Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times

Advertisements

Its time for the media to keep their mouths shut about the economy and stop scaremongering and its time for the people to realisticially and slowly come back into the real world of actual money and not spend the numbers on a computer screen that don't actually exist until it comes out of the ATM. I am severely stressed by this and I won't forget all you mortage defaulters and credit eaters who can't repay their cards. You want a revolution, look at what LAPD77 says about Feb 2009 - US, Mexico and Canada merge into one country after collapses. Even one money analyst said that the USA is "selling itelf up the river". Your spending now like your on fire, whats left for the future - kids and grandkids - not much, maybe anarchy. Maybe it is the end of the US, as now the countrys "fate goal" might be acheived - Obama, the first African American President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Isn't fear-mongering the job of the media? When do you ever hear good news on TV or in the paper?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Its time for the media to keep their mouths shut about the economy and stop scaremongering and its time for the people to realisticially and slowly come back into the real world of actual money and not spend the numbers on a computer screen that don't actually exist until it comes out of the ATM. I am severely stressed by this and I won't forget all you mortage defaulters and credit eaters who can't repay their cards. You want a revolution, look at what LAPD77 says about Feb 2009 - US, Mexico and Canada merge into one country after collapses. Even one money analyst said that the USA is "selling itelf up the river". Your spending now like your on fire, whats left for the future - kids and grandkids - not much, maybe anarchy. Maybe it is the end of the US, as now the countrys "fate goal" might be acheived - Obama, the first African American President.
great point. Let people remain ignornat about whats going on around them. Let people go into the next election dumb as eff. Great points.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Maybe it is the end of the US, as now the countrys "fate goal" might be acheived - Obama, the first African American President.
This speaks loud and clear as to the motivations of the first poster.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Quote:
The Media is actually telling people not to run on the banks and your money is safe...The economy is collapsing because it is weak. We are heading to a depression era and it could have been avoided if we learned to stop consumerism and moved to some other type of economy that could sustain growth with out using huge amounts of Debt.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
The Media is actually telling people not to run on the banks and your money is safe...The economy is collapsing because it is weak. We are heading to a depression era and it could have been avoided if we learned to stop consumerism and moved to some other type of economy that could sustain growth with out using huge amounts of Debt.
A good deal of truth in that !
However the fact that US held derivates.of which sub-primes are a tiny part, exceed the amount of money in the ENTIRE world, much less the US-
is what makes collapse certain.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
This speaks loud and clear as to the motivations of the first poster.

Not necessarily, multipule motivations can be ascribed.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Step away from the coffee cup. We don't want anyone to get hurt here. A lot of people are stressed, particularly those who didn't see this coming and take evasive action.

The media has little effect on the giant institutional traders. They simply don't have the time to fool with the comic books that pass for tv and newspapers today.

While grandstanding a bit, this article in the Post gives a bit of insider view that most lay people can understand:
ALMOST ARMAGEDDON - New York Post

However bad the media, the average Joe does have to be informed of what is occurring so that he can move to protect himself in some small way. There have been a number of near misses in this financial meltdown since November. Each time the response has become more Draconian, and each escape from disaster narrower.

I found the DOW 8300 level in the Post to be interesting, since I have two levels that I think could be critical. The 10,000 mark is the first support level that I see. A fall to there and stabilization would be a best case scenario, but it looks increasingly unlikely. A fall to the 7,000 level would be the midrange scenario, and indicate an evaporation of a lot of the derivative related inflation and a much more solid restart point. Anything below that would be cause for a total clamp on trading and complete revision of the market. I'm not saying it would be right, or the decisions to make changes be the correct ones or even palatable, just that a drop that low would invoke choking actions by Congress.

There are subtleties, such as AIG being replaced on the DOW with a much more stable firm, propping up the DOW a little bit, and inflation and the effects of devalued currency increasingly affecting the figures, but the phantom wealth has to evaporate back into the ether.

There is no way to roll back the clock so that all ill-begotten gains can be returned to rightful owners. At this point, the only revenge of the little man is to push for punitive taxation and a special tax class for failing CEOs that takes 110% of those golden parachutes.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
America, I loved you. Now all I know you for is the start of all this. Remember your mortgage defaultations?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
America, I loved you. Now all I know you for is the start of all this. Remember your mortgage defaultations?
You don't live America anymore becomes times are hard? May your days be filled with pot holes and speeding tickets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics