U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Devaluing of United States dollar, currency soon to be worth nothing, economic fallout, rich get richer, gold and silver investments

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,327,949 times
Reputation: 1383

Advertisements

Last Gasp of a Doomed Currency

Either the US defaults and trashes its soverign credit rating or pays back on its obligations with massively depreciated dollars. Pick your poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times
Reputation: 27520
I have a wheelbarrow to cart around my money. I'm ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Backwoods of Maine
6,940 posts, read 7,666,094 times
Reputation: 17842
Deflation is what they'd LIKE the sheeple to think, so they'll find US Treasuries a "Safe Haven" and hence save the $, rotten to the core (toilet-paper core!). So many invested in gold have been shaken out with this last washout...exactly what TPTB wanted. Now the wealthy can swoop down and pick up gold at fire-sale prices, leaving Joe Six-pack to feel pleased that someone relieved him of a losing position in gold.

It never fails...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,327,949 times
Reputation: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Deflation is what they'd LIKE the sheeple to think, so they'll find US Treasuries a "Safe Haven" and hence save the $, rotten to the core (toilet-paper core!). So many invested in gold have been shaken out with this last washout...exactly what TPTB wanted. Now the wealthy can swoop down and pick up gold at fire-sale prices, leaving Joe Six-pack to feel pleased that someone relieved him of a losing position in gold.

It never fails...
Exactly. I've been having trouble getting silver bars lately. Seems like physical has such a high markup and APMEX seems to constantly sell out. The demand for 100oz bars is enormous.

I agree with shaking out J6P. If I were part of the sheeple crowd, I would've dumped my PMs and swore them off forever. Nice way to redistribute them back to the central banks at fire sale prices who will probably need to buy them up as their stockpiles might be a wee bit low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
 
5,092 posts, read 9,605,812 times
Reputation: 3941
Pays back on its obligations with [at least somewhat] depreciated dollars.

===================

But that answer has been pretty obvious coming for a long time.

But with all the hype about Gold and Therehastobehyperinflation, Schiff is only catching half the story.

Some sectors under the US dollar are experiencing MASSIVE deflation. Real Estate for example. All of Real Estate imagined Trillions of value is g dropping in most areas 10% a year.

So far only fuel and food have been running up. Looks like with even just a little self-discipline US fuel use has went down, and now fuel costs are holding steady.

On average with other things trending downward, there is no massive inflation in that.

So what is one to do with the Gold Gold Gold? Let's say are we millionaires and want to be true Schiff fans. Lets take a million and buy a thousand or so ounces. Since it has no other utility than sitting on a shelf, let's line and cover the toilet with it. At least then we can get some daily use of it.

Money, resources and talents are to be used for good. Not horded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Reputation: 242
This is what I was trying to tell people on the doomer thread but no one would listen. Now is the ideal time to take on more debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
 
Location: America
6,979 posts, read 15,136,861 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Exactly. I've been having trouble getting silver bars lately. Seems like physical has such a high markup and APMEX seems to constantly sell out. The demand for 100oz bars is enormous.

I agree with shaking out J6P. If I were part of the sheeple crowd, I would've dumped my PMs and swore them off forever. Nice way to redistribute them back to the central banks at fire sale prices who will probably need to buy them up as their stockpiles might be a wee bit low.
I have two one troy ounce silver bars. Thinking about buying more. Wont pay off for many years though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Reputation: 242
Everyone just take my advice: don't swallow precious metals. They're very painful to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I have two one troy ounce silver bars. Thinking about buying more. Wont pay off for many years though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 3,326,376 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Deflation is what they'd LIKE the sheeple to think, so they'll find US Treasuries a "Safe Haven" and hence save the $
Yes because deflation is so pleasant!

This is great, what else do you except Schiff to say? His living is based on this sort of thing. This is rather typical though, "hey the markets aren't doing what I said they would, but they will soon!".

Anyhow, much of what was said was misleading and it certainly doesn't put a nail in the deflation vs inflation debate. Its just repeating what he has always stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 05:47 AM
 
Location: America
6,979 posts, read 15,136,861 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yes because deflation is so pleasant!

This is great, what else do you except Schiff to say? His living is based on this sort of thing. This is rather typical though, "hey the markets aren't doing what I said they would, but they will soon!".

Anyhow, much of what was said was misleading and it certainly doesn't put a nail in the deflation vs inflation debate. Its just repeating what he has always stated.
whoa, wait. your saying Schiff has been off base on whats happening? Are you really serious? the only thing he did wrong that I saw was, he made a exact date claim on what the market would do. when that date came it didnt happen. As I have said in previous threads, making exact date claims is folly given no one is a psychic and no one can really determine 100% what all participants will do given real world setting. Calling long term trends he has been spot on, short term, no. But that is the case of most economist, but again they are not psychics. As for how he gets paid and calling into question his credentials, thats sort of stupid/silly. The government also has reasons to lie about their numbers given self interest. Same is true of any sources, so the point is to understanding the underlying factors to be able to determine if a person is saying is plausable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top