Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

I have land with coal on it should I sale it now or hold it out and lease the land and which is the better option.

Has Coal peek in price like oil has?

Is now the time to sell?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-02-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I got this email one company want to lease out the coal for 2.50 a ton or 8 percent depending which ever is greater is this a fair price but then I started thinking it probably washed coal vs unwashed.

I also read that land with coal on it goes for a better price if there already a lease on it is this true and who should I contact to judge how much coal I have or oil?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Sunny,
You might have better luck gettin a answer in the Business, Finance, and Investing forum.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I would hold title to the surface land and lease a future right to mine the coal.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 AM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I like clean transactions and would probably just sell the land. If the company mucks things up or causes environmental damage and then goes bankrupt....do you have a bond etc on them?

I'd be nervous that they'd cause a problem I'd get stuck with.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have land with coal on it should I sale it now or hold it out and lease the land and which is the better option.

Has Coal peek in price like oil has?

Is now the time to sell?
Where is it
What is it
How much is there?
How much do you want

P.S. We run a baseload 1000Mw power plant..............

Old 08-06-2008, 04:08 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I'd personally sell it. How much longer are we going to be digging up coal and burning it in coal plants? With all these developments in renewable energy wind, solar, tidal, offshore wind, hydroelectric, geothermal it is a matter of time before these technologies will be lower to operate than coal plants. We are already seeing people investing massive amounts of capital into these wind farms, solar thermal stations etc.

The only future event that I could see driving the demand for coal up is coal to liquid form and who knows how far we are from that. I've read that it is currently cost effective to do however I see no liquid coal combustion engines and all of the automakers are focusing on smaller gasoline engines, hybrid technology, plug in hybrids, electric cars and hydrogen cars.

Also the fact that the idea of a carbon tax is being talked about gets me even more worried as far as demand for coal goes.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
There are a couple of methods to convert coal to fuel gas or liquid. They were developed a hundred years ago and were displaced by natural gas pipelines in this country. I would venture a guess that coal will remain a major fuel, along with reformed Natural Gas liquids, for transportation and electrical generation. Even if we start building alternates now it will take 20 years to replace our existing base load coal plants with nuclear power because we have to rebuild the industrial capacity to make the parts.

Concerning your land, I would keep it because it is an item of value that is not subject to loss of value due to inflation. Unlike currency.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I'd personally sell it. How much longer are we going to be digging up coal and burning it in coal plants? With all these developments in renewable energy wind, solar, tidal, offshore wind, hydroelectric, geothermal it is a matter of time before these technologies will be lower to operate than coal plants. We are already seeing people investing massive amounts of capital into these wind farms, solar thermal stations etc.

The only future event that I could see driving the demand for coal up is coal to liquid form and who knows how far we are from that. I've read that it is currently cost effective to do however I see no liquid coal combustion engines and all of the automakers are focusing on smaller gasoline engines, hybrid technology, plug in hybrids, electric cars and hydrogen cars.

Also the fact that the idea of a carbon tax is being talked about gets me even more worried as far as demand for coal goes.
I wouldn't worry about that IMHO no one on this list will be alive to see thew end of coal usage in some form or the other and don't hold breath on the carbon tax thing not unless your ready to see a 25 to 50 bump in your electric bill............

Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are a couple of methods to convert coal to fuel gas or liquid. They were developed a hundred years ago and were displaced by natural gas pipelines in this country. I would venture a guess that coal will remain a major fuel, along with reformed Natural Gas liquids, for transportation and electrical generation. Even if we start building alternates now it will take 20 years to replace our existing base load coal plants with nuclear power because we have to rebuild the industrial capacity to make the parts.

Concerning your land, I would keep it because it is an item of value that is not subject to loss of value due to inflation. Unlike currency.
Yes but what he is concerned about is the demand for coal going up. That is what makes his coal worth more. Also he could always sell the land and just buy land with other resources somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics