U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:13 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Linens N Things is on its way out. I never could understand how they AND its 'twin', Bed Bath & Beyond, could both survive in the same market. They look the same, they carry the same merchandise, they price the same, and they even take each others coupons! For a while I even thought they were under the same corporate umbrella (same suit, different pockets) because they are such clones of each other.
LNT's ultimate demise was b/c of their poor logistics & distribution (the overhead was just too costly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
IMO at least one of the small discount stores (Marshalls, TJMaxx, etc) will fail because just like LNT/BBB they seem to be pretty much clones of each other. I've only been in any of them occasionally but each time I came away very unimpressed; didn't see anything there that seemed different than what could be bought at someplace like Target. And I think that as gas becomes more expensive, people will gravitate more to the larger discount stores because of their larger floorspace and selection for 'one stop shopping'.
TJX (Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeGoods, etc.) seems to be doing fine.

On the other hand, Tuesday Morning is hurting.

Wal-Mart isn't going anywhere. In fact, their sales are up.

Kmart/Sears will eventually go bankrupt.

Target is doing fine and I don't foresee them going out of business anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
...the L&T there and at two other locations is having a merchandise clearance/liquidation (not sure what the terminology was in the ad). I rarely saw anybody in the nearby one - then again, I rarely saw any employees either and that was frustrating.

LNT is in liquidation now. Most of the goods are only 10% off, but as time goes on, the percentage will increase. I believe they're closing the doors in December.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

TJX (Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeGoods, etc.) seems to be doing fine.

Wal-Mart isn't going anywhere. In fact, their sales are up.

Kmart/Sears will eventually go bankrupt.

Target is doing fine and I don't foresee them going out of business anytime soon.

I agree w/your predictions. I don't see Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeGoods failing because, unlike Wal-Mart, you can find higher-quality products (e.g. well-tailored designer clothes, higher-quality furnishings, etc.) at steeply discounted prices. There are still people (like myself) who will buy a higher-quality product over a cheaper, low-quality product made in China because the higher-quality product should last longer and be a better investment.

Target is a step down in quality. They copy the styles of higher-end brands from Macy's, Pottery Barn, etc. However, IMO there will continue to be a strong market for these higher style/lower quality/price products (esp. w/childrens' clothing, furnishings, etc.).

Wal-Mart is the lowest priced/lowest quality and there is obviously a growing market of buyers who purchase only the cheapest product regardless of quality.

I have no idea how Kmart, JcPenneys, Sears have hung on for all these years. Many of the stores have poor layout/customer service. They do not have a strong market niche other than Sears appliance lines. Maybe the independent appliance stores are doing ok? Sears also failed in the marketing/placement of their higher end Lands End line. And I don't know how the JCPenney print catalog operations could be profitable w/all the competitive online shopping.

There is also a childrens resale chain ("Once Upon A Child") that I think will continue to do quite well w/this market. Their stores are packed around here.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,122,354 times
Looks like Circuit City is on the ropes. The are closing 150 stores and trimming their work force of thousands of jobs.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
With netflix and movies on demand, I don't see how Hollywood Video and Blockbuster make it.

They both will be gone eventually. Netflix and Redbox are kicking their ass.

Blockbusters have slowly been going out of business near me.

I use Netflix and love it. I use Redbox occasionally as well just because it is cheap and convienent.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,817,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They both will be gone eventually. Netflix and Redbox are kicking their ass.

Blockbusters have slowly been going out of business near me.

I use Netflix and love it. I use Redbox occasionally as well just because it is cheap and convienent.
Blockbuster charged my 16 year old daughter more to rent a movie last night than it costs her to go to the regular theater and pay the student rate.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Quote:
LNT is in liquidation now. Most of the goods are only 10% off, but as time goes on, the percentage will increase. I believe they're closing the doors in December.
L&T - Lord & Taylor - NOT LNT I did previously post that LNT was closing all stores.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
L&T - Lord & Taylor - NOT LNT I did previously post that LNT was closing all stores.
Oops...sorry! My bad!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Quote:
Oops...sorry! My bad!
No problem, I see when we "quote" it doesn't pick up the entire post.

But back to my original point (maybe? lol) - Lord & Taylor seems to be having some issues in this area.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM

866 posts, read 3,747,504 times
Quote:
No problem, I see when we "quote" it doesn't pick up the entire post.

But back to my original point (maybe? lol) - Lord & Taylor seems to be having some issues in this area.
What, Lord & Taylor is going under. I did not hear anything about that. All I know is they are one of the most expensive places that I have ever been too, excluding Nordstrom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or