Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,945,887 times

Advertisements

I feel almost guilty saying this, but the high cost of gasoline has actually helped me out.

I work at a restuarant in the middle of a urban area in central Jersey. Usually, we die down in the summer, as people go on vacations, go to the beach on weekends, etc. Well, so far, this year business is up UP UP

Thing is, I was thinking that with the Jersey shore being a hour drive, more people are less inclined to spend close to $80 just to get there. This is an urban area within about fifteen miles of most of our clientele, so instead of people heading to the beach, they are entertaining themselves locally, i.e., by coming to our restaurant. The owner agrees, and thinks that this summer should be a record-breaker for us. No longer is central Jersey a ghost town in the summer, as more people are seeing that the price of travel just isn't worth it and that it is more cost effective to entertain themselves closer to home.

I bet this is going on all-over. Businesses and retail outlets near urban centers will see a small spike compared to other vacations seasons, as "stay-cations" become the norm. Look at it this way: a family is sad because they can't go to the beach, sense it cost $80 on gas, but spending $40 on a trip to the local movie theatre is not bad by comparison. While vacation spots will see a downturn in their incomes, local business that normally loose due to people heading away for the summer, like my job, will see more local people stopping by.

All I know is, that my tips are up and the regulars are here, and not at Long Beach Island...business has to be down for them, but it's up for me. I feel bad for them, but at the same time, I am happy that I am slowly saving more money to buy a Smart Forttwo smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

55 miles to the gallon!...call me nuts, but I just prefer driving small cars, even without taking gas into consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 678,085 times
makes sense, my buddies and I were playing a vacation a whole lot closer to home than we were a few months ago

Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,655,470 times
There is a silver lining in every cloud and there are a LOT of silver linings in this one!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,740,120 times
I also like rising gas prices, I have always wanted a way to "stick it to the utility companies" and with rising gas prices and a push for plug-in hybrids, I can't wait to get my hands on one... even government corruption and Big business can't stop the power of money.... automakers aren't going to sit quietly by and lose tons of money... they HAVE to make plug-in hybrids or die like the dinosaur... I hope high gas prices will last until 2010 went plug-in hybrids are made... I would like to see more advance on wind, solar, and geothermal power... they are the death of utility companies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics