Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- While Congress and Bush administration officials have been working to complete a bailout plan and stem the financial contagion on Wall Street, a different kind of economic crisis emerged across the South this week: A severe, hurricane-related gasoline shortage has curtailed trucking from Atlanta to Asheville, N.C., and created a wave of panic buying among motorists.

The return of gas lines has largely flown under the radar of politicians who are usually keenly attuned, because their constituents are, to what's going on at the pump. But more of the Capitol gang should be paying attention to this.

More gas shortages on the way - Sep. 26, 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
John

great post. II have been reading articles and watching interviews from Simmons for the last year. Check out the documentary "End of Suburbia"

Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,745 times
That's the best article I have seen so far, as far as explaining this mess goes. I am in the Greenville SC area (between Asheville & Atlanta) and while we have not totally run out like Asheville this week, there are lots of empty pumps at stations.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Its been hell this past week in the Charlotte area....I barely remember the 2nd gas shortage in '79, but this has been bad.....no gas

Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I am from Greenville, SC as Kimmie is. Last night I went to 4 stations in my town at 930pm and all were out. This morning 3 of them had gas and one was limiting purchases to $50 and another to $40 limits. I think that limit is too high given the circumstances this area has been facing. It's been 2 weeks since Ike hit but we are still experiencing limited supplies. Come on people, I was on E last night and hubby had to get someone else to drive him to work today. If you don't need it stay away from the pumps. Our price is high because of the low supplies but as soon as it starts flowing regularly again the price will come down. I paid $3.76 and $3.85 to get some gas today in 2 cars, but some stations are charging closer to $4/gal now.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
This is funny because both the politicians and the public tend not to understand the real problem - price fixing. When you fix prices the end result is always shortages.

If anybody tries to raise the gas prices to their true price its "price gouging" and the politicians start ranking about the oil companies and talking about investigations.

Raise the price to $6/gallon and I bet the shortage ends.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is funny because both the politicians and the public tend not to understand the real problem - price fixing. When you fix prices the end result is always shortages.

If anybody tries to raise the gas prices to their true price its "price gouging" and the politicians start ranking about the oil companies and talking about investigations.

Raise the price to $6/gallon and I bet the shortage ends.
110% correct.

Not everyone will drive across town for a pedicure, haircut, or happy hour with gas prices that high. More supply for those who need it.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
*sigh* More doomers and gloomers.

This happened a back during Katrina in Atlanta, and we came out of it. THE SAME THING! People panicked because they thought we weren't going to have enough gas. We had a good 2 weeks worth then. So, people went to the stations and started hoarding like idiots. THIS caused gas shortages.

Same thing now: we had 2 weeks worth, but people hoarded when the media said that they'd shut down a pump in Texas. Now, the pump is about to come back on, and supplies will return to normal.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Check out the documentary "End of Suburbia"
We've been saying this for a long time now, but it still hasn't died. I remember when it was just hitting $1/gal here, they said "end of suburbia?" $2 same thing. $3, $4, same thing. They said it in the 70's, too. In the 70's people didn't move closer to their work [in the cities], the cities/job centers moved closer to them! That's why Atlanta, a heavily sprawled out, urban-everywhere type of area, is like that. That's why our suburbs have skylines!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Check out the documentary "End of Suburbia"
I don't do documentaries, but probably around 2012-2014 you'll see a mass exodus to the city.

As Cost Inflation and the recession drags on through that period people will move into the cities to take advantage of the cheaper housing (initially but then prices will rise) and to have greater access to entertainment and retail venues as well as public services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics