U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,761,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I have to think Sears is on the ropes
Definitely Circuit City
How about Pier 1?
I agree with Sears, just about every time I go in there, it's me and maybe 5 other people.
It's like a ghost town.

Circuit City? Probably. The one near me hardly has any business. The last time I went in, it was me and about 5 other people. Plus their location is not the best. The Best Buy closest to it gets more business.

Any votes for Toys-R-Us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
What, Lord & Taylor is going under. I did not hear anything about that. All I know is they are one of the most expensive places that I have ever been too, excluding Nordstrom.
There are 3 that are leaving their locations: ads in the paper, and those people on the street w/signs...merchandise liquidation, or likewise.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM

866 posts, read 3,747,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There are 3 that are leaving their locations: ads in the paper, and those people on the street w/signs...merchandise liquidation, or likewise.
Is the entire company going under or is it just a few locations around the country.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 PM

185 posts, read 583,192 times
I work in retail as cashier, and my hours of course have been cut. Sometimes it's not worth driving my car out of the driveway. The other night I had to go to Wal-Mart, the customers were like 4 people 1 medium size bag, of just the basic necessities. The way I shop anymore. So when I left it was 1 medium bags 1 person. Aspirin, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, deodorant. In other words they didn't get rich from my sale or rich from any of the other customers I could see. I don't think Wal-Mart will go BK, but they might as well forget all these holiday trappings, and fill the shelves with 50lb. bags of rice, 50lbs flour and sugar, at least 5 different kinds of beans in 50lb bags. Restaurant size cans of tomato sauce and other vegetables. Either that or close down the Wal-Mart chains and focus on Sam's Club all together.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,411,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
LNT's ultimate demise was b/c of their poor logistics & distribution (the overhead was just too costly.)

TJX (Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeGoods, etc.) seems to be doing fine.

On the other hand, Tuesday Morning is hurting.

Wal-Mart isn't going anywhere. In fact, their sales are up.

Kmart/Sears will eventually go bankrupt.

Target is doing fine and I don't foresee them going out of business anytime soon.
I'd never even heard of Tuesday Morning before your post....and I'm 36 and extremely erudite.

Not extreme enough it seems...

I mentioned it to my wife and she's like I've been there...
Now I feel double stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
I work in retail as cashier, and my hours of course have been cut. Sometimes it's not worth driving my car out of the driveway. The other night I had to go to Wal-Mart, the customers were like 4 people 1 medium size bag, of just the basic necessities. The way I shop anymore. So when I left it was 1 medium bags 1 person. Aspirin, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, deodorant. In other words they didn't get rich from my sale or rich from any of the other customers I could see. I don't think Wal-Mart will go BK, but they might as well forget all these holiday trappings, and fill the shelves with 50lb. bags of rice, 50lbs flour and sugar, at least 5 different kinds of beans in 50lb bags. Restaurant size cans of tomato sauce and other vegetables. Either that or close down the Wal-Mart chains and focus on Sam's Club all together.
I was going to say "You should see how many people are in them in the South." and then I saw you were from Florida. And felt triple stupid.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 AM

897 posts, read 2,522,110 times
Columbus, OH based Value City Furniture filing, liquidating all stores, with job losses of about 4,000.

Understandable that these stores are no longer needed, it's the job losses that are going to total up thats concerning to me along with all the vacant big boxes that will exist. No win situation.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,067 times
Thats really hard to say unless you watch the Market.

Just because a store doesn't do good in your area, doesn't mean its not booming somewhere else.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 AM

897 posts, read 2,522,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'd never even heard of Tuesday Morning before your post....and I'm 36 and extremely erudite.

Not extreme enough it seems...

I mentioned it to my wife and she's like I've been there...
Now I feel double stupid.

I was going to say "You should see how many people are in them in the South." and then I saw you were from Florida. And felt triple stupid.
Lauren Bacall is the spokesperson for Tuesday Morning. Guess she is suppose to bring a bit of class & refinement to the "treasure hunt" that they promote. IMO, these stores are mostly complete junk and chaotic often in bad locations. I don't see them sticking around. I find Homegoods a much better alternative and it has TJMaxx & Marshalls, two stores that will thrive in this economy, as a draw.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I agree with Sears, just about every time I go in there, it's me and maybe 5 other people.
It's like a ghost town.

Circuit City? Probably. The one near me hardly has any business. The last time I went in, it was me and about 5 other people. Plus their location is not the best. The Best Buy closest to it gets more business.

Any votes for Toys-R-Us?
That specific store may shut down, but not necessarily the entire chain which is nationwide. You said it yourself, the location is bad, as such that location's store may shut down. Doesn't mean the entire chain is going out of business.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,419,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What retailers do you think will be on the chopping block after the first of the year?

I think Circuit City is obvious. I will be surprised if Linens and Things hangs on. There will be some folding or consolidation of department store chains, which ones, I don't know. None of them look too hot. There will also likely be a thinning of the herd in the teen mall retailer genre (think Abercrombie, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc). There are two many stores selling the same stuff. Opinions?
I just saw a Linens and Things that is going out of business last week.

I agree, there are not only too many retailers selling the same stuff, but too many of the same retailers.

i was just talking to my uncle about Stop & Shops and CVSs. They are everywhere. I understand that if they open another store 6 miles down the road, they will get more customers, but how many more? Wouldn't they just be better off trying to attract people to the one they already have. I mean really, there are two Stop & Shops, and they are probably not even THREE miles apart, on the same major road! Forget about competing with your competitor, they are competing against themself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or