Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I could swear they did it on Mythbusters and the device failed horribly.

they did and it failed horribly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Hydrogen is a great fuel - For Space Craft - not automobiles.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
they did and it failed horribly!
That's what I thought... I remembered the car only running for a second and that was because there was residual gas in the fuel lines. After that was gone it wouldn't even start.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
And when it did it backfired and singed the Great Moustache!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I had said previously that once oil hit $150 per barrel I would produce my own ethanol. Well I've decided $143 is close enough. Production will soon be under way. My mash of choice will be molasses for the first batch. I have purchased 2000 pounds of it and an all copper distiller $1400 +$130 shipping) along with all filters, tanks. I've began filling out my Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms permit for review and will be under production in about 5 weeks. I plan to produce 3-4 gallons per day at a cost of $1.18 per gallon. I will then begin growing sugar beets in my Cary, NC. backyard for the next batch that will be estimated to run 47 cents per gallon.

To all of you, I sincerely hope you do some research in this area. It really does not take much to safely and efficiently produce your own ethanol. Screww the big oil companies. To hell with them and the speculators and conspiracies. Make you own damn fuel people. I hope you will join me........I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
How do you plan to get over the energy hump of distilling? It takes a bunch of energy to turn the alcohol into a gas to separate it out from the mash.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Powers that be and people in the money will bleed first before they see that happen. We aint hurting enough to do something about it, yet!!
There is an alternative. It's called nuclear power and using electric vehicles.
But wait, it must be the "powers that be and the people in the money" preventing this?

Hmmm...try to build a nuke plant in California and who will most strongly oppose it? (Please answer this and does it match your claim above?)

The problem is that with gas at $2 a gallon there was no incentive to change especially given that you can't build ANYTHING without huge legal fights against it.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is an alternative. It's called nuclear power and using electric vehicles.
But wait, it must be the "powers that be and the people in the money" preventing this?

Hmmm...try to build a nuke plant in California and who will most strongly oppose it? (Please answer this and does it match your claim above?)

The problem is that with gas at $2 a gallon there was no incentive to change especially given that you can't build ANYTHING without huge legal fights against it.
Wow, isn't it great? Need more power build more nuclear plants... Still need more? Build more! Keep building and dumping at that nuclear waste in..... hmmm... lets just dump it in Iraq and claim they have nuclear "weapons"... That is not an alternative, your solution is the same as "drill more"... need more energy? Drill more... need more?? Keep drilling... I don't believe in holding on to antiquated systems especially when you have systems in place to make everyone energy independent of companies... solar, geothermal, etc. etc.... This of course requires major infrastructure change as well as tax laws (the government wants to profit off of everything).... Need more energy? Burn more coal... Still need more? Burn more coal... are not solutions... everything evolves and so does energy sources, its time to break your archaic grips on old energy and move towards the renewable energy.. utility companies will go bankrupt.... so did many companies that didn't adapt to evolution... I am not going to shed a tear over it...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wow, isn't it great? Need more power build more nuclear plants... Still need more? Build more! Keep building and dumping at that nuclear waste in..... hmmm... lets just dump it in Iraq and claim they have nuclear "weapons"... That is not an alternative, your solution is the same as "drill more"... need more energy? Drill more... need more?? Keep drilling... I don't believe in holding on to antiquated systems especially when you have systems in place to make everyone energy independent of companies... solar, geothermal, etc. etc.... This of course requires major infrastructure change as well as tax laws (the government wants to profit off of everything).... Need more energy? Burn more coal... Still need more? Burn more coal... are not solutions... everything evolves and so does energy sources, its time to break your archaic grips on old energy and move towards the renewable energy.. utility companies will go bankrupt.... so did many companies that didn't adapt to evolution... I am not going to shed a tear over it...
There is nothing free market about government favoring certain industries over others via massive subsidization. If green can't compete with petro, I'll continue burning petro.

Some of these global warming, peak oil leftists make me want to burn tires in my backyard out of spite.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
There are certainly other ways to address the issue in both long and short term timeframes. Conservation is my first choice as is shifiting towards geothermal heat\cooling pumps, solar etc etc. However, in the here and now...nuclear would be preferable shorter term solution as opposed to fossil fuels as we work to transition over the coming 50+ years. This is a shades of grey comprehensive issue that people like you and George Bush can't seem to grasp.

Seriously, how you managed to go off about Iraq and nuclear wheapons? Are you *ok*?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Good idea. I'll put a geothermal energy plant in my backyard next week, after the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics