Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:54 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,395,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
A "total collapse" is UNlikely.

This thread is really about the first five minutes of Wednesday. Will you be long come 4:00pm EST today (Tuesday)? Or will you be short? Or will you be out?

All bets are off after 9:35am EST Wednesday.
I didn't say immediately, I said "within a year of his election." Of course I'm no prophet and may be wrong but we'll see. I certainly don't think we'll have a rally in the markets tomorrow if he's elected, if we were to have one it would be in spite of his election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I didn't say immediately, I said "within a year of his election." Of course I'm no prophet and may be wrong but we'll see. I certainly don't think we'll have a rally in the markets tomorrow if he's elected, if we were to have one it would be in spite of his election.
I know. I'm saying a total collapse in the next year is UNlikely. And I'm saying this thread isn't about the next year, it's about the first minute of Wednesday.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
...watch the markets on Nov.5th rally like nothing you have ever seen before ! I expect the DOW to close + 800-1000 points...
Down 171 points at 9:43am EST.

I sold immediately, taking a small loss today after a big gain yesterday.

Not going short right now though. Volatility has left the market to some extent. I had expected a bigger jump or drop on the open.

I don't see an 800 point rally or a rally like we've never seen before... Maybe a McCain miracle would have caused that...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,222,269 times
Well this market today is about the economy..not the election. The election was already priced in with an Obama win.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,489,071 times
Default U.S. Stock-Index Futures Drop; Nucor, Transocean Retreat

Quote:
U.S. Stock-Index Futures Drop; Nucor, Transocean Retreat
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

BTW........who cares? The only reason why the stock market would go up dramatically is just a shortterm show of confidence for the president elect.
And really. It would be a Real short term thing. Overall it would do nothing to help our economy get out of it woes.

Let me just say now that is all over. Obama is screwed. Unless he can actually walk across water. He probably a one termer. He can't fix this economy. Only we can. BUT he will get the blame for our economic woes if he can't fix it in this term of office.
In fact look at his speech very closely from last night. He already is kind of conceding that we probably won't be able to fix the economy in his first term.

Quote:
The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there
NDTV.com: Full text of President-elect Barack Obama's victory speech

Last edited by baystater; 11-05-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,375,086 times
-

Last edited by goodbyehollywood; 11-05-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,375,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

I fact look at his speech very closely last night. He already kind of conceding that we probably won't be able to save the economy in his first term.

NDTV.com: Full text of President-elect Barack Obama's victory speech

He sure wasn't saying that before the election, though. Then he was selling hard on all the change that's comin'. Yeah, well, it'll be goin' in four years. Anybody walking into this kind of financial crisis is going to fail people's expectations. Obama ratcheted the bar even higher. Talk's easy. Walking the walk is going to be a lot harder... especially for someone who won on charisma and eloquence, instead of experience. People will be disillusioned very quickly. Some already are, and they're voicing their discontent via the stock market.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,395,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
He sure wasn't saying that before the election, though. Then he was selling hard on all the change that's comin'. Yeah, well, it'll be goin' in four years. Anybody walking into this kind of financial crisis is going to fail people's expectations. Obama ratcheted the bar even higher. Talk's easy. Walking the walk is going to be a lot harder... especially for someone who won on charisma and eloquence, instead of experience. People will be disillusioned very quickly. Some already are, and they're voicing their discontent via the stock market.
It was posted in the politics forum that his campaign knew he couldn't do what he was promising, that they wanted to try to soften the disappointment after his election.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 AM

5,005 posts, read 7,848,142 times
glad I stayed on the short side instead of selling SDS at a loss. I believe we'll continue to drift downward well into next year. When inflation starts to set in, all bets are off. Better secure some commodities now while their in the doldrums.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,489,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
To be honest Ggh. McCain would probably be just as screwed as Obama is, even with his experience. Basically there not that much they can do to stop a fall in a "free" market. We all are going to have to ride out the storm and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics