Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 12:08 AM

26,146 posts, read 21,364,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Wait, you can use Credit cards with venmo?? Please detail that as I would LOVE to pay people w/ that and get points!
Amex allows it at no fee currently and you do not earn points with the transactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 12:30 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,506,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Never use Paypal or Venmo to get paid for your work. If somebody uses a credit card and send you the money using either they can easily call their CC company and say it was a fraudulent charge and venmo will immediately freeze your account. Then once the CC company starts an investigation and determined that the payment was not authorized. They will freeze your account for 180 days and refund the money. You will have no say and can't do squat.

I sold a wheel and tire to somebody from Facebook who paid me $600 via venmo. Then the person complained they didn't authorize the payment and venmo froze the money and gave it back to the sender. The person sent me money without even listing what it was for and no tracking. Just direct. I was robbed of my wheel and tire and Venmo charged me a service fee to collect.
That's a good warning. With all the ways to scam people these days, there are bound to be some ways that you fail to pick up on. I was under the impression that Venmo was like a debit card in that it takes the money directly from your bank account when paying so it's a lot harder to get the money back than a credit card. But you're saying something about a credit card use with Venmo? So you can use your credit card to pay instead of it taking it directly out of your bank account?

As for the OP's situation, I don't use a debit card with Venmo, it's just linked directly to my bank account. I've used Venmo for a couple years and have nothing but good things to say about it as I use it only between people I know but thanks for the warning, and sorry for what happened.

Does anyone know if I run the risk of fraud by having Venmo linked directly to my bank account?

Old 09-03-2022, 04:51 AM

3,871 posts, read 2,068,683 times
Quote:
Never use Paypal or Venmo to get paid for your work. If somebody uses a credit card and send you the money using either they can easily call their CC company and say it was a fraudulent charge and venmo will immediately freeze your account. Then once the CC company starts an investigation and determined that the payment was not authorized. They will freeze your account for 180 days and refund the money. You will have no say and can't do squat.

I sold a wheel and tire to somebody from Facebook who paid me $600 via venmo. Then the person complained they didn't authorize the payment and venmo froze the money and gave it back to the sender. The person sent me money without even listing what it was for and no tracking. Just direct. I was robbed of my wheel and tire and Venmo charged me a service fee to collect.
Hope you reported the thefts by fraud to police and Venmo, Facebook and your AG
They need to start paying attention to those types of crimes.
If the crossing of the state line was involved - maybe complain to federal authorities? Actually the fact that it was a “wire” transfer of funds should be enough for them

That person did or will do that again. Would be nice if he gets nabbed

Old 09-03-2022, 08:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,190,784 times
My main issue was the system not working. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the app. It was a little sticky, rejected once, then worked.

My horses are in a different state so face to face is out. I was overnighting money orders since she doesn't have PayPal but that's ridiculous. (I paid her last month via Venmo with no problem.)

My contractors prefer Venmo.
At least it worked one more time. I can hardly wait to see what happens next time.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:27 AM

3,000 posts, read 2,317,740 times
Quote:
Wait, you can use Credit cards with venmo?? Please detail that as I would LOVE to pay people w/ that and get points!
They charge a 3% fee.
https://venmo.com/resources/our-fees/

Old 09-03-2022, 08:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,318,226 times
Quote:
The recipient would end up getting less of your money,or does it work the other way?

Old 09-03-2022, 08:49 AM

6,409 posts, read 6,931,117 times
Quote:

I use it all the time, clients pay me on it countless times with zero problems. It is the same thing as PayPal, if you want money right away, it’ll cost you or wait 1-3 days to get the full amount. I did try and pay someone thousands for something and it wouldn’t work for me. Instead I went to my bank nearby got cash, then buyer had to count it all…it was thousands…he miscounted, etc…it was a pain, but it all worked out.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,769,287 times
I honestly don't really understand why both PayPal and Venmo exist, especially considering that PayPal owns Venmo.

That said, Venmo is super easy and user friendly, and since so many people have it, I have it. It's easy to send money and there are zero fees, so I don't have any issues with it.

I only use it casually to occasionally easily send money or pay someone back. Although since 2020 (the pandemic), I rarely have gone out and rarely use it much.

I have Paypal too, and I only really use that if I'm buying something or donating and don't want to have my information attached to the order (as to not get a ton of emails I need to unsubscribe from). One time, I was trying to find a rare item, and the only place I could find it from was a somewhat shady looking website. Turned out my instincts were right. I placed the order through PayPal so as not to expose any direct credit card info. It turns out it was a sham site. The person somehow had a confirmation that an item was delivered, but it never was. Luckily I used Paypal, and with a quick phone call I got a full refund within seconds.

Long story short, I have both Venmo and PayPal and while I don't use them much, have found them to be convenient at times.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
There’s a no fee option if you push the money from an American Express card account.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...mo-and-paypal/

Quote:
Yes! Eligible Card Members can use the American Express App to send money to any Venmo or PayPal user. First, you’ll need to enroll in Send & Split®, which can be found in the “Account” tab of the Amex App. You can then add money from your American Express Card to your “Amex Send® Account” and then send that money to Venmo or PayPal users of your choosing. Any balance loaded to your Send Account appears as a charge on your Credit Card and is subject to the APR of other purchases on your billing statement – in other words, it’s not treated as a cash advance, and you won’t have to pay cash advance fees.

And more good news – you won’t incur the standard credit card fees charged by Venmo or PayPal. Considering that fees are generally 3%, that can add up to notable savings – especially if you’re often paying back friends and family for dinner, drinks, or other purchases. PayPal may charge for transactions outside the United States, however.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,318,226 times
How does VENMO pay its bill if it is free?
The only time it makes money would be when you use your credit card and there is a 3% fee,it gets to keep 2% of that fee.
The difference between Paypal and Venmo is that when you use your credit card to pay someone,the recipient pays the credit card fee,3.xx % plus transaction fee of 30 cents while with Venmo,it is the sender who pays the fee.
Paypal has other features,it facilitates ecommerce,offers buyer and seller protection,currency conversion ,say if you are in Argentina and sold a nice watch online and receive payment in US dollars,you may keep it as US dollars in your Paypal account,until you want to convert to another currency(fees applied),which is a nice feature if you are from a country with depreciating currency.
If you use a Paypal debit card to go shopping as a credit card,Payapl gives you a cash rebate of 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics