Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I'm about a 6, more worried than I am not worried.

Thing is...why not just let the damn banks fail? It's their own greed that got them here in the first place. All this "NO more investment banks!" crap is stupid. Let the big boys go under, as someone smaller will pop up to fill the void they leave behind. Why can't the government just allow nature to take it's course?

Still, I don't think things are that bad. So it might be harder for people to get a loan in the future...HOW IS THAT A BAD THING? It might stop people from getting into debt they can't get themselves out of, which will stop banks from failing in the future. As long as people want loans, someone will be able to give it to them, it just might be priced high enough that people THINK TWICE about people putting money up for the McMansion, which is a good thing. Folks just need to live within their means and have good credit, and they'll be alright.

BTW, I have three credit cards and maybe $50 in debt that I'll pay off next month, as I did the month before...I'm the guy the credit card companies work their models AROUND and keep in mind that I'll only give them minimal money: the kind of guy who lives WITHIN HIS MEANS. That's why my credit score is 755, and it is not because I am a millionaire...I'm just a kid with no degree working at a restuarant. But I am able to find pleasure in simple, cheap things, like hiking in the woods or reading a novel instead of BUYING AND BUYING SOME MORE. Instead of trying to get a bigger apartment, which I can't comfortably afford, I just buy some cheap shelves and a stepping stool to reach them, and make more room with what I have. If people would just stop trying to HAVE WHAT THEY WANT and learn to WANT WHAT THEY HAVE America would be a much better place and we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place! And if takes a "credit crunch" for that to happen, then so be it!
I agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
I always wanted to be rich, thanks to my bad past. But now that dream is ****ed! Thanks to all of you worldwide who got ****ing greedy, and no, I didn't want £50million, a simple £500,000 would suffice me.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
0 - yes I said zero.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I'm no longer scared. I've gone through all the stages, from denial to anger to sadness and now I'm at acceptance. Once I resigned myself to what could happen would happen, I changed what I could to prepare for it, ride it out and prevail. One thing I have noticed: the Captains of Industry will not go down with this ship. They believed that the impossible was possible long ago.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
My fear is 0/10.

I guess I am too incensed to be scared. Fear and anger are unhealthy and neither accomplishes much of anything. However, being angry at the crooks in Wall Street makes me feel better than being scared.

I have been broke before, and I've always bounced back. I raised my children so I've already done what I was supposed to do.

I can always get a second job. Even rich people get sick and old...so there will always be work for me. I'm at my best under pressure anyway. I had planned to work until I drop dead or reach 75 whichever comes first.

Let the market clean itself out. With some luck and real work (not scams and shams) it shall emerge stronger than before.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I'm no longer scared. I've gone through all the stages, from denial to anger to sadness and now I'm at acceptance. Once I resigned myself to what could happen would happen, I changed what I could to prepare for it, ride it out and prevail. One thing I have noticed: the Captains of Industry will not go down with this ship. They believed that the impossible was possible long ago.
Good for you--very healthy attitude.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:56 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
I am not feeling any direct effect on my income, but I am more paranoid than anything else. So, I am hanging onto every penny I can in fear of the future. I'd say I'm at 3 on the fear scale and 8 on the paranoia scale.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
I'm paranoid and extremely pissed off, furious more like. You see, my "extra income" ha completely stopped. This "extra income" can't stop, it was a thing where it had to continue to be coming in, so now people have a problem as I'm pissed. Thanks a bundle America. Very Patriotic of you to hurt your allies, oh, and happy ****ing christmas to ya.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I have been watching this thread and I can finally answer. I am actually pretty scared. We live in Richmond, Virginia and it looks like Wachovia will be taken over by the FDIC or be bought by Citi Group...neither are very good options for our area.

I am probably a 7 right now.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
I'm concerned but not extremely. We're a conservative family and have always lived below our means so we'll make it. I'm concerned about my mom's job because she's worked at the same factory in Western MA for over 30 years and if that place closes , well... It would be tough on our finances. I'm concerned about how it's going to domino into other areas of my familys life. It will affect everyone I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics