Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

I will add a money saving tip that hasn't been brought up I believe...

For your hot water heater (especially for people in colder climates), I'd purchase a HWH Blanket. The small cost upfront would be paid off rather quickly. Also, check your copper pipes coming out of your HW heater. If any pipes are exposed, I'd purchase some cheap foam insulation from Walmart and cover those pipes.....it definitely will pay off in the long run, and I'm no handyman by any means...just did some research and talked to alot of people about it

And also very important. After insulating, turn down the water temp from 140 (if its that high) to 125-130F...(some have it even lower)...this will def save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 PM

349 posts, read 863,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Who knew that bi-weekly trip to McDonalds added up to $160/mo.
what are you ordering?!?!?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,531 times
I agree with bar tending, especially in our bad economy and with a new Historically Elected President, those tips will add up, as consumers wash away their soberness with their credit cards.

Edited to add, these consumers are not the ones who voted for Obama, they are the ones who were paying bills on time, keeping up on their house payment with not equity left...the ones who are now broken and very upset/depressed as Obama takes the realm. No, I am not one of them, but I imagine there are plenty of them out there!~

ETA most are those who will want to drown their emotions?

Last edited by Mugsy; 11-05-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
what are you ordering?!?!?
When 5 people have to eat the bill will be $20. Do that twice a week....$40. Do that every week....$160.

I usually get a chicken sandwich combo or something.
The three kids get happy meals.
The wife will get a fish sandwich combo.

And if we eat in and let the kids play on the playplace they'll eventually start begging for an icecream or apple pie.....

So yeah...it adds up like crazy.

We don't always eat at McD's...sometimes we'll do Pizza or something which isn't much cheaper....and if the wife has to have breadsticks or anything special it's more expensive. Personally I'll just take a little C's hot n ready for $5....but for some that's not good enough.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
When 5 people have to eat the bill will be $20. Do that twice a week....$40. Do that every week....$160.

I usually get a chicken sandwich combo or something.
The three kids get happy meals.
The wife will get a fish sandwich combo.

And if we eat in and let the kids play on the playplace they'll eventually start begging for an icecream or apple pie.....

So yeah...it adds up like crazy.

We don't always eat at McD's...sometimes we'll do Pizza or something which isn't much cheaper....and if the wife has to have breadsticks or anything special it's more expensive. Personally I'll just take a little C's hot n ready for $5....but for some that's not good enough.
Just a suggestion. For the kids bring some capri-suns and order them double cheesburgers or mcnuggets off the dollar menu. For yourself and your wife, look at the dollar menu first and share a drink...share a fry.....

That will cut your bill by at least half w/minimal effort.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,036 times
Yeah but its those darn toys in the happy meals not the food they care about. I stopped going to McD's-more because it is really bad for you. Very rarely do we go, maybe once a month if that!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I
And also very important. After insulating, turn down the water temp from 140 (if its that high) to 125-130F...(some have it even lower)...this will def save money.
This may be a silly question but my water heather doesn't have the actual temperature on it, just a range from low to medium. What would 125-130 be on a range?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
This may be a silly question but my water heather doesn't have the actual temperature on it, just a range from low to medium. What would 125-130 be on a range?
There are no silly questions. I'm no HVAC guy, I just went on a bunch of money saving sites and did some research on my Hot Water heater.

Every HWH is different. On mine, it has "triangles" for different settings, and the instruction manual tells me what temp each triangle represents. I moved the dial to between the 120 & 130 "triangles".

You need to look at your HWH and hopefully you have the manual that tells you on the dial what the specific temps are. If you don't have the manual, try googling it...you should be able to come up w/somehting...

good luck!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 AM

41 posts, read 91,729 times
Some good stuff here, thanks for the replies. Bartending a bit does sound like fun.

It was interesting to read ideas about cutting back the outflow side, rather than focusing on the income side. I'm a little reckless with my cash, so there's room for improvement there.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Some good stuff here, thanks for the replies. Bartending a bit does sound like fun.

It was interesting to read ideas about cutting back the outflow side, rather than focusing on the income side. I'm a little reckless with my cash, so there's room for improvement there.
The reason you get more responses about how to save money than spend it is because a lot of folks out there are discovering that it's a lot easier to save money than it is to make more. (although I've heard some great ideas for how to make some extra money on the side without putting in any serious time commitments...ie plasma donation)

Personally I never have cash on me. I haven't carried cash since I was in high school for my lunch money. When I have cash it jumps out of my wallet very quickly and runs away. Which leads me to rely heavily on buying everything with my debit card. Which can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Wherever I go I always keep in mind that I have the potential to put myself in a bind if I overspend. When I go somewhere like the grocery store or other stores I have in mind how much money I can spend to stay on budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics