Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:11 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In theory you can, you save $50/month in a mutual fund, after 40 years you'll have enough to buy a house that's worth about $100k today and pay cash ( no mortgage). Or you can do what this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBd6G6nXB0

Or you could, you know, just borrow $100k which would cost around $500/mo.
Here you can get a 2bd/1ba home for less than $100k. Is it going to be in a posh neighborhood with great schools? No. It's going to be in Rio Linda, which is white trash which is why it's so cheap. That and people with money don't want 900 square foot 2bd houses that are very basic.

Now, if all you need is a bed room, it's still a little excessive. A room offers much more flexibility in a nicer neighborhood in a nicer house for $500/mo, plus the split utilities, no responsibility for house repairs. On the other hand, not having roommates is basically a very, very nice luxury. Or maybe you have a kid and would need two rooms and having kids really limits your ability to find rooms to rent.

Or you could save up from 25 to 65 at 50/mo paying $500/mo to rent a room.

Or you could buy a piece of land in an abandoned subdivision that will cost you $500 every time you go home. Look, the guy is just weird, and that's okay. It just doesn't mean it make sense to anyone else to do something like that. That's ridiculous. It's cost prohibitive to me and I make more than $20,000/yr. I just can't afford $500 every time I want to spend a few days at my home that I own as opposed to the apartment actually live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Here you can get a 2bd/1ba home for less than $100k. Is it going to be in a posh neighborhood with great schools? No. It's going to be in Rio Linda, which is white trash which is why it's so cheap. That and people with money don't want 900 square foot 2bd houses that are very basic.

Now, if all you need is a bed room, it's still a little excessive. A room offers much more flexibility in a nicer neighborhood in a nicer house for $500/mo, plus the split utilities, no responsibility for house repairs. On the other hand, not having roommates is basically a very, very nice luxury. Or maybe you have a kid and would need two rooms and having kids really limits your ability to find rooms to rent.

Or you could save up from 25 to 65 at 50/mo paying $500/mo to rent a room.

Or you could buy a piece of land in an abandoned subdivision that will cost you $500 every time you go home. Look, the guy is just weird, and that's okay. It just doesn't mean it make sense to anyone else to do something like that. That's ridiculous. It's cost prohibitive to me and I make more than $20,000/yr. I just can't afford $500 every time I want to spend a few days at my home that I own as opposed to the apartment actually live in.

BZZT! Oh the humanity, oh the fail!

A lot of housekeeppers are not going to be able to borrow $100K.

A lot of housekeepers are not going to be able to save $50/mo for 40 years; that $500 rent is going to necessarily skyrocket over those 40 years.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, but for someone making minimum wage, $500/month is not affordable once you account for property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and repairs.

They can only afford a house by saving for it, not borrowing. The middle class can afford to spend money on interest, the working class has to pay cash.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
BZZT! Oh the humanity, oh the fail!

A lot of housekeeppers are not going to be able to borrow $100K.

A lot of housekeepers are not going to be able to save $50/mo for 40 years; that $500 rent is going to necessarily skyrocket over those 40 years.
On average, rent doesn't actually go up in real terms (that is, when adjusted for inflation). This problem does not exist.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM

574 posts, read 696,690 times
Quote:
On average, rent doesn't actually go up in real terms (that is, when adjusted for inflation). This problem does not exist.
Agreed. This is why I can plan to retire while renting - as long as my portfolio can cover renting costs adjusted for inflation I will be fine.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
doesnt matter

minimum wage = the law says you have to at least pay this minimum

it's not about rent or utility bills

i remember like in the early 90's minimum wage was $2.85/hr and then they bumped it to $3.15 and then it was $3.25/hr so on and so forth

you could also get a 2 bedroom apt in the hood for $300/mo and a loaf of bread was like $1 and a gallon of gas could be had for like $0.89/gallon

so you see it's all relative

the minimum wage could be $19/hr now and relative costs of things would go up

so it will always come back to trying to get out of minimum wage land

no sense in folks bisching about it like they will be rich or something...it will not make a difference

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^This. The implication that MW is supposed to pay enough to live alone is ABSURD
Agreed. And in expensive housing markets, building new housing helps low earners A LOT more than raising the minimum wage. If you maintain the same number of housing units, the highest earners will always outbid the lowest.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, but for someone making minimum wage, $500/month is not affordable once you account for property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and repairs.

They can only afford a house by saving for it, not borrowing. The middle class can afford to spend money on interest, the working class has to pay cash.
I really doubt there are many people making minimum wage that are buying houses, saving or borrowing doesn't materially change how affordable it is and it's basically not. Maybe if you lived rent free and basically saved everything you made for a few decades it would be possible.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
doesnt matter

minimum wage = the law says you have to at least pay this minimum

it's not about rent or utility bills

i remember like in the early 90's minimum wage was $2.85/hr and then they bumped it to $3.15 and then it was $3.25/hr so on and so forth

you could also get a 2 bedroom apt in the hood for $300/mo and a loaf of bread was like $1 and a gallon of gas could be had for like $0.89/gallon

so you see it's all relative

the minimum wage could be $19/hr now and relative costs of things would go up

so it will always come back to trying to get out of minimum wage land

no sense in folks bisching about it like they will be rich or something...it will not make a difference
A loaf of bread can still be got for a $1.00 today. The issue is that $300/mo 2 bedroom is now $900+ in Phoenix, the $0.89/gallon of gas is about $2.00 more. When the minimum wage was 2.85/hour a gallon of gas made up around 31% of an hour's pay. Today at the federal rate a gallon of gas is now up to 40% of an hour's pay. Gas shot up 3.2 times the rate in the 90's while minimum wages shot up only 2.5 times in the same time. Now, yes only a small amount are paid minimum wage but most jobs created during the recovery have been within $5.00 above minimum wage and most are part time to avoid giving benefits.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A loaf of bread can still be got for a $1.00 today. The issue is that $300/mo 2 bedroom is now $900+ in Phoenix, the $0.89/gallon of gas is about $2.00 more. When the minimum wage was 2.85/hour a gallon of gas made up around 31% of an hour's pay. Today at the federal rate a gallon of gas is now up to 40% of an hour's pay. Gas shot up 3.2 times the rate in the 90's while minimum wages shot up only 2.5 times in the same time. Now, yes only a small amount are paid minimum wage but most jobs created during the recovery have been within $5.00 above minimum wage and most are part time to avoid giving benefits.
I found a bunch for $500-600 in about 15 seconds, so not really. $300 in 1990 would be about $520 today.

Low wage jobs coming out of a recession is nothing new anyway. You're really talking about a difference in scope, not a new phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics