Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

First one has to admit they have a problem.

The government has not "officially" said we are in a recession.
NAR will not admit there is a housing crisis.
Banks will not admit they are in trouble.

Corporations will not admit they are in a slowdown and have lower earnings..they will do whatever they can to make their 4Q "whisper" numbers in spite of these times.

The MSM calls bottom every other day.

Until the denial and illusion is over and reality sinks in..it will be very hard to get to a bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I'd bet on infrastructure and/or "green"/global warming conversion.

If people start to finally take Global Warming seriously, they'll realize it's a bigger threat than any war and a bigger priority than any greed-based prosperity. Based on my understanding of what global warming is predicted to do, I'm amazed there hasn't been a worldwide "all hands on deck" movement to change the culture rapidly enough to stop it.

WWII had kids collecting metal in their wagons, ladies donating their pantyhose, people rationed on gas, etc. Everyone had their duty to the cause. In theory, the planet is having a climate meltdown-- where is our reaction?
The global warning/climate meltdown theory is a joke, and actually overreacting to this will make the economy worse and delay recovery.

BUT...there is a thread of truth in this. Green technology, mostly to replace fossil fuels and find cheaper and more readily available alternative sources of energy (rather than to stop "global warming"), will be the technology of tommorrow. The country that develops these alternative fuel sources will have the edge and will come out of this world wide recession ahead of the rest. Business and science have to lead the way.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,036 times
I have a theory and it involves China and it's not pretty. Let's see, but we should all remember that China is not our friend.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I have a theory and it involves China and it's not pretty. Let's see, but we should all remember that China is not our friend.
Should we be learning to speak Chinese ?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Same here. I see an all-out World War with China sometimes in the 2010s.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
The only way I see out of it, is to be less dependent on foreign oil and get govt. to invest in alternative energies. (not ethanol) Which they will only do if the big oil companies will benefit somehow. The technology is out there, it can be done.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Cut the population by about one half. That'd do it.

Actually, I think science is the key. A paradigm shift is needed.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
All we need do is have some of the thousands of outsourced jobs return to the United States. When people are making a decent living you will see a return to positive economic condidtions. In addition people should realize that buying American goods help the economy. I'll say one thing. Of all the products which were once made in the U.S. and now in China, I don't think there is one that is made better because of outsourcing. They are made cheaper but not better. Walmart is full cheap goods produced in China.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
new world order

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM

84 posts, read 317,169 times
When home values increase..... Simple as that....

Stock market will run up, consumer spending will increase,,, and 5 years down the road this will be a distant memory...

Just like 1987, 2002, etc, etc..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics