U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,585,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I'm not generation Y and I prefer to shop online
I'm 50 and prefer to shop online also. I don't know if we represent a majority, but I'm sure many people out there feel the same way for a variety of reasons. I don't shop online because it is cheaper, I do it because it is more convenient for me to shop on my own time in the quiet of my own home. I would rather wait 10 days to get my item than to fight traffic and lines in the stores during my time off of work.

For those of us who have chosen to go online for the majority of our shopping needs, surely local stores and corporate stores have felt the financial loss. I don't feel guilty about it because I am still pumping money into the over all economy.

----------------------------------------
As far as the original thread topic, I think super stores like WalMart don't just do well due to their prices, but the convenience of getting all your shopping done without having to go from store to store.
If ONLY they would have more aisles open....I would shop there more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,308,153 times
this year was the first year I did most of my shopping online. It was great. Shipping was free for orders over $25 (when I used Amazon). You also had the choice of new/used which gave you possibly lower prices...

All things being equal, I would shop online first. (Unless the price in the store was much cheaper). However, for clothes especially I need to try the stuff on, so ordering online for most clothes would be out for me....everything else I believe would be fair game.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Online shopping for books is much cheaper than Barnes and Noble even when you pay for shipping. Shipping is sometimes free from Amazon or only a few dollars. I like going to the bookstore, but it's not worth paying almost double for some books. Half.com is good too where you can books for only a couple dollars.

I would like to support local shops but I would only care if it my friend actually owned it. But I don't care about supporting a big box retailer that is a corporation...
I love book stores, but the kind where there are stacks of used books and a great variety of books that Barnes and Noble doesn't stock. There is one in town and I do go there. But I love Amazon because there are books available there that are very hard to find anywhere else. I can pick my price and save on a book with a few marks on it if I choose. Having it come in the mail without having to go to the store is well worth it to me. I also buy dvd's this way... the selection is as good as anywhere else, and a used dvd is almost guarenteed to play as well as a new one, and if it doesn't they accomidate returns.

To me it is no different if I buy from Target, Walmart, Borders, Barnes and Noble online or in the store. The profit goes to the same place.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,260,296 times
I strongly suspect Office Depot it stocks down to 2 dollars a share where it rival Staples is around 16 a share . Staples now is doing office section in grocery stores giving them the competitive edge.
I dont know anything about OfficeMax

Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,611,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I strongly suspect Office Depot it stocks down to 2 dollars a share where it rival Staples is around 16 a share . Staples now is doing office section in grocery stores giving them the competitive edge.
I dont know anything about OfficeMax
Office Depot is doing very well in my area. I think there will be more store closings but I don't think the company will go under.

OfficeMax however is another story. We could very likely see it disappear since its third in its category.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,420,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I'm not generation Y and I prefer to shop online because:
1.) Its cheaper
2.) Can avoid sales tax (and make it even cheaper)
3.) Greater selection.

I would prefer to shop for books at a brick and mortar store, but with the tax savings it ends up costing 40% more to do so. That isn't worth it to me. Plus the selection is far better online, the book stores are filled with "best seller" crap.

Sending back purchases isn't a nightmare. At worse, you have to go online and get a RMA number and then put it in the mail. Not any harder than going to the store to return it.

The only things I don't purchase online are things that are very heavy or clothes, or of course food.

Netflix has a growing selection of on demand movies. You can watch on your computer or on your TV with conjunction with Xbox live. In most areas it only takes 1 day to get your movie in the mail though.

I shopped out of catalogs when I was a kid for the same reasons. It was cheaper and the selection was better. I remember when my first RC plane kit came in the mail COD! It was 30% more at the local hobby shop.

The internet makes the buying experience better though due to the interaction with other consumers, better graphics etc. So, it is a big improvement over mail order catalogs.

I don't really care about keeping local businesses alive.
Several states are looking into getting tough on internet sales taxes. Man, talk about killing something that's cool.

I know it's sort of off topic, but one of the things I used to enjoy about going to a car parts store was talking to a well informed ex mechanic or perhaps a "shade tree" mechanic behind the desk. Now, it's just parts jockeys. I asked a girl for some brake line one time and she was like "What's that?"

Stores used to have people that worked at them that not only sold items, but understood and had a vested interest in understanding the items that they sold.

I don't get that feeling at most chain stores these days.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,381,340 times
Ford may have a lease on life, but the same can't be said for GM.
Macy's seems to be standing on thin ice.
AIG will be nationalized.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM

7,677 posts, read 24,993,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I just saw a Linens and Things that is going out of business last week.

I agree, there are not only too many retailers selling the same stuff, but too many of the same retailers.

i was just talking to my uncle about Stop & Shops and CVSs. They are everywhere. I understand that if they open another store 6 miles down the road, they will get more customers, but how many more? Wouldn't they just be better off trying to attract people to the one they already have. I mean really, there are two Stop & Shops, and they are probably not even THREE miles apart, on the same major road! Forget about competing with your competitor, they are competing against themself.
Gamestop is another one. For the longest time they had two stores in the Valley Fair Mall.. one right upstairs from the other one. They finally got around to closing one. But now they have two in sleepy Morgan Hill - about 1000 feet apart on Cochrane Road..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,125,114 times
I'm wondering how long Lord and Taylor is going to last.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,543,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Gamestop is another one. For the longest time they had two stores in the Valley Fair Mall.. one right upstairs from the other one. They finally got around to closing one. But now they have two in sleepy Morgan Hill - about 1000 feet apart on Cochrane Road..
Until my kids get older Gamestop is reccession proof. Same with Areopostale(sp?). If my daughther ever swicthes brands you'll know it because they'll miss their numbers by a mile..LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or