Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times

Advertisements

Apparently, it *can* be illegal to have that much cash....

USA v. $124,700 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
....the controversial doctrine of asset forfeiture does allow a piece of property (in this case, $124,700 in cash) to be directly sued by and forfeited to the government, without either just compensation or the owner being convicted of a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Give me his name and address.

LOL!

Very cute.

When you find out, I'll drive you.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
.... Invest in a gun or two as well. May need it someday.
Yeah, I already tried suggesting this in a gentle way (along with other practical ways to prepare), but there was a rather negative reaction.

Oh well, let Darwin decide who was right!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually with all the money laundering laws, it is.

Back to your relative. Tell him not to be an idiot. Tell him to go online to bauerfinancial.com and check out the bank ratings for relative safety. At the very least, he needs to rent a safe deposit box and put the money in that.

But keeping that much in his house?

On second thought, DM his address to me, and I'll drive over there and talk sense to him.
I'm curious to know more on this law...........

I cannot believe this is illegal and if so I want to know ASAP so I can put it in my list of things to argue over.

Where is our money supposed to be?

The gov't is going to say what, let me guess, it must be in a bank earning interest, so that they can get their share when we do our taxes and pay income tax on the interest earned, right?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yeah, I already tried suggesting this in a gentle way (along with other practical ways to prepare), but there was a rather negative reaction.

Oh well, let Darwin decide who was right!
I agree with you in theory, but my heart hopes you and the other guy are wrong as hell.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Apparently, it *can* be illegal to have that much cash....

USA v. $124,700 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes, but that case was because the cops thought it was drug money, wrapped in foil in a cooler of a car. Of course police can sieze $ they suspect is the proceeds of a crime.

and the gov't didn't win, it was determined that there wasn't enough evidence that the money was related to a crime.

I want to know where it is illegal for an innocent individual to just up and choose to stash his money in his mattress.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This thread just popped up, and I wonder if the friends money is still under the mattress, or if he changed his mind. 2008 was indeed a scary economic time.

I’ll just add that everyone is insured up to $250k and no one has ever lose a dime in a failed bank.

I worked for a bank that was circling the drain and discovered that a lot of folks with money to invest, go from failing bank to failing bank. A bank that is in trouble typically offers higher interest in hopes of attracting more customers to stave off failure.

I also had a customer who took all her money and kept it in a safe deposit box. She didn’t want to pay taxes on it. She, however, was bat**** crazy, and was also a hoarder.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I would think that if it isn't safe to leave your money in the bank, that it wouldn't be safe to leave it in paper dollars. Money in an insured bank is safe as long as the government doesn't fail. If the government fails, the paper dollars are no longer any good.

But, yeah, keep your money at home and it should be safe enough as long as you don't have any burglars, fires, flooding, or spendthrift spouses.... and you remember where you hid it.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM

19,772 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually with all the money laundering laws, it is.
Assuming it's not ill gotten money (drugs, gambling, extortion, scam proceeds, factoring etc.) there is no limit on the amount of cash one may legally store at home no matter how stupid.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisun View Post
I would never leave that much money in the house.

If he wants to be safe, I agree that I would split it between a different financial institutions. The FDIC will insure up to $100K. Whether your friend trusts the bank or not, I have no doubts (given the recent take over of Fannie and Freddie), that the government will make sure the FDIC will make good on insuring deposits from banks that go under.
FDIC insurance is now $250k and it can be a lot higher for certain circumstances (i.e. it is $500k if it is a joint account, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics