Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

UPDATE 2-GM/Chrysler seek $10 bln govt aid for merger - sources | Deals | Private Capital | Reuters

The best thing we can do is to give people who don't have a clue how to manage a company....10,000 million dollars so they can combine with another company...that has no idea how to manage a company.

Oh god. Why can't I get 10 billion for being stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
70Ford, how about you and I open up a "bank" in the form of a cardboard box on the side of the street that says "Bank" w/ a backwards 'k' and 'B', ask the government for an initial 10 billion dollar "capital start," loan that money out to people unfit to keep a piggy bank unbroken less pay off a large mortgage, and ask for a "capital injection," not a bailout.

I'm sure if you put down you committed several felonies, including grand larceny and embezzlement, as well as say you have 0 income that'll only sweeten the deal with them! They love to give to people who have been "disadvantaged."

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Feds may help automakers, aid in GM-Chrysler deal - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9434G0G0.htm - broken link)

The government has an interest in making sure automakers survive because of huge pension plans that it would have to insure, and the huge number of jobs that could go away if one of the companies goes bankrupt.

Chrysler employs about 49,000 in the U.S. and has roughly 125,000 pensioners. GM has 177,000 U.S. workers and around 500,000 people receiving pensions.
For each auto manufacturing job, there are 7.5 jobs with parts makers and other companies, according to the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor. Chrysler alone accounts for 318,500 to 392,000 jobs, while GM and Ford account for 2 million each, the center said.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Feds may help automakers, aid in GM-Chrysler deal - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9434G0G0.htm - broken link)

The government has an interest in making sure automakers survive because of huge pension plans that it would have to insure, and the huge number of jobs that could go away if one of the companies goes bankrupt.

Chrysler employs about 49,000 in the U.S. and has roughly 125,000 pensioners. GM has 177,000 U.S. workers and around 500,000 people receiving pensions.
For each auto manufacturing job, there are 7.5 jobs with parts makers and other companies, according to the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor. Chrysler alone accounts for 318,500 to 392,000 jobs, while GM and Ford account for 2 million each, the center said.
And if GM alone went BK, that would probably add about $400 Billion more to the default mortgage issues that currently exists...Add Ford to that and you have a second $800 Billion bailout on the way on top of what additional bailout is going to be needed.

THEN add about $40 Billion A YEAR for pensions that need taken care of and another $40 Billion A YEAR in health insurance for both F & GM retired and you have what will be known as the complete and utter collapse of the US economy.

Of course they are going to aid in any type of recover of the US auto industry. ALL our lives depend on it. Gov is just not going to shoot their load as quickly like with the banks...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The government should simply buy the outstanding stock and throw out the current managment. Then get some old hardass Navy Chief to run the place. It would probably make some profit because of the money saved on executive salary.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
In the end they need to demand complete overhaul of the contracts and those pension to make the bailout worth anyhting at all. It has been a industry way out of line as to tehir liabilties to income for a long time.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Is Bankruptcy Coming To General Motors Via Its Credit Arm GMAC? - The Resourceful Bear Blog - by Richard

GM eyes Chrysler cash, talks progressing: sources - Yahoo! Canada Finance

NewsHour Extra: Chrysler Sold to Private Investment Firm -- May 16, 2007

Looks like a shell game to me. Cerberus owns GMAC, and that little unregulated (yes, you read that right there in the article) GMAC bank, see? They gots the money see? And they're telling GM play ball, see? I don't think it's GM eyeing Chrysler. I think it's Cerberus eyeing GM...and a bailout.

Time for some amazingly bad predictions!

Chrysler WILL merge with GM and subsequent lay offs will be massive. You just don't need all those people. What a great reason to downsize in a bad economy. The press isn't as bad. "It's part of the merger." Nah, it's smart business...but it was gonna happen anyways.

The U.S. government will assume GM's & Chrysler's pension plans, and subsequently screw 605,000 current pensioners. I imagine they'll get 50 cents on the dollar.

GM says it provides health care and pensions to about 480,000 hourly and salaried retirees. Chrysler is obligated to support at least 125,000 hourly retirees and their spouses, plus tens of thousands more from the white-collar ranks.
Between 2009 and 2017, GM has committed to pay out $64.14 billion in pension benefits to U.S. retirees. Chrysler has estimated it has $14 billion in pension obligations between 2009 and 2017, and $10 billion in health care.

I think once Cerberus has the government/GM "bail out" Chrysler, they are NOT just going to say "Hey, GM....you can keep that 11.7 billion dollars Chrysler has." I mean, you're a greedy coorporation....what would you do? I'd screw everybody for a dime is what I'd do. I'd take the 667 million (the PBS article ) and then offload my white elephant onto US taxpayers. Oh hellz yeah.

Hrmmm... must do more research, then come back and make more bad predictions.....gotta put on my tinfoil hat, too.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...conspiracy.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...hHellsYeah.gif

Last edited by 70Ford; 10-28-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
What irony... the automobile helped to build the American economy and lifestyle, and may lead to their demise.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,297 times
Don't forget some of the Cerberus principals include John Snow, former inept treasury sec and Dan Quayle, former inept human being- I mean VP

Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The Haves and the Have Mores - the real Republican constituency.

You work for 40 years for a decent pension and the financiers steal it from you by using a financial emergency they created. Then the same Haves expect to be bailed out by the rest of the population. Yeah, like that is fair.

Economic class warfare is alive and well and most of us are losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics