Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 11:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 956,773 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an EV and scoured the entire state for a Nissan Leaf, cheapest EV available after tax incentives.

At one dealership, not only does the Leaf have a $3k markup, every single vehicle they are selling, down to the grocery getter Nissan Sentra has a $3k markup. "Because of the chip shortage".
I offered MSRP, they basically laughed so I walked. I paid invoice for the last new car that I bought 15 years ago and don't play these games.

Yeah, I get it. Demand is greater than supply so they get to charge a premium because someone more desperate who is willing to pay the premium is going to buy it.

Sucks for those who are poor or desperate though, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 11:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I'm looking for an EV and scoured the entire state for a Nissan Leaf, cheapest EV available after tax incentives.

At one dealership, not only does the Leaf have a $3k markup, every single vehicle they are selling, down to the grocery getter Nissan Sentra has a $3k markup. "Because of the chip shortage".
I offered MSRP, they basically laughed so I walked. I paid invoice for the last new car that I bought 15 years ago and don't play these games.

Yeah, I get it. Demand is greater than supply so they get to charge a premium because someone more desperate who is willing to pay the premium is going to buy it.

Sucks for those who are poor or desperate though, right?
If you were going to sell your home, would you lock the selling price to what it was 2 years ago, or be “greedy” and take the current market rate?

You use terms like desperation, but the real reason is everyone values it differently. That’s why capitalism creates win win transactions. If it’s not worth it to you, the deal doesn’t happen. If enough people think like you, the price will come down. Our opinions are just one.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:10 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Ah, too bad and not fair that you can't have whatever you want at the price that you decide is fair.

Yes, supply and demand. No cars, many people who want one and the people who are willing to pay the most get the cars. You get to decide. You can make an offer and if they refuse, you can pay the asking price, or you an walk away and go to a different dealer and buy a different type of car. Or maybe do without a brand new car for another year.

Or the government could dictate what the price that is allowed so that everyone could afford a car equally and then nobody would get one because the manufacturer could not produce them for that price. Like trying to get a new car in communist Russia or in Cuba today. The price is right but the cars don't exist.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ah, too bad and not fair that you can't have whatever you want at the price that you decide is fair.

Yes, supply and demand. No cars, many people who want one and the people who are willing to pay the most get the cars. You get to decide. You can make an offer and if they refuse, you can pay the asking price, or you an walk away and go to a different dealer and buy a different type of car. Or maybe do without a brand new car for another year.

Or the government could dictate what the price that is allowed so that everyone could afford a car equally and then nobody would get one because the manufacturer could not produce them for that price. Like trying to get a new car in communist Russia or in Cuba today. The price is right but the cars don't exist.
It wasn't the price that I decided was fair. It was the price that the manufacturer decided was fair. The stealership decided to price gouge which really is the death knell for them as more manufacturers like Tesla move to a direct to consumer sales model.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:57 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Have you thought about getting a higher paying job where you can save up the $3000 you need for the car?

Old 08-11-2022, 12:03 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Have you thought about getting a higher paying job where you can save up the $3000 you need for the car?
It’s too greedy to get a higher paying job. It’s better to just sell to the lowest bidder for your labor that comes around just because they want labor really really bad.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
If you paid invoice for your last car that means you paid the same price the dealer paid and almost certainly less than MSRP. Why wouldn't you pay them MSRP since that's the fair amount? Or it was OK since it worked in your favor, but now that market conditions favor the dealer asking over MSRP is unethical?

Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
It wasn't the price that I decided was fair. It was the price that the manufacturer decided was fair. The stealership decided to price gouge which really is the death knell for them as more manufacturers like Tesla move to a direct to consumer sales model.
That price was decided by the manufacturer because people are paying it. YOU may not want to, but others clearly are. It is supply and demand. Always. That's how it works.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I can afford the car.
I just won't pay above MSRP on principle.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
If you paid invoice for your last car that means you paid the same price the dealer paid and almost certainly less than MSRP. Why wouldn't you pay them MSRP since that's the fair amount? Or it was OK since it worked in your favor, but now that market conditions favor the dealer asking over MSRP is unethical?

You need to get educated on car purchasing and running a business. Do you really think dealerships sell at cost to customers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics