Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:54 PM

209 posts, read 584,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
yeah but what was the alternative? People losing jobs, people falling behind on bills. People getting evicted from houses and apartments (I have seen a LOT of evictions in the apartment complexes here in S. Florida). If they didn't send this money out, we would be seeing far worse situation than what we are seeing now. You have to remember 70% of GDP is consumer spending. people don't spend we go into the crapper.

People are already losing their jobs according to the last jobs report.

People are already being evicted and foreclosed on. Rents are on the rise .

We will see a far worse situation either way, we can either de-leverage now or put it off and have a far worse situation.

4. 70% - well that is a problem that has been masking another problem of our manufacturing base eroding away and with that the middle class jobs we need to have a solid economy that is "not" dependent on consumer spending. Easy credit is another culprit that has masked up our real problems. Do you not see that if our economy is based on spending and we don't save, that this could come to bare regardless???

Conclusion:

We need to quit living in this bubble and letting Big Media make our opinion for us. You don't need to be a so called "expert" to look outside and see what is happening. What the media is doing to managing a bad situation as best as they can so we do not panic like in the 70's.

Do whatever you want and believe whatever you want even Faux Business News. Personally, I am out of debt and am prepared for whatever may come, it is my personal form of insurance. Just like real insurance, I hope I was just being prudent and this passes and I just put money into areas that are as productive as other or....... I made the best move I could. Either or don't just ignore things you don't agree with when people give you facts or actual logic, that is just plain being stupid in the worse sense of the word.

Thank You for your Time,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 07:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is doing fine. We need to quit being a nation of whiners.
cowboy up is not working. 9 trillion national debt in just a few years.
time to get rid of the marlboro man. he is running up and down the mall in his high heel cowboy boots with a fist full of credit cards.

obama 08

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankREO View Post
1. People are already losing their jobs according to the last jobs report.

2. People are already being evicted and foreclosed on. Rents are on the rise .

3. We will see a far worse situation either way, we can either de-leverage now or put it off and have a far worse situation.

4. 70% - well that is a problem that has been masking another problem of our manufacturing base eroding away and with that the middle class jobs we need to have a solid economy that is "not" dependent on consumer spending. Easy credit is another culprit that has masked up our real problems. Do you not see that if our economy is based on spending and we don't save, that this could come to bare regardless???

Conclusion:

We need to quit living in this bubble and letting Big Media make our opinion for us. You don't need to be a so called "expert" to look outside and see what is happening. What the media is doing to managing a bad situation as best as they can so we do not panic like in the 70's.

Do whatever you want and believe whatever you want even Faux Business News. Personally, I am out of debt and am prepared for whatever may come, it is my personal form of insurance. Just like real insurance, I hope I was just being prudent and this passes and I just put money into areas that are as productive as other or....... I made the best move I could. Either or don't just ignore things you don't agree with when people give you facts or actual logic, that is just plain being stupid in the worse sense of the word.

Thank You for your Time,
I agree with you 1oo% in that we are in trouble and that we have to take our medicine. However, I think the easier they can make this landing on the sheeple the better.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with you 1oo% in that we are in trouble and that we have to take our medicine. However, I think the easier they can make this landing on the sheeple the better.
Truth to that, I don't want any of my fellow citizens to suffer any more than we all have too but it seems like people either don't get it or are purposely denying the facts. It seems like we all need a wake to get everyone on the same page so we can start doing what we need to transition.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Mainly the work of fiction. The nominal GDP grew by 4.6 percent last quarter. In the GDP report, the government reports the inflation rate was only 1.3 percent so real GDP is calculated as having grown by 3.3 percent.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankREO View Post
Truth to that, I don't want any of my fellow citizens to suffer any more than we all have too but it seems like people either don't get it or are purposely denying the facts. It seems like we all need a wake to get everyone on the same page so we can start doing what we need to transition.
I agree with you here. I mean, I don't want to see people suffer but, they must. If they don't, then things will never change. I was watching this piece about some ex mortgage broker out in California. She lost everything, according to her. She said "I never asked anyone for help, I always did it myself". This is the arrogant American way of thinking "I got mine, so you can go out and get yours. If you can't get yours then oh well". Now she is suffering and rightfully so. It will make her more compassionate to other peoples plight in this world.

She broke down crying when she had to go to the food pantry (I actually laughed when i saw her do that). Welcome to the real world sweetie. Now hopefully moving forward she will vote based on America's over all needs and not the needs of the few. Maybe now she will not spend more than what she can actually afford. From experience comes understanding and she is going to have a whole lot of that by the time this is all said and done.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,759 times
Default Spot On! I refuse to participate in any recession!

Did you know some of the most ambitious projects were completed during recessions and even the great depression. Ever heard of the Empire State Building? The entrepreneurs that of those times chose not to dwell on the negative predictions or realities. They chose to be positive and see themselves succeeding. Surround yourself with positive, successful people and have the same mindset. The result; success!

I hate to be the bearer of what might be bad news to some, but most people can sum up their success by the average of their five closest friends or associates. If your five closest friends are jumping from job to job or broke, then I can almost bet where you are in life. This is a harsh reality for most. I know it was for me. Now, I am not saying cut off your friends, but I am saying take a close look at your relationships. Do you need to add some seasoning? If so, find some successful people to build true relationships with. They'll rub off on you. The type of people I am talking about never focus on negative issues like the so called recession. Instead, they ten to pick out the positives, like while the economy is slow, everything is ON SALE! Most women love this outlook.

Personally, I have built a successful home business right in the middle of what is our economic slowdown. I know it is partly because my mindset is right, and partly because during tough times people reopen their options. That allows me to show them a way to succeed on their own and create the life style they have dreamed of. Best of they end up doing it well because others are looking for exactly the same thing they were.

So, when it comes to a recession. You can participate or you can refuse to. It is really your choice.

To Your Success!

Harley Steele
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-31-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySteele View Post
Did you know some of the most ambitious projects were completed during recessions and even the great depression. Ever heard of the Empire State Building? The entrepreneurs that of those times chose not to dwell on the negative predictions or realities. They chose to be positive and see themselves succeeding. Surround yourself with positive, successful people and have the same mindset. The result; success!

I hate to be the bearer of what might be bad news to some, but most people can sum up their success by the average of their five closest friends or associates. If your five closest friends are jumping from job to job or broke, then I can almost bet where you are in life. This is a harsh reality for most. I know it was for me. Now, I am not saying cut off your friends, but I am saying take a close look at your relationships. Do you need to add some seasoning? If so, find some successful people to build true relationships with. They'll rub off on you. The type of people I am talking about never focus on negative issues like the so called recession. Instead, they ten to pick out the positives, like while the economy is slow, everything is ON SALE! Most women love this outlook.

Personally, I have built a successful home business right in the middle of what is our economic slowdown. I know it is partly because my mindset is right, and partly because during tough times people reopen their options. That allows me to show them a way to succeed on their own and create the life style they have dreamed of. Best of they end up doing it well because others are looking for exactly the same thing they were.

So, when it comes to a recession. You can participate or you can refuse to. It is really your choice.
I agree, when everyone is running for the door, that is the perfect time run in. Personally, my web development business has been slow. I didn't let that get me down, I instead have been working on some internal projects that are advertising based to pick up the slack. This is America, you CAN do anything you put your mind too as long as you have a good plan.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I have given up trying to warn people of coming disasters, they just get angry and try and harm you. Whenever you get income from pyramid schemes and funny money it cannot last. A real estate bubble is the sign of a weak and troubled economy. Low-cost real estate and commodities means economic strength. Invest in what people need, food, energy, services and you cannot go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics