ignore a debt loan - the only reason that a government loan has any value is the assurances that it will be paid. The US would never be able to sell another note to any other country if they defaulted for any reason. The best that could be done is put the payments in a trust and then maybe make a case for using it for something like reparations for a war.

Your statement was and is still nonsense - Russia is not "incentivized (sic) to bomb indiscriminately.... destroy all infrastructure". They want a functional Ukraine, not a place that will require rebuilding at an enormous cost. While they may end up doing significant damage, they have no incentive to do widespread and indiscriminate damage. Remember also, one of the main reasons for attacking was to protect ethnic Russians, indiscriminate bombing hits everyone.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:54 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You don't seem to get the point - the US can not default on payments to anyone and ignore a debt loan - the only reason that a government loan has any value is the assurances that it will be paid. The US would never be able to sell another note to any other country if they defaulted for any reason. The best that could be done is put the payments in a trust and then maybe make a case for using it for something like reparations for a war.
You don't seem to get the point. There is no 'can't'. US can do whatever it decides to do. IF China took Taiwan, debt probably wouldn't be paid. It's a given that a ribbon and bow can be put on whatever financial action was taken, but bottom line is any Chinese debt could and probably would be extinguished. The harsh financial sanctions currently taking place with the Russian situation are showing what we would be willing to do. I'm aware that if this hypothetical situation were to occur, the repercussions could be life altering here in the US.

Quote:

Your statement was and is still nonsense - Russia is not "incentivized (sic) to bomb indiscriminately.... destroy all infrastructure". They want a functional Ukraine, not a place that will require rebuilding at an enormous cost. While they may end up doing significant damage, they have no incentive to do widespread and indiscriminate damage. Remember also, one of the main reasons for attacking was to protect ethnic Russians, indiscriminate bombing hits everyone.
You pretend to know what Russia's final goals are. You do not know. Nobody knows aside from Putin and perhaps his inner circle. As stated earlier, the more Ukraine civilians are armed, the more destruction will and has occurred. After the action is done, I don't believe Russia is going to rebuild Ukraine. If the civilians are armed, they are targets if they are firing from a building, the entire building becomes a target. Infrastructure isn't the first target (Or it would have already been wiped out), but as circumstances change, it can and likely will become targeted. I don't believe Russia was taking this action to protect ethnic Russians, but they wouldn't be targeted either way as long as they aren't firing on Russian forces. If losses continue to mount, I think Russia will decide their armed forces are more important than protecting Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:09 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'm with you. Something needs to be done to pop this unlimited QE global everything bubble thrust upon us by the swamp. If that means a nuclear weapon lands into a city in Ukraine, well it would achieve it's objective quite nicely.

We are not going to default on our debt... the central banks are now the primary global bond buyers. The private sector is going to play less and less a factor in holding bonds as time goes on. Like it or not QE is likely here to stay, and inflation is likely here to stay, but a world war that destroys a lot of infrastructure and kills a quarter the earth's population would act like a great reset. I can see some elites seeing the positives of this scenario.

Wouldn't that be something after years of locking down the planet and crippling the supply chain to save nursing home residents from a coronavirus.

I think what they started in 2008 to try to prevent recessions forever by using QE to prop everything up was doomed to create a super-event at some future date, whether it's a war or economic collapse. It's just part of universal law that cycles, vibration, are part of existence. The more you try to put out those forest fires, the more the forest floor is littered with debris that could spark an inferno at any time.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-28-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-28-2022, 12:04 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'm with you. Something needs to be done to pop this unlimited QE global everything bubble thrust upon us by the swamp. If that means a nuclear weapon lands into a city in Ukraine, well it would achieve it's objective quite nicely.

We are not going to default on our debt... the central banks are now the primary global bond buyers. The private sector is going to play less and less a factor in holding bonds as time goes on. Like it or not QE is likely here to stay, and inflation is likely here to stay, but a world war that destroys a lot of infrastructure and kills a quarter the earth's population would act like a great reset. I can see some elites seeing the positives of this scenario.

Wouldn't that be something after years of locking down the planet and crippling the supply chain to save nursing home residents from a coronavirus.

I think what they started in 2008 to try to prevent recessions forever by using QE to prop everything up was doomed to create a super-event at some future date, whether it's a war or economic collapse. It's just part of universal law that cycles, vibration, are part of existence. The more you try to put out those forest fires, the more the forest floor is littered with debris that could spark an inferno at any time.
The global financial paradigm should have collapsed in 2008. The world has been living on borrowed time since then. We sold our souls to the devil to delay the day of reckoning and continue the euphoric drunken debt orgy for a little while longer. Well, now the devil has come to collect. The longer the Day of Reckoning is delayed, the more cataclysmic it will be when it finally does happen.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:22 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The global financial paradigm should have collapsed in 2008. The world has been living on borrowed time since then. We sold our souls to the devil to delay the day of reckoning and continue the euphoric drunken debt orgy for a little while longer. Well, now the devil has come to collect. The longer the Day of Reckoning is delayed, the more cataclysmic it will be when it finally does happen.
https://youtu.be/aTM_Zb6g2j0

This is basically you right now.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:26 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
Default Our little troll must go back to school

1947?? Reminds me of Bluto and his timeless speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Old 02-28-2022, 07:32 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You don't seem to get the point. There is no 'can't'. US can do whatever it decides to do. IF China took Taiwan, debt probably wouldn't be paid. It's a given that a ribbon and bow can be put on whatever financial action was taken, but bottom line is any Chinese debt could and probably would be extinguished. The harsh financial sanctions currently taking place with the Russian situation are showing what we would be willing to do. I'm aware that if this hypothetical situation were to occur, the repercussions could be life altering here in the US.

You pretend to know what Russia's final goals are. You do not know. Nobody knows aside from Putin and perhaps his inner circle. As stated earlier, the more Ukraine civilians are armed, the more destruction will and has occurred. After the action is done, I don't believe Russia is going to rebuild Ukraine. If the civilians are armed, they are targets if they are firing from a building, the entire building becomes a target. Infrastructure isn't the first target (Or it would have already been wiped out), but as circumstances change, it can and likely will become targeted. I don't believe Russia was taking this action to protect ethnic Russians, but they wouldn't be targeted either way as long as they aren't firing on Russian forces. If losses continue to mount, I think Russia will decide their armed forces are more important than protecting Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure.
You clearly don't care to learn - you can't take the actions you propose - I already explained why.

Russia's stated goals are not a secret - if you really don't believe me, try going to tass.com and see what are Putin's stated goals on the official Russian news agency website;

Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a televised address on the morning of February 24 that in response to a request by the heads of the Donbass republics he had made a decision to carry out a special military operation in order to protect people "who have been suffering from abuse and genocide by the Kiev regime for eight years." The Russian leader stressed that Moscow had no plans of occupying Ukrainian territories and the operation was aimed at demilitarizing and denazifying the country.

When clarifying the unfolding developments, the Russian Defense Ministry reassured that Russian troops are not targeting Ukrainian cities, but are limited to surgically striking and incapacitating Ukrainian military infrastructure. There are no threats whatsoever to the civilian population.
The stated goal is to protect people from abuse and genocide - you don't do that by killing those you are protecting. They may move past those stated goals but it is incorrect to say they are "incentivized to bomb indiscriminately.... destroy all infrastructure" - they still have every intention and incentive to do as little damage as possible.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:06 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
The stated goal is to protect people from abuse and genocide - you don't do that by killing those you are protecting. They may move past those stated goals but it is incorrect to say they are "incentivized to bomb indiscriminately.... destroy all infrastructure" - they still have every intention and incentive to do as little damage as possible.
You are clearly wrong and the events on the ground are proving it. Had their polite war been more effective they would have done very little damage. It has become obvious that it hasn't worked. Before this is over Ukraine will look like Syria. Meanwhile you will continue to pretend there is no disconnect between what you are writing and reality.

Regarding China and debt. All is fair in love and war. The US and Europe are seizing billions or trillions in Russian assets and bank accounts. Regardless of what you think "Can't" happen, it can happen, your explanation is words on a page...reality is a different story.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:54 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Time of destruction and darkness is coming
1. How do we measure this to know you were correct?

2. When?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics