Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 04:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,315,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I keep hearing the Dutch, and other central banks have a plan to re-value gold; like FDR did in the 1930's.
Is this even possible in today's globally connected economy?.
Thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated.
what does it have t o do with globally connected economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Gold is always recycled and mined.
While silver, in many cases; is cost prohibitive to recycle as an industrial metal.
Deductive reasoning states silver should be a better investment than gold(see rhodium recently).
Yet, the markets always seem to defy this logic.
Gold has earned its worth going way back when meteorites used to hit this planet and they conatins harmful radiation, gold shields us from radiation.
It seems every place where certain minerals is abundant,they can be used to build a wall,and they dont know anything about radiation,but they see people getting sick,so they call it evil.
so jade ,lapis lazulis,gold are all good to use to fend off evil spirit.
When Moses came down the mountain with 2 pieces of stone,they are radio active and the Ark IS Built with one foot of gold inside ,bottom ,top and left and right side,and when they spent 40 years in the desert,there are always 4 men carrying the ark and sometimes it will start acting,these 4 men do not last more than 1 year and often died of cancer.
Some think when they reach Jericho,they shouted and brought down the wall,with the help of that thing inside the ark .

and there is also this belief,that people from another planet destroyed the ozone in the air and came to Africa to mine gold,they will grind gold into dust and scattered them in the sky to shield them from the sun ray.
Silver does not have this quality,I dont know what else is it used for but as a store of value,like silver coins,silver bars?

Old 11-14-2022, 05:07 PM

17,318 posts, read 13,047,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
An article in WSJ reported 400 tons of gold were bought by assorted central banks,100 tons can be accounted for,but who bought the other 300 tons?
Speculation is either oil rich Saudi or Russia .Or even China.
It aint me,so dont point a figure at me !

Market prices as of November 11, 2022
300 Tons of Gold is Worth U.S. dollars (USD)15,311,100,000 Euros (EUR)15,044,750,000 British pounds (GBP)13,108,987,500

Old 11-15-2022, 07:43 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,620,565 times
Quote:
Gold has earned its worth going way back when meteorites used to hit this planet and they conatins harmful radiation, gold shields us from radiation.
It seems every place where certain minerals is abundant,they can be used to build a wall,and they dont know anything about radiation,but they see people getting sick,so they call it evil.
When Moses came down the mountain with 2 pieces of stone,they are radio active and the Ark IS Built with one foot of gold inside ,bottom ,top and left and right side,and when they spent 40 years in the desert,there are always 4 men carrying the ark and sometimes it will start acting,these 4 men do not last more than 1 year and often died of cancer.
Some think when they reach Jericho,they shouted and brought down the wall,with the help of that thing inside the ark .

and there is also this belief,that people from another planet destroyed the ozone in the air and came to Africa to mine gold,they will grind gold into dust and scattered them in the sky to shield them from the sun ray.
Silver does not have this quality,I dont know what else is it used for but as a store of value,like silver coins,silver bars?
LOL, what does make believe fantasy land have to do with gold? Maybe Santa uses gold to pay for materials for all the toys he has the elves make. Maybe Willie E Coyote uses golg to pay ACME for all the great real items he buys. They also could have split the gold between them so kids get toys and ACME can pay its employees.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:39 PM

4,841 posts, read 2,950,529 times
Quote:

What is this biblical babble?, my first thought was; Jesus was sold for silver.
If anyone else here, who isn't smoking really good cannabis can answer; my question remains.
Can gold, held by many countries; simply be re-valued higher?...as was done back in the 1930's.
I don't foresee anyone complaining about becoming richer overnight.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:06 PM

I am just telling you about why gold is sought after since antiquity,it must have some quality other minerals do not have.
Why would MOSES line the ARK with one foot thick of gold,not silver or copper or mud?
why arent people getting rich hoarding gold,thats a different subject

Old 11-15-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I am just telling you about why gold is sought after since antiquity,it must have some quality other minerals do not have.
Why would MOSES line the ARK with one foot thick of gold,not silver or copper or mud?

Gold never oxidizes or becomes tarnished, even in saltwater.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:28 PM

526 posts, read 286,792 times
hope they didnt buy GLD. check out this monkey business

https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...an-2022-12-01/

HSBC will have to share custody with JPMorgan of $52 bln in gold bars

Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 PM

105,686 posts, read 107,663,235 times
nothing wrong with that .

gld is the largest gold etf in the world .

no reason it shouldnt have more than one custodian.

i like it better with jp morgan involved

Old 02-16-2023, 10:32 AM

[quote=mathjak107;64880492
i like it better with jp morgan involved[/quote]

Really?
https://www.reuters.com/article/jp-m...-idINKBN26K325
Now I generally enjoy reading your posts, but...
I'll wager you one ounce of gold they made more in profit than the fine levied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics