U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
 
298 posts, read 561,910 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

Other than just being really damn lucky, what are some traits of a successful financial analyst? Also, which is more important on the job, math skills or people skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 7,751,584 times
Reputation: 884
analysts need more math skills

once they get promoted to I-Bank then they need people skills as I am told

I guess you must be able to withstand extreme boredom, as I am told
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
 
298 posts, read 561,910 times
Reputation: 156
How's it boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Assisi, Italy
1,851 posts, read 2,937,534 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Other than just being really damn lucky, what are some traits of a successful financial analyst? Also, which is more important on the job, math skills or people skills?
How do you define "good" and " successful"? This is not necessarily the same as accurate and truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
 
298 posts, read 561,910 times
Reputation: 156
Someone who can make good decisions for the company, whether tha include accurate and truthful or doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM
 
1,671 posts, read 4,132,966 times
Reputation: 1134
You definitely need the math skills and school affiliation helps. People tend to hire those who they share a common interest with. It's darn right discriminatory, but its done everyday. I see people who went to the same boarding school or business schools get hired, not based on experience, but affiliation. It sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
209 posts, read 397,063 times
Reputation: 83
I would say TELL THE TRUTH even if it is something you don't want to hear so you can make an actually informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Assisi, Italy
1,851 posts, read 2,937,534 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Someone who can make good decisions for the company, whether tha include accurate and truthful or doesn't.
Are you confusing "Analyst" with "Executive"? An analyst does not "make decisions for the company".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,971 posts, read 12,252,297 times
Reputation: 4770
A good financial analyst has a good grasp of the concepts of finance (revenue, expense, income, debits, credits, etc.), has the ability to build flexibility into models that can be used for decision making, accurate, able to respond to quick changes in assumptions, excellent ability to communicate both verbal and written across levels of management, documents steps taken to arrive at conclusions as well as assumptions. Plusses are excellent software skills, particularly in Excel as that involves spreadsheets, VBA, SQL and/or Access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 09:40 PM
 
298 posts, read 561,910 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
A good financial analyst has a good grasp of the concepts of finance (revenue, expense, income, debits, credits, etc.), has the ability to build flexibility into models that can be used for decision making, accurate, able to respond to quick changes in assumptions, excellent ability to communicate both verbal and written across levels of management, documents steps taken to arrive at conclusions as well as assumptions. Plusses are excellent software skills, particularly in Excel as that involves spreadsheets, VBA, SQL and/or Access.
Wow, that was very informative! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top