U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,657,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I work for Lowe's Home Improvement, and at least on our end I often ask myself "what recession?" Considering we sell primarily goods purchased with discretionary income I'm never ceased to be amazed by how busy we are. The best was the customer who purchased a reconditioned push mower and paid for it with three different credit cards while griping about how much of a "necessary burden" his purchase was only to ask for help loading it into his VOLVO! If you're driving a VOLVO you're not poor! Sheesh!

What gives? I mean, I'm happy to see that our store is so recession-proof, and it's a delight to help our customers, but how can a nation bleeding so much economically be affording to buy so many luxury goods?
A lot of it has to do with location. Areas like Southern California, Las Vegas, and South Florida are getting hit much harder than other areas of the country. Over the past decade many retail chains have overbuilt in these areas most affected by the housing boom, and that is what is killing them now.

A new prediction states that over 25% of all stores in business now will be gone by the end of 2009. Whats going to happen to all the empty strip malls? What about shopping malls which will lose all their stores after they lose their anchor department stores? They will become a magnet for crime and property values will decrease further worsening the housing problem.

Personally I think a retail bailout might be necessary. I was against the Wall Street bailout and am on the fence about an auto-bailout, but this is the one bailout that will actually affect main street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,439,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
The gap is one of the best places to shop for clothes at great prices. The kid and baby clothes are the best in the business.
Huh?

I am sorry, I have recently shopped/browsed at the Gap.

Yes some of their clothes are great, but others are just not up to par w/what I'd expect at the Gap.

The clothes that are great, should be for the price.

My mother just bought my daughter a coat there for $68. It is lovely, but, the sleeves are definitely too short for a 4T. They are constantly 2 inches above the sleeve of her shirt. The matching hat, adorable, but about $20.

On the same trip, I got her a fleece robe, very high quality, but $35.

I also got her two pairs of pants, one of which is the same quality I find at Old navy, but they were $24, comparing to Old Navy, where you can find sales periodically to get pants for $12 - $15 in the same size range.

Their sales aren't great, and if you browse the sale rack there is a hodge podge of random stuff and it usually isn't even cheap yet.

And the clothes that are mediocre come with high price tags.

I am all for high quality children's clothes, but really, a two year old doesn't need a pair of pants that will withstand 50 washes. They grow too fast.

I like Gymboree much better than the Gap, hands down. While some of the stuff is a little too "much" in terms of bows, patterns, too much going on, there is plenty to choose from that is adorable, letting little girls be girls. The quality is very good, very consistent, and although they are pricey just like the Gap, they constantly have some kind of sale going, giving the consumer the opportunity to find outfits, yes, the shirts and the pants, for a reasonable price. Add to that the sales they run w/20% off sale, 20% of total purchase coupons, and Gymbucks, which you earn a $25 coupon for every $50 you spend, to be applied to a future purchase, and you have good opportunity to buy great quality clothes at affordable prices.

I am currently sitting on $225 worth of Gymbucks good sometime this month. So I will buy $450 worth of clothing for $225. I am planning to buy some things for the spring if they are out, otherwise pick up some things for next fall and winter. Who knows? Whatever I don't use I'll give to my cousin.

Gap is over-rated in general, though I do pick some things up there.

sorry for the babbling!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,895,328 times
In my town, businesses are closing like crazy, there are empty retail space everywhere and every couple of houses you'll see a For Sale sign... so let's build a Super Wal Mart! They say they need the tax revenue (even though there's a walmart 12 miles down the road....) Why the hell not... all we have in this town is liquor stores, churches and Thai restaurants anyway. Linens and Things is empty, Mervyns is empty, Borders will probably be going soon (it's always empty because we have an amazing Barnes and Noble downtown). So sad.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,439,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
In my town, businesses are closing like crazy, there are empty retail space everywhere and every couple of houses you'll see a For Sale sign... so let's build a Super Wal Mart! They say they need the tax revenue (even though there's a walmart 12 miles down the road....) Why the hell not... all we have in this town is liquor stores, churches and Thai restaurants anyway. Linens and Things is empty, Mervyns is empty, Borders will probably be going soon (it's always empty because we have an amazing Barnes and Noble downtown). So sad.
I did hear of a borders closing in CA, don't know how but I got an email about it.

Here, borders is in the mall, and barnes and noble is in a strip mall type of thing next door. Don't know who is doing better but I haven't been to B&N since borders opened in the mall, i pop in there whenever I go to the mall (which is more than I ever wnent to B&N)

Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,340,127 times
I really don't know how Borders and Barnes and noble are still alive in large numbers. They are a complete rip off compared to Amazon and the selection isn't even that good.

At best the stores offer a nice environment to kick back for awhile or study in, but how much money are they making off these people? Is it their coffee etc that is keeping them alive?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 AM

25,370 posts, read 37,683,659 times
I heard that Footlocker is going to close many stores....I expect K-mart to close more than the announced stores, Sears as well and what I saw at the mall the other day wasn't very hopeful although the new opened mall close to us seems to sell a lot and attrack a lot of shoppers but it is the kiss of death to other malls in the area!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM

705 posts, read 1,146,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Thats really hard to say unless you watch the Market.

Just because a store doesn't do good in your area, doesn't mean its not booming somewhere else.
I was thinking the same thing. In addition, just having customers at deep discounts does not equal profits. A busy store could also be on the way out.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,657,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I really don't know how Borders and Barnes and noble are still alive in large numbers. They are a complete rip off compared to Amazon and the selection isn't even that good.

At best the stores offer a nice environment to kick back for awhile or study in, but how much money are they making off these people? Is it their coffee etc that is keeping them alive?
It may be a Generation Y thing, because I don't see the huge appeal in online shopping. I would much rather go to a brick-and-mortar store and purchase what I am looking for than order it online, wait a week to get it, and then if its damaged or not what I was looking for, go through the nightmare of sending it back. And I don't do Netflix. If I want to see a movie, I go to a Blockbuster or Movie Gallery to rent it and watch it that night. While online retail has its place, I hope it doesn't completely take over like a lot of people are wanting it to. The only thing I ever use online shopping for is stuff I can't get in my area (since I live in a small town).

Online retail to me is the modern day equivalent of the mail order catalog - good for things you can't get where you live. If you are in a big city, support your local businesses and keep them alive!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,739,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
But didn't Macy's just go nationwide earlier this year? They used to be a primarily East Coast chain but I do recall reading about their expansion to the West Coast. I have a relative in California who emailed me about Macy's taking over one of their previously-West Coast department store chains. I'd think under those circumstances Macy's has already weeded out and closed all the locations that they thought likely to be less- or non-productive after the expansion.

I'm kind of surprised that Lord & Taylor is still around. About a year ago there were announcements that they would be closing either most or all of their 3 or 4 stores here on Long Island. But AFAIK none of them closed. Perhaps they got a cash infusion. However I'm not sure if Lord & Taylor has a retail presence outside the Northeast. They are now owned by the same company who also owns Hudson's Bay Company (a Canadian chain) and Fortunoff's (which is strictly NYC/metro). IMO Lord & Taylor is still a cut above Macy's. During the 1960s-1980s, they were definitely a couple of steps above Macy's for sure. Now they're pretty much the same although IMO the L&T stores themselves are still noticeably nicer even though they have almost exactly the same brands and prices as Macy's. Not sure whether that means Macy's has "come up" or that L&T has "slipped", LOL!
I work for Macy's and yes, we bought all the former May Co. stores a while back and in May 2007 all the monikers changed to Macy's. We did sell Lord&Taylor as well as David's Bridal following that accquisition.

Macy's has come up.. because they have me now!! LOL.

Seriously, we have a huge customer service initiative so that our customers will receive outstanding service every time!!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM

25,370 posts, read 37,683,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I work for Macy's and yes, we bought all the former May Co. stores a while back and in May 2007 all the monikers changed to Macy's. We did sell Lord&Taylor as well as David's Bridal following that accquisition.

Macy's has come up.. because they have me now!! LOL.

Seriously, we have a huge customer service initiative so that our customers will receive outstanding service every time!!
Macy's and Dillards are great, but I like Dillards sales better.
We bought our son a Lucky brand watch which was discounted at Dillards from $ 125.- to $ 59.99...nice deal.

We went later to Macy's to check what the price would be there and to our surprise Macy was charging $ 135.- for the same watch and even a week later still no other discount that they offerend me 10% if I would take a Macy's credit card!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or