Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 05:08 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder about this too. Not in the lofty positions, but why can’t a drive through hire competent people? They used to be able to, but what has changed?
People stepped back, and asked themselves: "If 8 solid hours of work can't pay 24 hours of rent and utilities, food, clothing, healthcare and perhaps even a little bit of those activities that makes us human, what is the point?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 10:36 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
From what I've been told, $19 per hour in Oregon is basically minimum wage once you factor in the COL. That would explain why you have no takers. If your business model only works with people accepting rock bottom wages, then you have an obsolete system that in today's COVID 19 era, will force you out of business. Only those businesses that can survive while paying competitive wages will thrive. And that's probably for the best.
I had to have roommates for my apartments back in the day to bring down COL. Didn't most of us? Is that concept so unacceptable? Who is paying these kid's way? It's not food stamps, and there isn't enough section 8 to house the millions upon millions out of work.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:39 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
People stepped back, and asked themselves: "If 8 solid hours of work can't pay 24 hours of rent and utilities, food, clothing, healthcare and perhaps even a little bit of those activities that makes us human, what is the point?"
And I get that point.
However they have to live somewhere, and somebody has to pay their way, so how are they doing it?

Old 03-13-2022, 12:09 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There are two actors in the labor market - employer and employee. If it takes offering 60K to fill a position, then that's the labor market putting a price tag on the job.
Then the price of the service or product offered will skyrocket.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:52 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Where I work we used to get 100-200 apps for ONE position. Now we struggle to get 10, many postings get less than 6 when they're open for a month+ and half are not qualified.
By one reckoning, there being 100 applications for a single position, is a bit of a tough challenge on the employee-side, no?

In current conditions, if you get 6 applications, and half are unqualified... does that not mean, that you have 3 qualified applicants for one position? 3:1 are still odds in favor of the employer. If I were vying for a job, and had to contend with 2 other applicants who were just as qualified, I'd be lamenting the tight and cut-throat job market!

Quote:
... Very few of our jobs are worth what it costs to buy a 700k house when 5 years ago they cost 350k and was well within the realm of possibility for our workers to afford. That's the fundamental problem.
Then the fundamental problem is neither core-inflation nor wage-stagnation, but the runaway growth in housing prices. It's not a sick job-market, but a sick housing-market... and that, one hopes, would eventually in some way correct.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:05 AM

808 posts, read 541,189 times
Quote:
We are now 6+ months out from the "free money" spigots being turned off. Where the hell did everyone go?

Are you requiring your employees to wear masks and get vaccines?
There are a lot of people who would rather be poor than endanger their health.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:12 AM

808 posts, read 541,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Well, since the person(s) with the upper hand (ie the applicant)are less informed on business module or labor laws . I find such employees need not apply.
There is still a healthy set of society that contributes , isn't complaining at the water cooler. Actually works!!
Learned to do more with less staff. Because the mindset of those applying here of late is one I find lazy, demanding and unable to comprehend work ethics. We don't need a body . We need an abled adult with sensibility, working their skills and being appreciated.
I have to say, I agree with you.

I know a number of 20-somethings with a few years experience, and complaining about their work. They really don't want to work. They have a very poor work ethic, want their jobs to be "fun", and not too much hassle, and they don't seem to have a common sense nerve in their bodies. They quit easily, and G-d only knows where they get their money.

I'm really glad I'm not in the hiring mood these days!

Old 03-13-2022, 04:49 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Let me throw this out as a possibility.

Maybe people moved away from your area because they were competing with 100-200 applicants for positions or because they couldn’t afford to buy a home? But if you’re going to say that house prices are up because people are flooding to the area as desirable, then that calls into question the “where did everyone go”.

Or maybe the applicants today look at your college the same way you used to look at the 100-200, with mostly unqualified resumes. They see their job prospects and your pay offered and say this college isn’t qualified to hire me.

Maybe your college got fat and happy with what it takes to compete and started to subsist off one sided power in economics and is now being severely punished for it? I bet the college offered under qualified people advice and coaching on how to become more competitive…well maybe the shoe is on the other foot? Maybe the administration thinks they can recruit the same way they did over a decade ago during the Great Recession, and they’re now the unqualified dinosaur?

It’s not just outside applicants sending a message, from the sounds of it the internal employees are ready to walk out if it doesn’t change.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 03-13-2022 at 05:29 AM..

Old 03-13-2022, 05:40 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I had to have roommates for my apartments back in the day to bring down COL. Didn't most of us? Is that concept so unacceptable? Who is paying these kid's way? It's not food stamps, and there isn't enough section 8 to house the millions upon millions out of work.
It is becoming increasingly socially acceptable for multigenerational housing. With fewer kids per family while not yet in the Chinese position of the golden son one of the two not six, Brady kids does stay in the attic apartment with her new family.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:42 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
And I get that point.
However they have to live somewhere, and somebody has to pay their way, so how are they doing it?
Family, or if that bridge had been burned by mental illness then card board boxes and tents on public streets and land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics