Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcee View Post
Once again,on credit? Do you know how many people are actually paying CASH?
Well yes, actually I am still buying and paying cash. But that is what I have been doing for years, and that is what allows me to continue, as I'm not saddled with debt and the credit card companies raising interest rates on me while shrinking my credit line.

Had dinner out last night with friends. They too are still spending, and with cash, as they too have always followed the same principle. I'll buy it when it I can pay cash, and only then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The news media is telling us that we are currently in the biggest economic collapse since the 1930s. But:

Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)

Our bank accounts are secure (unlike the 1930s)

The American Dollar is rising against foreign currencies

The world economic leaders and federal reserve are working to solve the problems (unlike the 1930s)

Property values have not changed much in the last six months

Business are still making relatively good profits

Our ATM and credit cards are still working

There is still lots of things to buy and people will still be buying things for Christmas

The Airports are jammed and my local travel agent is still getting lots of calls.

People are still going to the stores and buying computers, DVDs and Plasma Televisions.
-------
Sure, times are tough for some of us but this is hardly like the Great Depression or the Reagan Recession in the early 1980s.

1. Yeah, tell that to the hundreds of thousands who have been laid off, most of which are unemployed still, or are in jobs paying a fraction of the wage.

2. Your bank account is secure? You really think that? You think the Feds would be able to pay you if there were a run on the banks like in the 20's and 30's? There are 100's of billions of dollars of deposit assets "insured" by the federal government. Where exactly would the US get that money?

3. After sinking to all time lows and being threatened to be replaced on the world market by the Euro, the American dollar really doesnt seem to be able to sink much lower, so it "rising" isnt news.

4. Yeah, theyre doing such a grand job of that.

5. Yes, actually they have. Property values continue to sink.

6. Yeah, oil companies are making good profits. But while you werent looking, a bunch of banks went down in flames, the US auto industry is depending on government bail outs, about 90% of retailers reported poor earnings or losses, and giants like Circuit City actually went bankrupt.

7. So what?

8. Obviously you arent involved in retail or transportation. Because if you were, you would have noticed how many truckers have parked their rigs and walked away from them, and how many sit for days or weeks between loads. People are NOT buying big ticket items, at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM

458 posts, read 776,799 times
Quote:
The news media is telling us that we are currently in the biggest economic collapse since the 1930s. But:
The economic numbers suggest that it is true, the news media simply report those numbers.

Quote:

Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)
The real unemployment rate is over 10% which is historically high.
Quote:

Quote:
That is not relevant to except that economies worldwide are down
Quote:
The world economic leaders and federal reserve are working to solve the problems (unlike the 1930s)
They are doing the same thing as the 1930's, which prolonged and deepened the downturn.
Quote:
Not true at all

Quote:
Also not true.
Quote:
Many have had their credit lines cut, I know of several personally.
Quote:
There is still lots of things to buy and people will still be buying things for Christmas
This is March, Xmas is a long way off.
Quote:
The Airports are jammed and my local travel agent is still getting lots of calls.
Airline traffic is down over 10% year to year
Quote:
People are still going to the stores and buying computers, DVDs and Plasma Televisions.
Yes, from Circuit City and liquidation sales
-------
Quote:
Sure, times are tough for some of us but this is hardly like the Great Depression or the Reagan Recession in the early 1980s.
The Carter Recession that Reagan got us out of.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Number of homeless families rises sharply - The Boston Globe

Anyone else notice what's wrong with this picture? All the programs in the world will not help if people don't change their behaviors.
What past century did you time warp in from? That means hard work and thinking and junk. uhhhhhh what's up with dat? I'd rather watch the latest sitcom which is about the same (and as lame) as the last 5 I watched...but so what? It's easy. mushy mush. You crazy or something? Now keep quiet, go nuke up some chicken nuggets and pass the remote; the "American Idiots" talent show semi-finals are coming up and I love how they make fun of the stupid ones, heh heh heh

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times
Quote:

-------
step a-w-a-y from the crack pipe !!!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Lol ..... the opening post was made back in September, before things got really hairy. But even back then I was forecasting catastrophes and doom!

I have to go back and look at when I posted my first thread here, The Doomer Thread. I think it was back around then.

By the way, I'm still advising the stockpiling of food, I may or may not do a thread on that later. Credit hasn't been available for many farmers, and they can't plant without it. Also California is in a drought and irrigation is going to be restricted, and they produce most of the food in this country.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Except your retirement savings had taken a 50% hit. Especially if you are a baby boomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics