Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Amazing how so many people are still wrapped up in their materialistic lives waiting in long lines for trivial stuff like an iPhone. By the end of the year, it will be food lines people will be waiting in.
There are now people queuing up in food pantries who have never done so. Supermarkets are tightening their belts and contributing less to the pantries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are now people queuing up in food pantries who have never done so. Supermarkets are tightening their belts and contributing less to the pantries.

That's absurd. Please see my post about coupons they are in no way tightening the belt. In fact just the opposite.....for people who can see it.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
couldn't agree with you more! at some point we are going to have to rein in public spending. at state level, the reduced tax receipts are already leading to spending cuts and public servants are losing their jobs!
Well, this country graduates students who cannot compete in the world. Outsourcing is much easier now than it used to be. People no longer have union protection, partly because some unions demanded so much that they worked their way out of a job and some others became ineffecitve company unions.

We have no manufacturing base.

So many people are existing on credit, and with mortgages.

Years back we had one breadwinner families. My mom went to work when it was not the thing women did, and we did well, but now both parents must work, so that is not an option any longer.

We are competing with people who live in countries with incredibly low costs of living. There is no way an American could exist on the salary these people are being paid.

If and when the US goes down it will affect markets around the world. We are the world's biggest consumer, so everyone will be wanting.

If we have such internal chaos I am sure there will be those in our present government who will adore declaring martial law and ending what remains of our democracy - and nothing makes people as angry and desperate as poverty does.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
it doesn't tell you the whole story because it's values are bolstered by easy monetary policy. here is as good an explanation as i can give. shares in company x go from $100 per share to $125 the next year to $150 the following year to $175 the year after that. so on a graph you would say that that the value has gone up 75% in four years.

in the same time gas goes from $1 per gallon to $1,90 the next year then $2,70, then $4,00. in the same time that the stock market has gone up 75%, the cost of gas has gone up 400%.

so if you have 1 share of company x in year one you could purchase 100 gallons of gas. if you still had 1 share in company x in year four you could trade it for only 43.75 gallons of gas.

sorry but that is the easiest way for me to explain it.

i know that many people are going to eat into this by stating government inflation figures of 4.18%. i will just say that that is a wonderful tool that government has to confuse the population. i will just say that if you have been to the store recently you will know that prices have gone up a bit more than 4 cents on the dollar over the last year.
Yes. Inflation, to be accurate for the population, must contain items a person must purchase regularly to survive. People can make do with the old car if they have to. They need food, medical services, etc.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
No, this is not like the tech bubble. These bubbles are the product of a bigger problem. Our economy has been transformed from one of saving and spending what you earn to a neo feudalistic system of debt based consumer spending and non production. We have whats called a F.I.R.E. economy (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) and this system is slowly coming to a end. It will take a decade for them to fix this. Every month it gets worse and anyone with a firm grasp of whats going on understands why. Has nothing to do with the media blowing things out of proportion either. This is the sort of statement someone with no clue of whats going on makes. Guy at work Friday tells me things arent that bad. His reasonsing is because the housing market is self correcting. The thing is, this co worker represents most here in America right now. The housing mess is ONE small aspect of the problem at hand.I hope who ever comes into office levels with john Q public and explains what the issue is and what it is going to take to get back on track.

People need to get the idea of recession out of their heads. I don't think we will see a recession. I think we will end up seeing stagflation will little to no economic growth, high unemployment and extreme inflation. I think for most people it will feel like they are under water with weights on their legs and arms. It is going to be really tough for a lot of people for a long time. Doesn't mean it is the end of America, but it is the end of America as we have grown to know it.
I think we were bailed out last time by expanding our markets overseas and because many households ended up with both persons working, which was not the case before.
I am hoping for innovation coming from research in the states, but I can't see that happening, either. But maybe I'm just seeing the glass half empty.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If it was not correct then I would not have said it. What are ya arguing about? Im on your side. I agree with every thing you said. I also know this bum people are voting in there is going to make it worse. What did I say that was racially driven? I said nothing bad about that racist pig. I only said his name and where he puts his money....soon to be our money when he gets his greasy mitts into our tax kitty.
Bill Clinton left our economy in better shape than any Pres in my lifetime, and probably yours. Bush drove it to the ground. McSame said he is ignorant of economics. Obama is a Rhodes scholar.

I know who I'd trust to make the best decisions.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
ya got to be careful about extrapolating poll information from this website to the general public - for example, this poll http://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...e-degrees.html - when in reality only about 28% of folks age 25 and older have bachelors degrees.
I did not know that. I though college standards had lowered so much and there are so many non-accredited bible-based colleges in the US that any fool could get in.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's absurd. Please see my post about coupons they are in no way tightening the belt. In fact just the opposite.....for people who can see it.
This was an item on some documentary on tv. Pantries seeing people who had never been there and fewer food donations made by supermarkets because they, too, were feeling the pinch.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This was an item on some documentary on tv. Pantries seeing people who had never been there and fewer food donations made by supermarkets because they, too, were feeling the pinch.
Sorry a little disturbed all these people that are feeling the crunch won't even pay a tiny bit of attetion to my coupon thread. Or is no one really feeling the crunch?

I see what your getting at.....unfortunately it's not a matter of if they could do better.....they don't know how.

People complain about gas prices......What would gas prices mean if your grocery billed decreased by 90%.

People want to dismiss my claims as delusional....some say it can't be done. Whatever. I have all the proof that one could have...skeptics continue to scare the public for their interest or own fears. Smart people improvise.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
I'm a pilot in the passenger airline biz. Thousands of us have been dumped to the street in the past 7 months, and the real hits are to start in Sept/Oct after the summer travel season. I've been notified that come October, my position is likely to be cut Have no clue what I'll do instead. Maybe home depot is hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics