U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,410,667 times

Advertisements

The empty stores will stay empty ugly shells and when new business moves in they will spend a lot of big money building new buildings that will become empty ugly shells. I sure wish we required remediation of existing buidlings [or at least the sites] before issuing permits for new construction [but I guess a lot of that won't be going on now]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM

472 posts, read 771,936 times
Borders Books & Music.... Barnes & Nobles passed on buying them this spring and they have had some major reorgs recently. Between the economy and Amazon.com it's likely this chain will fold next year.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

10,718 posts, read 19,066,981 times
I don't have all the chains near me that have been listed but here's my take: Linens 'n Things (already done), Circuit City, JCPenney, Sears, KMart (these stores didn't keep up with the times, tried to be too trendy and/or got rid of valuable sales people, thus leaving NO customer service), probably some Pier One stores but not all, probably some Bath & Body Works but not all, probably some Macy's but certainly not all. That's all I can think of for now (not going into the numerous $1+ stores).

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,903,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Target on the other hand - nope they will be around. I shop at SuperTarget weekly (okay, so it is more like 3x a week ) and it is ALWAYS BUSY! Even when we have been to ones out of town they all were busy. Target actually has great customer service, a clean environment, good prices and GREAT sale prices as well as good quality. I LOVE SuperTarget
Agreed! We love our SuperTarget. It's a little further from home than Kroger, Tom Thumb, and Albertson's, but now when we go in those we feel like they're disorganized, cramped, and a little depressing.

As for shops that might go under: Vitamin Shoppe, Einstein Bagels, Conns.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,607,446 times
I think virtually all electronics stores other than Best Buy are threatened. The tech boom is over and though the herd is thinning after the collapse of CompUSA and PC Club, there are still too many stores competing for what is now a much smaller market. Sad thing is this is leaving holes in many small to mid-sized cities.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,226,054 times
I think many of the proposed closures in this thread are pretty accurate, my expectation is that "the big one" might be K Mart/Sears.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Borders is in trouble. Use up those gift certificates, and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Basically any merchant who's business relies on those with discressionary income.
Well ... that includes everything outside of grocery stores and car mechanics.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,451,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think virtually all electronics stores other than Best Buy are threatened. The tech boom is over and though the herd is thinning after the collapse of CompUSA and PC Club, there are still too many stores competing for what is now a much smaller market. Sad thing is this is leaving holes in many small to mid-sized cities.
What about online sellers? I stopped going to CompUSA years ago when I discovered several online retailers like buy.com and newegg.com. The internet, not just the economy, has ruined many brick and mortar electronics stores.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,607,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
What about online sellers? I stopped going to CompUSA years ago when I discovered several online retailers like buy.com and newegg.com. The internet, not just the economy, has ruined many brick and mortar electronics stores.
I agree Newegg killed CompUSA and the many mom and pop PC shops, which is unfortunate because sometimes it's not convenient to have to wait on an order, though the brick-and-mortar places have themselves to blame for not offering competitive prices.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

180 posts, read 719,469 times
With netflix and movies on demand, I don't see how Hollywood Video and Blockbuster make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or