Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

For Circuit City and its investors, the last couple years have been nothing but torture. Witness the epic share-price decline of nearly 90% over the past two years. Witness the glimmer of hope brought about by Blockbuster's proposed takeover offer in April, which is backed by Carl Icahn, only to see the market severely discount any chance of it happening.

Can Circuit City be saved? - Top Stocks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Let the free market prevail. If Circuit City cannot stay in business, such is life.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For Circuit City and its investors, the last couple years have been nothing but torture. Witness the epic share-price decline of nearly 90% over the past two years. Witness the glimmer of hope brought about by Blockbuster's proposed takeover offer in April, which is backed by Carl Icahn, only to see the market severely discount any chance of it happening.

Can Circuit City be saved? - Top Stocks
I'm a former Circuit City employee. After that 3000 person layoff last year and the way they did it, they deserve whatever they have coming to them.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
After the commisons were gone, the only thing that inproved was that you weren't bothered twice in every aisles "can I help you", but now nobody is to be found to help you or to pick up the phone...so it went from overdone to nobody. I called yesterday to the store and it took me over 15 min. to even get an associate on the phone...
At Best Buy they do so much better...and it is upper management who is to blame for this. Just my opinion.
I still bought a computer at Circuit City today, since they had the one we liked the most and the price was the best, otherwise I would have chosen an other store.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
When I read about that last year, I vowed to never shop there again. I know the remaining employees are the ones who suffer, but what a bunch of imbeciles on that management team! Why would anyone decide to lay off the most experienced, best workers simply because they supposedly make too much? $15 an hour is barely a living wage these days, anyway! But no, it's better to cut that guy loose and hire someone for $8 an hour? That's not the way I'd do business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a former Circuit City employee. After that 3000 person layoff last year and the way they did it, they deserve whatever they have coming to them.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
When CC announced they were gonna run-off most of their employees (I'm sorry, am I supposed to say "associates"?) to hire cheaper help MANY people decided to never go into a CC again. I haven't been in one since and many of my friends and kinsmen haven't either.

To the Devil with 'em.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I decided never to buy a thing there after that employee deal that CC did.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I DO shop at CC because I've gotten very good service there. I HATE Best Buy. No matter which store I've been in, they seem to be staffed by arrogant and lazy young men who make it obvious they'd rather be gathered around the store's Guitar Hero or Rock Band display game. In fact, I walked out of Best Buy because I couldn't find anyone to help me and leaving took me past the Rock Band display. There they all were! As I walked out, the CS person they have at the entrance asked me if I found everything I needed and I told him I had come to buy a laptop but since no one was "available" to help me, I was off to CC.

And I DID buy a Sony Vaio at CC because they were so helpful. So, yes, I do hope CC can be saved. I hate to think what the "shopping experience" would be at BB if they had no competition!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
If they ran their stores better they wouldn't have this problem, now would they?

Retail stores can be ran for fun & profit. But when management gets bloated & rich and investors are bowed down to... well, there goes the farm, Martha.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
My parents have had bad luck with best buy too in regards to customer service/warranty issues. I recently made a CD purchase at circuit city. They had an Alison Krauss CD that I couldn't find at a few other places I looked at. Price seemed good too as I recall. I think I spend 11.99 on it. I hope they pull through, and I think they can do so with some strong leadership, competitive pricing, and good customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics