U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,965,959 times

Advertisements

If the actual outstanding mortgages in the country amount to less than $200 billion, why can't we just pay them off?

What else is this bailout paying for?

Why did they not come to us, the public, hat in hand and explain what they did wrong and how there is something tagged on to this bill which will prevent it from ever happening again?

How about the guys who made these bad decisions saying 'we are sorry'?

These people are so damned brazen. I would not give them a dime.

I am suspicious.
Originally the GM $26 billion handout was supposed to be included in the bill, but somehow they got that money without taxpayer approval, and outside of the bailout money?

They just cannot come clean. But this entire thing smells fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,444,718 times
Ooooooooo.... Shouldn't have said that. Now I'm going to sit around and dream up all the stuff that I could do if the house were paid off. I'm making lots of early payments but it would be cool to jump ahead to where it's done.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM

705 posts, read 1,145,306 times
The actual amount of mortgages is nearly $14 trillion. Fannie and Freddie alone had over $6 trillion. The $700 billion would cover 5% of all mortgages. The delinquency rate is currently approx 8%. Many of the 8% could be worked out by reducing adjustable rates and converting to fixed. Some are completely lost, particularly California, Florida, and areas like Detroit where real estate values have dropped so dramatically. Florida and Cali were also the area with the most speculators and highest percentage of people in foreclosure on multiple properties. We all know Michigans problem

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,528,470 times
Besides, they're too busy funding wooden arrows and the Exxon Valdez people from the '80s...

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,735,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Besides, they're too busy funding wooden arrows and the Exxon Valdez people from the '80s...
I heard about the wooden arrows last night. What a freaking joke our elected officials are.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM

699 posts, read 831,938 times
Angry Mortgages Held

Agree with much you say. Mortgages outstanding US is in excess of 11 trilllion. I also wish they would come clean. Its like you know it'll hurt but you don't know how much. What is amazing it seems though the clouds are gathering now for its final storm we did this damage in a relatively short period of time. Perhaps the Banking system is the gun that has to be regulated in the US.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,965,959 times
From an article in the Wall Street Journal:

The
chief economist at Moody’s Economy endorsed proposals that a public agency be set up to purchase defaulted mortgages. The cost, he said, would be up to $250 billion, but probably lower.

Real Time Economics : Zandi: A Mortgage Bailout Would Cost up to $250 Billion

I was misleading and did not mean ALL mortgages in the country.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,600,133 times
Converting to fixed rate will help few people in CA and other high-risk markets. A lot of them are on Option ARMS, making the no interest payment each month and negatively amortizing the difference. Percentage-wise, they are paying less each month on a growing balance, and you can't refi them, because they can't qualify for a fixed rate. They took the Option ARMS with low teaser rates of about 1 or 2% for a couple of years and are barely hanging on paying just the monthly principal. They can't afford their houses, they shouldn't have bought their houses, so why is anybody pretending we can or should keep them in their houses? A small percentage of borrowers can actually be helped, but the majority of people with Option ARMS simply need to be divested of properties they never should have had and their loans written off as bad debt. No one should buy, guarantee or insure these loser loans-- certainly not the taxpayers.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,502,257 times
I wouldnt pay off my mortgage even if I had the money to write a check for it tomorrow.

Their is a reason that most millionaires still have mortgages even if they could afford to pay them off.

Mortgages are an asset if used properly.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,696,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
The actual amount of mortgages is nearly $14 trillion. Fannie and Freddie alone had over $6 trillion. The $700 billion would cover 5% of all mortgages. The delinquency rate is currently approx 8%. Many of the 8% could be worked out by reducing adjustable rates and converting to fixed. Some are completely lost, particularly California, Florida, and areas like Detroit where real estate values have dropped so dramatically. Florida and Cali were also the area with the most speculators and highest percentage of people in foreclosure on multiple properties. We all know Michigans problem
exactly
i love people like the op pulling numbers directly out of their ass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or