U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM

931 posts, read 3,409,392 times

Advertisements

Haha.

I buy this Japanese candy that says ISO 9000 on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,400,342 times
I think they all use basically sound quality principles IF implemented but companies are looking for cheap labels and not REAL quality improvement.

Now it is all six sigma and lean. Have not heard ISO really bantered around for a few years.
I understand the written test part of it is less involved than the CQE which has been around for a long time.

fad fad fad fad fad - just do it right. Quality costs time and money and effort.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
LEAN = Layoff Every American Now

Old 02-02-2009, 02:19 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I think it is now ISO 9001 and the new thing I keep hearing tossed around is six sigma.

Geez, Six Sigma is at least 20 years old now. Nothing new about it at all, Got trained in it in the 80's at UTC and later again in the 90's at Citigroup. It was little more than the idea that rework on a production line was more costly than doing it right the first time. Sure they hawked that 99.999994 number or whatever, but the terms of the equation had places where you could "tweak" it. Aside from just what you chose to measure.

As my manager at the time said, "Yeah... airlines are Six Sigma... every one that goes up, comes down, perfect 100%".

My recollection of ISO9001 was little more than "Say what you do, do what you say". I.e. the quality standard is whatever you say it is... now go hit it, reliably.

Both methods make me see red when folks try to apply it to R&D activities like software development. They are, in general, applicable to production lines, where you are doing the *same* operations over and over again. Not new, clean sheet, trial and error, concept to end product development.

As for jobs in the field, I believe it involves getting certified. I've heard the term "Six Sigma Black Belt" come up since I left those circles. I take that to be some sort of cert.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM

11,563 posts, read 17,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
As for jobs in the field, I believe it involves getting certified. I've heard the term "Six Sigma Black Belt" come up since I left those circles. I take that to be some sort of cert.
It is a certification but, as I stated before, I think it's on it's way out. My company has a six sigma program that we spend alot of money on for training and implementatiion (I am employed in a multinational company with over 30,000 employees) - it's become a joke to our corporation, with no viable benefits obtained from it, we plan to abandon it.

Reading the trade journals I get the same impression - the six sigma programs have lost all credibility.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,285 times
Thumbs up Sigma Six certification and training stuff

Here are some articles from a site regarding Sigma Six Training

Hope it helps.

Sigma Six certification and training
Sigma Six certification and training - Sigma Six Lean Articles

More Six Sigma Resources
Sigma Six Lean Articles | Sigma Six (http://www.iso9001compliance.com/Sigma-Six/Sigma-6-Sigma-Certification-Articles/Sigma-6-Sigma-Six-Article-Resources.html - broken link)

QMBeauty

Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 PM

975 posts, read 1,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It was created by Motorola
Sure didn't do much for them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics