Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

This may not belong in the business forum, but hear me out.

"Mass media." It seems like when someone is trying to make an economic point they always say, "You should stop paying attention to "mass media." "It's all the fault of mass media." "Mass media, mass media, mass media!"

I have a question. Sort of a simple question, but a question nonetheless.
If you're NOT getting your information from "mass media"...then what media are you using?

And

If you're using something that isn't mass media...how do you know what mass media is even saying? It doesn't make any logical sense to me.
Do you listen to it to see how wrong they are? Then, by definition - you ARE paying attention to mass media...you're paying attention to it simply to disagree with it...like my father does. (Sometimes vehemently!) But you do use it. You use it as something to argue against.

SO to sum it up...what are you reading that I am not reading so that I will also be able to say, "Mass media is So Wrong It's Stupid."

Yes; I'd really like to know.

Next item on the list. Or maybe something in the same vein.

"Do your research."

When I read/hear that (in any sort of media) I think "This person can't defend their stance."

I don't know how many times I've seen someone arguing on this forum and they'll end up with "It's all right there....just do your research."
Normally this is given when someone doesn't subscribe to their particular point of view. Kind of a "Kiss my ass!" in a sense, but a little more reserved.

I would like to just say that if you say that...and don't post a link, a reference or - Hell, something I can Google...it's pretty hard to "do some research."

Here. I'll give you an example.

Them - "Gas prices are higher because China and India are like a huge black hole vortex-like gas sucking machine!"

You - "Do your research" and you'll find that gas prices are high due to the corn people need petrol to make more corn based ethanol!"

Them - Blah, blah!

You - Blah, blah! and back to you!

I bet you cash money not very many people stop and "do research." Nah. Not gonna happen. It doesn't align with their way of thinking. See, they've been influenced by the mass media....or something.

They've turned into "Sheeple."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
I don't like the "Do your research" line very much either. Its particularly absurd when the topic under consideration is very theoretical (like economics) and there is no one set answer. If experts don't even agree its sort of hard to "do research" to find what justifies someone else's thinking.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The irony of "do your research" is that many people are incapable of doing that on a number of topics without a significant investment of time.

The problem is that a lot of people feel primed to argue a point to the death after reading one article or so on a very complex problem. They are then *experts* on the topic and will weigh in on the topic as if they'd studied it for years and worked extensively in a related field.

Mass media? <shrug> they put out basic information, it's not thier fault people run with it. Pundits are another story entirely. <puke>

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I hate all the people whining, "I didn't know."

That's become the blanket excuse for investing in the wrong stock, buying the wrong home, taking the wrong loan, charging the wrong things on the wrong credit card or doing anything that places the blame squarely where it should be-- on them.

It's a pathetic excuse, a lame cop-out, a supremely irksome attempt to garner sympathy. If you don't know, learn. Look it up. Read the fine print. Figure it out. Ask someone.

Do your research. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics