Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would love to see a depression and everybody get what's coming to them.
You have really gone off the rails over the years. What a bitter, resentful, and selfish little person you've become. Enjoy your loneliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:13 AM

66 posts, read 48,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Won't be long until CNBC dusts off it's favorite clown Peter Schiff and asks him to be on every day telling us the world is going to end.
And don't forget to buy gold!

https://schiffgold.com/peters-podcas...g-much-longer/

Old 09-07-2022, 06:48 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus_2 View Post
And don't forget to buy gold!

Why wouldn't I?, as it's still out-performed stock this year as a whole.
How long do you think a recession can be postponed?, which we've been doing for over a decade.
Economies only grow when there are enough people spending and earning, which was recently created artificially through QE. This began when the boomers stopped spending around 2007, just prior to the first "stimulus checks". The candle is being burned on both ends, only 15 years ago we didn't have inflation problems.
We need to allow the economy to self-correct to where it should be, or the inevitable recession will only become magnified.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:58 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
EU metal foundry corporations sounding alarm that they won’t be a le to continue operations. Europe is starting their implosion.

https://eurometaux.eu/media/qnhn5k30...06-09-2022.pdf

Old 09-07-2022, 07:12 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
More doom. EU to propose mandatory electric demand reduction

https://mobile.twitter.com/discloset...388898594816#m

Old 09-07-2022, 09:02 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
More doom. EU to propose mandatory electric demand reduction
California is doing the same. "Encouraging" people to avoid charging EV's (at home?) during certain hours.

And California is set to mandate EV ownership in a few years.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:06 AM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
For the past couple of decades, public utilities sound the alarm to reduce electricity usage during peak temperatures of the summer - as if this is a new event that they could not forsee.

At the same time, those utilities do not add incremental electricity generation capabilities. And the grid operators appear not to upgrade their transmission lines for more power.

My response to public utilities who ask me to adjust my thermostat: "Hell No. Build More Power Plants, You Morons. Strongly Worded Memo To Follow."

Old 09-07-2022, 10:05 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Haha no. I just want to be able to buy a house at a reasonable price. And they were reasonable just 5 years ago. 3 years ago even.
5 years ago you would have thought housing prices were unreasonable. It's all about perspective. 2006 saw very unreasonable housing prices for the time which now don't appear so bad. Inflation has always been around and always will be. Obviously the US has done a good job controlling it, until recently. It's just a part of life and more specifically it's just one factor of economics.

In 10 years, you will think today's housing prices were a steal. Don't fight the market, hedge your bet and buy a home. That's the only way to ensure your costs are fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
For the past couple of decades, public utilities sound the alarm to reduce electricity usage during peak temperatures of the summer - as if this is a new event that they could not forsee.

At the same time, those utilities do not add incremental electricity generation capabilities. And the grid operators appear not to upgrade their transmission lines for more power.

My response to public utilities who ask me to adjust my thermostat: "Hell No. Build More Power Plants, You Morons. Strongly Worded Memo To Follow."
We need more nuclear power. I love how everyone wants to switch to EV, meanwhile they are shutting down nuclear plants due to the ecological impact when disaster strikes (extremely rare). We need to embrace and expand to using more nuclear power now than ever!

Old 09-07-2022, 08:18 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
It's a strange recession with "now hiring" signs on every storefront.
That is due to millions dropping out of the labor force during covid. Many retired early because they had hefty gain in their home values and stock maket investments. Employers are hiring to get back to full staff to take care of the normalizing demand.

Most economic metircs remain below normal, but the bullwhip effect is making things appear like we are better off than we really are. We still have nasty inflation that is being undr-reported by the feds, and a recession that is not likely to end soon.

I do not see a collapse as being imminent though...just tougher times ahead for everybody...except the top 1%...they are so far ahead of the rest, a setback is meaningless to them.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:52 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysofsummer View Post
Yep. And they'll tell you how you're bitter and cruel...hahahaha. As if anyone gives a damn about anyone else in this society, while they were getting richer off the asset bubble, they happily threw others under the bus, so yeah let them get what's coming.
It is you two guys that seem to not give a damn about anyone else in this society - wishing for everyone to suffer so you can save a few bucks. Get real and buy what you can afford, prices are not going down just because you hope they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics