Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
$.10 doesn't make a big difference in reality, but psychologically it does. Also, they don't post what they charge for extra cheese. So they'd have to post the price as:

Double hamburger $1.00 w/cheese $1.10

But this is likely to drop sales dramatically. McDonalds isn't stupid. You can pretty much bet the farm that anything they do is the way that generates the maximum profit.
They actually do. When I've asked for extra cheese they've charged me about $.10 more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
They actually do. When I've asked for extra cheese they've charged me about $.10 more.
I've never seen the price for extra cheese posted on their signs, that is what is important not whether there is a button for it on the cash register.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I doubt if a slice of cheese costs McDonald's 10 cents. They'd never make a profit if it did. More likely the dime goes for labor, as the burger flippers and microwavers have to stop the usual assembly line to either add or remove a slice of cheese.

That is, if they remember to do it!
I used to work for Hardee's back in 1988 or 1989...
The price for a slice of cheese then was 1/10th cent, or 100 slices for 10 cents. At least that's what my manager told me.

I think it was 10 or 15 cents to get extra cheese. Amazing profit.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I've never seen the price for extra cheese posted on their signs, that is what is important not whether there is a button for it on the cash register.
Its not on their signs-- its on the receipt!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
Its not on their signs-- its on the receipt!
Yeah, but that is the point. Most people have no idea how much it cost to add cheese, it would just confuse people.

I remember when McDonalds started to offer you options with your combos. You could pick 2 or 3 things with your combo. You could get a drink and fries like usual or you could select different things. I was amazed how much it confused people, they quickly changed back to their hold way of doing things. Anyhow, most McDonalds consumers get confused easily!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that is the point. Most people have no idea how much it cost to add cheese, it would just confuse people.

I remember when McDonalds started to offer you options with your combos. You could pick 2 or 3 things with your combo. You could get a drink and fries like usual or you could select different things. I was amazed how much it confused people, they quickly changed back to their hold way of doing things. Anyhow, most McDonalds consumers get confused easily!
Wendy's still does it.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:24 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It's called a "Lost Leader". Sell something at a loss to get people in the store.
Not to split hairs, but it's called a "loss leader".

Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM

94 posts, read 763,331 times
The sell salads for a $1.00 too - though that is not as heavily advertised. :P

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
This may sound kind of stupid to some of you. I know it does to me, but I'm curious. This has always bothered me and its time I get some more peoples opinions on this.

You go to McDonalds and you order a double-hamburger with cheese for only $1. Any time you ask for more cheese they will always charge you $.10 or $.15 extra.

So it finally hit me to order a double-cheeseburger with NO cheese. Much to my expectation, they still charged me that $1 for the double-hamburger with NO cheese.

What does not make sense to me is why McDonalds would sell a double-hamburger with cheese for $1, if they could just offer double-hamburgers with no cheese and still sell them for $1. Of course there is still that option to add cheese for the extra $.10-15 charge. $.10-15 is not a lot of money extra. There are a lot of people who don't like cheese on hamburgers (me being one).

McDonalds would be saving LOTS of money by making people pay for the cheese. I don't know the exact statistics but multiply $.10 by the millions-- it racks up.
If they have to ask more question while you order, that we end up in selling less and more annoyed people who are waiting in line. McDonalds is one of the companies who has done enough research to know what they are doing. If you look at the grocery stores and how much cheese they are selling and coming from a cheese country myself..it has proven that more people like cheese than the people who won't eat it....and too bad, in a fast society you lose if you not on the majority's side...and I'm not saying that you aren't right or that you should eat cheese, but it is a business decision.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,284 times
CouponJack: Yup, bingo !

Humanoid: You are right, at the very highest corporate levels, McDonald's is not stupid. But at all the other levels....well....ahem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics