Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
[1] Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)

[2] Our bank accounts are secure (unlike the 1930s)

[3] The American Dollar is rising against foreign currencies

[4] The world economic leaders and federal reserve are working to solve the problems (unlike the 1930s)

[5] Property values have not changed much in the last six months

[6] Business are still making relatively good profits

[7] Our ATM and credit cards are still working

[8] There is still lots of things to buy and people will still be buying things for Christmas

[9] The Airports are jammed and my local travel agent is still getting lots of calls.

[10] People are still going to the stores and buying computers, DVDs and Plasma Televisions.
[1] If you count underemployment, it's near 14%. The bulk of jobs are often in low paying, no-future positions.

[2] In 1933, Congress repudiated their notes (dollar bills) and ceased redeeming them with lawful money. Bank accounts payable in FRNS are worthless.

[3] The American Dollar is a silver coin, pursuant to the Coinage Act of 1792. A Dollar bill is a repudiated debt instrument, with no par value.

[4] The federal reserve caused the problem.

[5] Property values are denominated in dollars, but actually refer to "Dollar bills" (no par value). "Inflated" dollar bill values only mean that the currency has lost buying power - not that the property "increased" in value.

[6] Businesses are tanking, retailers are closing, it's getting bleak.

[7] Plastic access to accounts with instrumentalities of usury are not proof of prosperity.

[8] Christmas 2008 was a bust.

[9] The Airports are jammed - because carriers are cutting flights and squeezing costs.

[10] People are not going to stores to buy luxuries, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"most of us who want to work?" What planet are you from?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"most of us who want to work?" What planet are you from?
Since unemployment would have to be 50%+ for the OP's statement not to be true, I'm guessing Earth.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
So, where is the Refugee?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I disagree. I just read an article about the "new" poor showing up at food pantries.
They sneak in and sneak out not wanting any of their friends to see them.
They are embarrassed yet they keep up a facade with their friends and co-workers.

There may be a lot more people hurting then you think..it's not cool to be falling behind the Jones's you know.

I stook in line behind a lady yesterday in the supermarket..it took 4 CC's before her charge went through. Yes she was embarressed and grumbled about the banks messing up her account.
Who knows if it's true or not..just my observations and readings.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Number of homeless families rises sharply - The Boston Globe

Anyone else notice what's wrong with this picture? All the programs in the world will not help if people don't change their behaviors.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
"Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)"

I guess I am part of that 10% that is suffering and I am a little appalled, no wait alot appalled at the above comment. WTH do you mean for those of us who want to work! My husband didn't ask to get laidoff! He loved his job and was damn good at it, and he wanted to work-we didn't ask for this. He worked for IBM-who did not layoff because of these troubling times but because thats how IBM is....one day after posting record profits, IBM cut 5000K and more to come. So take your comments and shove it!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
"Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)"

I guess I am part of that 10% that is suffering and I am a little appalled, no wait alot appalled at the above comment. WTH do you mean for those of us who want to work! My husband didn't ask to get laidoff! He loved his job and was damn good at it, and he wanted to work-we didn't ask for this. He worked for IBM-who did not layoff because of these troubling times but because thats how IBM is....one day after posting record profits, IBM cut 5000K and more to come. So take your comments and shove it!
What he means is that your husband should take a job as a greeter at Walmart or a towel guy at a local car wash if he wants to work. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm sure if it comes down to it he will if that's his only choice.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What he means is that your husband should take a job as a greeter at Walmart or a towel guy at a local car wash if he wants to work. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm sure if it comes down to it he will if that's his only choice.
While a job is better then no job, being underemployed after being gainfully employed is quiet a shock for people still.

Super high underemployment levels is just slightly better then straight unemployment.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Number of homeless families rises sharply - The Boston Globe

Anyone else notice what's wrong with this picture? All the programs in the world will not help if people don't change their behaviors.
trishguard the poor woman "learned she was pregnant".

Sounds like she hasn't learned much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics