Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

November 9, 2008

Stunned Icelanders Struggle After Economy’s Fall

By SARAH LYALL
REYKJAVIK, Iceland — The collapse came so fast it seemed unreal, impossible. One woman here compared it to being hit by a train. Another said she felt as if she were watching it through a window. Another said, “It feels like you’ve been put in a prison, and you don’t know what you did wrong.”

This country, as modern and sophisticated as it is geographically isolated, still seems to be in shock. But if the events of last month — the failure of Iceland’s banks; the plummeting of its currency; the first wave of layoffs; the loss of reputation abroad — felt like a bad dream, Iceland has now awakened to find that it is all coming true.

It is not as if Reykjavik, where about two-thirds of the country’s 300,000 people live, is filled with bread lines or homeless shanties or looters smashing store windows. But this city, until recently the center of one of the world’s fastest economic booms, is now the unhappy site of one of its great crashes. It is impossible to meet anyone here who has not been profoundly affected by the financial crisis.

Overnight, people lost their savings. Prices are soaring. Once-crowded restaurants are almost empty. Banks are rationing foreign currency, and companies are finding it dauntingly difficult to do business abroad. Inflation is at 16 percent and rising. People have stopped traveling overseas. The local currency, the krona, was 65 to the dollar a year ago; now it is 130. Companies are slashing salaries, reducing workers’ hours and, in some instances, embarking on mass layoffs.

“No country has ever crashed as quickly and as badly in peacetime,” said Jon Danielsson, an economist with the London School of Economics........ (more at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/wo...nt&oref=slogin )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Very unfortunate. A beautiful country and wonderful people. I hope they recover soon.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I was told that they hate Americans.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
they should recover soon

small population, energy independant, educated people

Fishing industry is still important

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Unless that's a recent thing, I was there a few years ago onboard ship, let me tell you many of them really really like americans

Tony

p.s. What is happening there, could easily happen here. What's our biggest industry (in dollars generated) financial products, our disease (wall st greed) has infected the world, all I can say is damn.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Its too bad... everything has been exposed for the sham that it was... a country living on borrowed money was going to end up like that... there are plenty of Americans who live on borrowed money and they are the ones hurting the most... its the governments fault, not businesses... they allowed people to LIVE on BORROWED money, the Government CHANGED how people lived... in fact, Obama is trying to "save" this system... he wants to prop up prices so that people can still live on borrowed money... but then so was McCain... when will we get a president who will realize the sham that it is...

Old 11-08-2008, 07:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
If Obama's wants to change the system, then he has the wrong economic advisors in Rubin, Summers, and Geithner, especially the first two. They were the architects in the Clinton administration of the globalization scheme where we sell our toxic debt to the rest of the world.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Unless that's a recent thing, I was there a few years ago onboard ship, let me tell you many of them really really like americans

Tony

p.s. What is happening there, could easily happen here. What's our biggest industry (in dollars generated) financial products, our disease (wall st greed) has infected the world, all I can say is damn.
We didn't create greed or infect anyone with it.

And as for them hating us, that's something a friend told me. Said they would antagonize Americans while they were there. Maybe it's changed since that time.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
I don't really know how to break this to you, trish ..... but there aren't too many people abroad who really like us. Our govt has formal allies, but we as a people are not loved.

If you're travelling through other countries anywhere in the world, it's best to pretend you're Canadian if possible. They like Canadians.

Of course that presents a problem when travelling through Canada .....

Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
I've had to deal with quite a few of them over the years, and my impression has always been that they believe they are superior to Americans.

Looking at the television, it isn't hard to understand why....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics