Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
duck season....
...shotgun shells are EXPENSIVE. Each shell is at least $1(the ones I use anyway) so you'd better be a good shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Ramen is not nutritious at all. The point of the exercise is to eat cheaply and healthfully, not just get by on crap.

The list I posted could sustain you nutritionally for an indefinite amount of time, especially if you switch out the onions for cabbage or carrots or whatever other vegetable is in season or on sale. You could even toss out the chicken, and buy more veggies instead if you were so inclined, and the lentils could be any dry legume that you find for a low price.
Yeah I know....I was kidding.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,521 times
why do you ask this question, eat a USD? I think I can

Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
...shotgun shells are EXPENSIVE. Each shell is at least $1(the ones I use anyway) so you'd better be a good shot.
Elmer season?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
If you had to, do you think you could eat for a dollar a day?

If you have no choice, that is?

That's what these people managed to do.

"This fall a couple in Encinitas, Calif., conducted their own experiment to find out what it was like to live for a month on just a dollar a day for food. Overnight, their diets changed significantly. The budget forced them to give up many store-bought foods and dinners out. Even bread and canned refried beans were too expensive."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...em&oref=slogin
We already eat for less than $1 per day, per person. I use coupons and rebates heavily, get turkey and ham free at Thanksgiving and Christmas, other meats in the summer and stock up. I try to stock up on raw ingredients and not too much processed stuff. Most of my grocery budget goes for milk, produce, eggs and fresh staples, the rest is free or cheap with coupons. I can usually pick up 'scratch and dent' produce for 50-75% of regular price. I tried a little container garden this summer but didn't get much from it, I will try again next year or may 'rent' some garden space from a neighbor. I would love to freeze and can veggies to last through the winter although we regularly get good deals on frozen veggies with coupons.

You don't have to eat pb&j and ramen noodles to eat cheap. Blech...personally I never eat ramen although the kids like them for an occasional treat.

The kids pack lunches from home but Dh usually eats lunch out a few times a week. That money doesn't come from our grocery budget and he could easily cut it out.

Some examples:
I have enough free oatmeal to last the winter for breakfasts. Add in some bacon (.35 a pound), eggs and hash browns and that makes for a very hearty breakfast.
I just had a steaming bowl of turkey vegetable soup and and a side of peaches for lunch.
For dinner we will have tuna patties, broccoli and rice.

It is work to accomplish this, but we have MORE than enough food on a very low budget and even manage to donate to food pantries when we find a good deal and have extra coupons.

No doubt the couple in the article was not informed on how to best use their dollar a day if they didn't eat any fresh fruit or veggies for a month!! It is possible, maybe not easy but possible. Certainly the couple who had $5.87 per day per person had no excuse for eating boxed macaroni and cheese. That would give them $167 per week for a family of 4. Geesh, that is more than we were spending before we started using coupons!!

Last edited by NCyank; 11-05-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
The challenge would be a little harder for me, since I eat at least twice as much as most people, and I'm not satified by a starchy meal that has no protein or fats.

But you do need a starch base to eat cheaply unless you're scrounging around like Harry Chickpea (who had some very good ideas, but not enough food for me).

All this for a month would be the base starch, protein, oil, vitamins, and minerals.

25 lbs of rice $12 .... this has gone way up in price recently

20 of all-purpose flour, which can be made into either bread or pasta. $10

A quart of oil, $2

10 lbs of beans, I'd have to put up with the "aftereffects" for the sake of economical protein and calories, even though normally I avoid the stuff. $5

15 multivitamin/mineral pills (you can get 300 at Costco for about $15, so about .05 per pill or .75)

1 lb salt .25

All that would be nutritionally adequate, with pills supplying the essential vitamins and minerals, and would be almost exactly $30 for a month. Costco shopping.

It could and would be supplemented by whatever foods I could get by hunting, trapping, fishing, foraging plant foods, and dumpster diving. However all but the dumpster diving is seasonal and can go WAY down to almost nothing in the winter.

For a little more liveability:

30 ramen packages for a month. $4.20 at this time

60 eggs (they come in 5 dozen packages, extra large). $10

Large package of dry milk (calcium, protein) about $12

oatmeal $3

Trail mix, added to oatmeal to boost nutrition and flavor, or for snacks $5 worth

5lbs of carrots, $3

5 lbs of cabbage, $4

5 lbs onions $3

gallon vinegar, $5 (this can take the place of most condiments, though it might take some getting used to).

12 cans of tomato paste for pasta sauce, $4

$5 worth of either mayonnaise or butter

10 lbs hamburger $20

10 lbs chicken legs $8

So $86 + $30 = $116, and the amounts might be enough for an ordinary-sized family of 3, especially if the meat is chopped small and used sparingly (as in stir-fried foods served on a big bed of rice, for one example.)

Last edited by Woof; 11-05-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times
dollar menu!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Ramen is not nutritious at all. The point of the exercise is to eat cheaply and healthfully, not just get by on crap.
The main reason it isn't good is the palm oil that is used to cook it. Although, when I'm lazy I put together a Ramen noodle soup, kind of a crude Pho noodle soup. I put 2 packs of Ramen with frozen mixed vegetables and mushrooms or tofu. That gives me carbs, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and protein. It's cheap too.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Sadly, I could never feed myself on just $1 a day. I live in Hawaii and EVERYTHING is expensive here, and there is little room to grow anything. I have never seen ramen at $0.20 a package. Heck, Spam is even expensive here.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Na... everybody has it wrong.

Eat like a KING for a month for $5.95. Just head down to the local Chinese buffet and follow 2 simple rules:

1) Don't leave.
2) And for Christ sakes... DON'T give up your fork !

Just have to think outside the box a little that's all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics