Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times

Advertisements

I know they say our taxes will go up but is it our income taxes? They say this is going to cost every American $2300 including our children. So how excatly are they going to pay for it? I am a little confused so if anyone can explain this to me I would appreciate it. Over how many years is this going to be paid off? I hope these aren't stupid questions but I really don't know the answer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 02:58 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
So how excatly are they going to pay for it?
They're going to run the printing presses in Wash D.C. 24/7 to print all this money. People in China, Dubai and other places are becoming hesitant to loan us any more money.

Can you say "inflation"??

Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
I know they say our taxes will go up but is it our income taxes? They say this is going to cost every American $2300 including our children. So how excatly are they going to pay for it? I am a little confused so if anyone can explain this to me I would appreciate it. Over how many years is this going to be paid off? I hope these aren't stupid questions but I really don't know the answer. Thanks!
$2300?? These bailouts are going to cost the American taxpayers much more.

Bailout type
Cost to taxpayers (Source: Reuters (broken link))

Proposed Treasury Department legislation
$700 billion+

Bear Stearns financing
$29 billion

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac nationalization
$200 billion

AIG loan and nationalization
$85 billion

Federal Housing Administration housing rescue bill
$300 billion

Mortgage community grants
$4 billion

JPMorgan Chase repayments
$87 billion

Loans to banks via Fed's Term Auction Facility
$200 billion+

Loans from Depression-era Exchange Stabilization Fund
$50 billion

Purchases of mortgage securities by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
$144 billion

TOTAL $1.8 trillion+
COST PER HOUSEHOLD $17,064+

Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Add in the 2 billion dollars per week we spend on the Iraq war. We'll never get out of this mess. Our government is essentially bankrupt.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:56 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
but Americans will no doubt continue to be stubbornly optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Add in the 2 billion dollars per week we spend on the Iraq war. We'll never get out of this mess. Our government is essentially bankrupt.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Okay, everyone, go get your Monopoly sets and take out the money. Now, go buy what you need with this since this is essentially what the fed is doing...

Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
print money

Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
No, The feds are buying the portfolio( thousands and thousands of them!) of "iffy" mortgages that have yet to go into foreclosure.They (democrats of Congress) are also adding in trying to give the buyers who lost money on there mortgage investments their money back! ) The "hope" is that because they buy these loans from the banks and other holders of these mortgages so the banks can keep lending money which will hopefully make the economy strong enough to enable those with mortgages they currently are barely able to afford (those mortgages they are buying with our money) will be able to afford so they will continue to make payments and the portfolio will eventually be profitable.
The alternative to the Gov NOT buying these mortgages? No more banks loaning money. Which means no capital for businesses to run on until there accounts receivables come in. No more small business start up loans. No more buying of houses except with cash which means business going out of business and people not being able to move to where work is and if they do foreclose and are able to move, no place for them to rent because no more loans to landlords to build more rental houses. No loans to developers to build apartment buildings. And so on and so on.
Is this bailout a good plan? I have no idea but I sure don't want to see the alternative either!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Borrow from other countries and pay 10% interest and then print the money... leads to inflation.... leads to billions more each year JUST FOR INTEREST ALONE... and then everything costs more and then taxes are raised and after everything is paid off, the taxes STAY THERE so that government can use it to do some stupid thing latter... like putting it in their pockets by colluding with businesses AGAIN to offer more social services... if you forget it was the Clinton government "social service" program to give more mortgage loans to the poor when they couldn't afford it... when Democrats come to office you can expect the SAME thing again.. we are so deep in it...

Old 09-28-2008, 05:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
congress needs to explain why the taxpayers had to get involved. why couldn't the government shift money from their other idiotic programs if they think it is such a great idea? maybe they don't want the risk or maybe they just want more money! as well, mortgage length could be extended and the banks could have to work it out. after all it was their lack of due diligence that got our country into this mess in the first place. of course, then they would not be able to sneak in their earmarks for ACORN and la raza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics