Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Algae, algae, algae the greeen solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:51 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Ethanol is a lost cause, it is expensive, more so than oil, and many other things that are problmeatic with ethanol.

Brazil gets away with it because they have the fraction of consumption we do, that is because many people are poor and can not afford to consume oil in any form.

Also, Brazil is not oil independent, they still use oil for many things, they just do not import it, yet.

Coal prices are up and if coal is used for more than what it is used for now, it will go up even further, plus liquefaction has its problems.

Butanol, you have to be kidding me.

Electric? You seen electric prices? what you think they will be if everyone had an electric car?

Oil is still cheap compared to any other alternative.

By the way, wikopedia is not a reliable source for info, so use better sources next time.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Ethanol is a lost cause
I think Brazil shows us otherwise, the problem is the focus on creating ethanol from corn.

Quote:
Electric? You seen electric prices? what you think they will be if everyone had an electric car?
Electricity is expensive because an energy company can't just create a nuclear power plant when there is a supply problem. But if oil truly became a problem we could create a number of additional plants. We really don't have an energy problem, there is more energy in a single lake then we would ever use.

But I think you fail to get the point. The main issue is energy production (we have plenty of oil for the other things oil is used for) and there are many different energy sources. It seems people are often looking for one thing that can replace oil, but why is that necessary? Why can't a bunch of different energy sources replace oil? People that can utilize electric cars will, people that still need the current gasoline based vehicles will use a fuel made from oil, coal and ethanol.

Anyhow, there will be some pain as we transition to alternate energies, but if oil prices stay as high as they are they will be developed.

Quote:
By the way, wikopedia is not a reliable source for info, so use better sources next time.
Wikipedia does a great job at introducing to a subject and that is all I intended.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I think Brazil shows us otherwise, the problem is the focus on creating ethanol from corn.

Electricity is expensive because an energy company can't just create a nuclear power plant when there is a supply problem. But if oil truly became a problem we could create a number of additional plants. We really don't have an energy problem, there is more energy in a single lake then we would ever use.

But I think you fail to get the point. The main issue is energy production (we have plenty of oil for the other things oil is used for) and there are many different energy sources. It seems people are often looking for one thing that can replace oil, but why is that necessary? Why can't a bunch of different energy sources replace oil? People that can utilize electric cars will, people that still need the current gasoline based vehicles will use a fuel made from oil, coal and ethanol.

Anyhow, there will be some pain as we transition to alternate energies, but if oil prices stay as high as they are they will be developed.

Wikipedia does a great job at introducing to a subject and that is all I intended.
I think we should have a national policy and goal of bringing on line at least 50 new nuclear power plants producung at least 1000 mega watts a year for 4 years (200 total plants making 1000 mega watts each). Perhaps some of these can be built in a partnership with Mexico and Canada.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Our lifestyles are going to change in future years. There is no question about that. We are going to be more electric and less fossil fuel. Electricity is something we will never run out of. Oil is.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Our lifestyles are going to change in future years. There is no question about that. We are going to be more electric and less fossil fuel. Electricity is something we will never run out of. Oil is.
look into Pebble Bed nuclear reactors

Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
I think we should have a national policy and goal of bringing on line at least 50 new nuclear power plants producung at least 1000 mega watts a year for 4 years (200 total plants making 1000 mega watts each). Perhaps some of these can be built in a partnership with Mexico and Canada.

Where you think we get our nuke fuel from now? give you a hint, we import over half of it.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
>>The oil number people say we will mostly stop driving and be bid out of the market between $5 and $10 a gallon. >>

I'm already there. I spend $500 a month to commute... and I drive a Honda! I commute 150 miles a day to the city, so I am planning to rent a room near work 4 nights a week and come home on the weekends. No, moving into the city is not financially realistic, and I don't want to be there anyway if the unprepared masses don't behave themselves when the SHTF. Also am looking into a lower-paying job closer to home, that I can ride a bus to daily. Pays less, but I can still sleep at home.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
kevk,

Good point. I sold our condo and bought land with a four-season stream so I can create hydro power all the time, as long as there is snow melting in the mountains. I hooked up a few squirrel cages to alternators to keep a 12v battery bay charged, then run everything off 120 inverters at the house. For now, we use a generator for the washer and dryer, but if the SHTF we will wash in the stream and hang out to dry. Believe it or not, our fridge and new freezer run 24/7 off that bank of golf cart batteries!

I'm in Washington state or I would have gone solar.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM

74 posts, read 206,093 times
Quote:
Our lifestyles are going to change in future years. There is no question about that.
Smaller cars? Smaller houses? Less conspicuous displays of wealth? Longer work weeks? Less benefits?

We will adapt. Our ancestors did OK with much less. It will be painful to have our job replaced by a younger, lower-waged worker though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics