Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

Saw that on this page.

http://mostlywater.org/section_8_the_myths_low_income_housing (broken link)

Was reading the real estate forum and noted that someone said "I don't take Section 8." I was wondering what section 8 was. Never heard of it before. I guess that says something about me. I know what welfare is..and we had "projects" in my home town. Didn't know 'bout Section 8, though.

Heck, when I was in the Air Force my family qualified for WIC and food stamps. Mmmm, delicious government cheese. Actually, it wasn't government cheese. The commissary didn't have cheap cheese. They had good cheese. Like Kraft cheese. Mmm...I think we got like 3lbs and like a crap ton of milk. I had government cheese as a kid, though. It was awesome. My mom would go and get it. I think they gave it out from a big truck. We'd go to the cheese truck and we'd be so happy that we could make cheese sandwiches and not be hungry. Mom didn't look so happy, though. I guess she didn't like cheese so much.

Anyway, gettting back on subject, I was wondering if you could pay rent & live on minimum wage.

I couldn't. Heck, my rent/utulities ALONE is $1432.

Washington minimum wage is $8.07.

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Minimum Wage Laws in the States - January 1, 2008

That works out to $16,785.60 a year. Ermm...no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
lets see. 8/hr. I just saw an apartment complex is a bad area asking for 875/month for a 1bed/1bath.

that works out to 16,640/year and after all taxes that is 1,110.32 per month. Add in a room mate to get the rent lower and you'll make it by.

Bus to work, cook all your own food, utilities probably run in the 50-100 range. 20 for basic internet. 50 for basic cellphone.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,127,517 times
I saw something on TV where there were apartment owners kicking tenants out so they could get government money, but I'm not sure if it was section 8. I got the impression they got more money out of it than if they had normal apartments. I'm sorry, but I don't remember where this was or what station I was watching. I do remember that most of the tenants were convicted child molesters.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,127,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
lets see. 8/hr. I just saw an apartment complex is a bad area asking for 875/month for a 1bed/1bath.

that works out to 16,640/year and after all taxes that is 1,110.32 per month. Add in a room mate to get the rent lower and you'll make it by.

Bus to work, cook all your own food, utilities probably run in the 50-100 range. 20 for basic internet. 50 for basic cellphone.
I used to live in a garage apartment. That was in Abilene Texas, where this was very common, and it was very reasonable. Other towns had converted part of a house into a one-room apartment, also a good deal, especially for a bachelor.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Before I moved to my current town, I was only paying $360/month -- this was mid 2004. Electric hit me up for $50/month (water was paid by apartment owners). I rode my mountain bike everywhere so no gas/registration/inspection/maintenance/insurance. I had no cable TV, nor a TV, but I did have DSL and a landline phone. $58/month. Grocery bill was about $120 month. No debt. So about $590/month and I arguably had a happier, more stable, more secure, more fulfilling life. I find the inability to buy anything to be a very freeing feeling. And being frugal with electricity and groceries isn't something you have to try at, it's just a simple way of life. Doesn't help much with retirement savings, however.

Minimum wage here gets you $13,624/year, which nets out to $1033/month. So yes, I could do it, although I'd have to take a few steps back from my current standard of living and put off house-buying plans (and retirement savings). Wouldn't be all bad...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
If it's even possible here in L.A., any place affordable on minimum wage would be a roach infested hovel. Average rent for a two-bedroom apartment here is $2,619, though there are better deals to be had in the San Fernando Valley part of L.A. (usually around $1500 average). This is why so many people double and triple up in spaces that are way too small.

I'm lucky to be in an apartment under rent control; I'm paying 28% below market rate, because I've lived here for eleven years now (and wish I could afford to move!!!). I have two kids in college, so my salary, though over the average for L.A., doesn't go very far.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 AM

14 posts, read 21,524 times
If you make low wages you can only afford low rentals and if it is Section 8 housing, theres a waiting list usually and not recommended. If you can share a apt rent with someone you are able to afford a higher rent and that is highly recommended. [url=http://www.gosection8.com/what-is-section8.aspx]GoSection8.com - Section 8 Rental Housing & Apartments Listing Service for Landlords & Tenants[/url]

Old 11-03-2014, 05:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Add in a room mate (or two) ... and you'll make it by.

Bus to work, cook all your own food, utilities probably run in the 50-100 range.
20 for basic internet. 50 for basic cellphone.
^^This. The implication that MW is supposed to pay enough to live alone is ABSURD

Run the math the other way:
40hrs @ $8/ - 15% witholding x 1.5 weeks per month = $408 per month available
Outside of Manhattan or San Francisco that should be plenty on a share basis.
The issue is getting the 40 hours clocked every week.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Saw that on this page.

http://mostlywater.org/section_8_the_myths_low_income_housing (broken link)

Was reading the real estate forum and noted that someone said "I don't take Section 8." I was wondering what section 8 was. Never heard of it before. I guess that says something about me. I know what welfare is..and we had "projects" in my home town. Didn't know 'bout Section 8, though.

Heck, when I was in the Air Force my family qualified for WIC and food stamps. Mmmm, delicious government cheese. Actually, it wasn't government cheese. The commissary didn't have cheap cheese. They had good cheese. Like Kraft cheese. Mmm...I think we got like 3lbs and like a crap ton of milk. I had government cheese as a kid, though. It was awesome. My mom would go and get it. I think they gave it out from a big truck. We'd go to the cheese truck and we'd be so happy that we could make cheese sandwiches and not be hungry. Mom didn't look so happy, though. I guess she didn't like cheese so much.

Anyway, gettting back on subject, I was wondering if you could pay rent & live on minimum wage.

I couldn't. Heck, my rent/utulities ALONE is $1432.

Washington minimum wage is $8.07.

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Minimum Wage Laws in the States - January 1, 2008

That works out to $16,785.60 a year. Ermm...no.
Well, obviously you can't pay a rent of $1432 on minimum wage - this is not rocket science.

You'd have to get roommates and split the bill or move to a VLCOL area.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
If I were making minimum wage, I would look for a room to rent in a home. That is much more economical than renting an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics