Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home in a hood vs. homeless in a world class city?
Home in a hood 55 87.30%
Homeless in a nice city 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

Some folks like to raid the garbage cans in upscale neighborhood,like Beverly Hills,CA and find things they can resell for good money.
Some raid the dumpster of pizza parlors for din din.
Some raid dumpsters of supermarkets,they throw away sushi,cakes,bread,deli meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:42 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Of course I'll choose a home (anywhere) vs being homeless. I'm not afraid of living among neighbors who aren't wealthy enough or want to live in a big high class city.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:29 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,817,548 times
I would not accept that those are the only 2 choices.

I'd change the rules of the game. I'd live in a Mansion in Beverly Hills.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:46 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I would not accept that those are the only 2 choices.

I'd change the rules of the game. I'd live in a Mansion in Beverly Hills.
If we only had the money.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:18 AM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_denoah View Post
If you were to pick one which would you choose?
Logically, I would think that if you're homeless you are unable to take advantage of any of the things that you deem to make those cities world class.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Of course I'll choose a home (anywhere) vs being homeless. I'm not afraid of living among neighbors who aren't wealthy enough or want to live in a big high class city.
it is not so much as poor or not wealthy neighbors,it is they are watching you and want t o steal from you.-your car,your home furnishing,your wallet !!!!!oh,also your mail

Old 11-06-2022, 08:50 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I voted homeless in a nice city, not for me but because that’s what I see. Check out coastal towns in Southern California that have a fair share of people with no fixed abode. It’s usually the younger set, who see it as a temporary vacation on the streets. The older guys are smart enough to accept local assistance programs.

Personally of course it’s a moot point. While financially responsible for myself since the age of 18, I chose to study and work hard. So at worst I might live near a bad area but never within. But I do feel bad for those with true physical and mental disabilities.
Have you ever been to skid row? Those people are not on vacation. Living on the streets is very dangerous. You are going to be dirty with dirty clothes. No place to take a dump.

It all depends on the details. How long and exactly where. If you are talking 30 days. Living in a van in Southern California is probably better than 30 days in a very dangerous part of Detroit. If you had to do this for the rest of your life. You want a real roof over your head no matter where.

If you are talking about literally living on the streets under an overpass in Los Angeles or some homeless camp. You are likely to get robbed, beaten or worse and struggle to get food to eat. Most of the people are mentally ill and or suffering from addiction. I would take Detroit.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:58 AM

Once I overheard a phone conversation between a local judge and a private practice lawyer in Chicago,they are talking about winter is coming and more homeless street bums will be brought into a facility which they both invested in,this facility pays a person who brought these homeless persons in and collect a fee,as winter approaches,many would not survive on the streets of CHicago.
I believe Medicaid is paying $3k plus for each and it is a profitabe business .
You can place 4 in one room, and they provide 3 meals a day and watch to make sure you dont get out easily,no cigarette ,no booze,you do the math.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:33 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Aside from the mentally ill. I think the problem is that people that grew up in high COL cities don't all make good decisions (like anywhere) and despite having the home field advantage in terms of culture and connections, when people burn through those and become homeless, the lack of initiative to even attempt to restart somewhere else springs from excuses of why their area is better than all others. It's a snobbery they can't afford. The would rather be in the city where they are a native born and raised and then fill in the excuses as to why they can't make it there, than they would be to simply go someplace where living is easier and carve out a humble life for themselves.

Take South Dakota. Not only is the unemployment rate just 2.3% (lower than the US), but labor workforce participation rate is 68.9% (much higher than the US). Rents anywhere in the state can be found for $XXX a month. The medical systems are good. The schools are good. Yet for someone here in Silicon Valley they view the option as being sent to a labor camp in Siberia. The reality is living here is tough and competitive. There's only so much land and there is competition for it. Whether that edge comes from being super smart and in demand, super clever or taking regular people and all agreeing in some way that the entire extended family will live together.

I don't feel bad for the natives being "forced out". These people had the option to buy any of these seven figure homes when they were low 5 figures. They had the option to work at the best companies when standards were lower. They had access to stock insider information before anyone else. Or they could choose to rent and live easier...or not work as hard...and not value relationships....until one day they have no more options. The tide carrying most up is now leaving them behind. If they missed it for their hometown, they saw the same cycle again with neighboring communities and missed it time after time as more and more people moved in and the game kept getting harder and harder to start.

Just like an addict, a person has to hit rock bottom in order to finally change themselves. If that's what it takes for an entitlement to a community that is no longer warranted to break....then they can take the freedom of the US and move.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:01 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The ONLY people who would prefer the homeless life are MENTALLY UNSTABLE (and other).
I agree. Homeless anywhere is nasty, unsanitary/filthy, and dangerous, especially in world class cities. Detroit and similar bad areas may be bad, but at least I'd have a consistent place to lay my head every night and to connect/disconnect from the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics