Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,893 times

Advertisements

I've seen on eBay where sellers that take personal/cashier checks or money order would claim that it takes 7 to 10 days to clear. Is this true? I did not inquire what bank(s) the seller uses. BofA - from my observation and a customer - takes no more than 3 business days. And I haven't been able to find any banking documentation (from BofA website) that mentions this. Maybe the bank is local-only. But I wonder: are there banks out there that take that long to clear checks? Or are eBay sellers lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I had a check from my tenants and after almost 7 business days my tenant called me to say there was a problem with their check and it would bounce. I already had the money in my account. The tenant told me exactly what had happened and they offered and paid me the costs for the checked being returned and I got a new check the same day. My bank charged $ 15.- for the returning check and she had to pay costs too (not sure how much). My tenant claimed the cost to the party at fault...but my experience was after 7 days the check was taken out of my account so if I would except a check I would wait at least 10 days to be sure. By the way I only except PayPal on Ebay when I sell and use it also to pay...much better and safer.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I think there is some rule where you can actually "attempt" to cash a check twice if it bounced on the first attempt... so if it bounced on the first try, then try a second time.. it it doesn't go through then it is permanently dead... I seem to remember this from a TV court trial... so it may be 7 days because of this rule?? Don't know..

Old 06-14-2008, 06:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
While the check may clear in 3 days...if it bounces it takes about a week for the depositor to find out about it.

The holding time is usually set by the seller.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Almost all domestic banks now participate in electronic clearing of checks... they clear overnight.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Almost all domestic banks now participate in electronic clearing of checks... they clear overnight.
Or even the same day.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think there is some rule where you can actually "attempt" to cash a check twice if it bounced on the first attempt... so if it bounced on the first try, then try a second time.. it it doesn't go through then it is permanently dead... I seem to remember this from a TV court trial... so it may be 7 days because of this rule?? Don't know..
It can take up to 7-10 business days for a check to clear. Not all institutions have switched over to the full Check 21 program yet. Quite a few of the smaller banks/credit unions may use a bigger bank to do their check processing, and sometimes in order to cut down on fees they may have lag time before it gets sent to processing bank. I know work at a credit union and when we take a check in it will not got to our processing bank until the next day so you have two days before it clears.

Also yes there is a rule that you can only run a check twice. You are not required to run it twice if you do not intend to prosecute but if you do want to keep that as an option you must run it twice. Another option is if you receive a check that will not clear you do have the option of getting a Cashiers Check if the bank/credit union it is drawn on is near you.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yeah, it will be on your account overnight but can be taken out if it bounce...which can be a week later...

This is also the trick that scam artist use...saw it on Dateline....
they send you a check and you deposit it and they tell you a day later they paid to much and request you send the amount that was to much...to be send back...the rest you can keep...than a week to 10 days later the first check bounces and you are left with a debt...This is about large amounts of money so be aware!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I have taken credit card checks from customers. They took about a week to clear. They were for large sums, maybe that makes a difference.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
The big problem is that if your bank is like mine, you are notified that one has bounced by snail mail.
That adds days to the 7-10 day.
Add in a possible weekend and...........
I did instruct my bank to stop trying twice......cuts down on time and, since they charge me a hefty fee....cut down on costs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics